Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Need help getting from point A (running Mojave as-is on Mac Pro) to point B (updated Mac Pro ROM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There appear to be only THREE possible video cards that can be used to do the Mojave firmware flash that allows the use of NVME SSDs. Those cards are
  • Radeon HD 7950 for Mac
  • Quadro K5000 for Mac
  • GTX 680 for Mac

Does anyone loan (rent) These cards out? Most of us would prefer to use something better but access to one of these cards is mandatory to do this ONE LAST firmware flash for the Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1. Market prices of these cards are INSANE considering you could buy a nice used MacBookPro (or build a decent hackintosh) for what they are getting for these old cards. Wondering if I should just wait it out. They should go down once the demand evaporates.

Anyone have a better idea? Something I had not considered?

------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I had previously upgraded to Boot ROM 140.0.0.0.0. I think I was able to do this with a Mac GT120 card that came with the MacPro. It currently has a single fan MSI RX 580 in it. This card gave me issues with my hackintoshes but works perfectly in the MacPro aside from the blank boot screen.

All the people who said you can't get to 144.0.0.0.0 without a Metal GPU with Mac EFI were WRONG. All I had to do was run the full 10.14.6 install from a 10.13.x boot disk. I got the Firmware message. Shut the MacPro off. Started it by holding down the power button until the power LED started blinking rapidly. Then I walked away from it for an hour.

I suspect most people who have tried and failed were too impatient to let the firmware upgrade complete. In summary:

• Upgraded my MacPro 4,1 to 5,1 ROM years ago (still says MacPro4,1)
  • Upgraded my MacPro 4,1 to 140.0.0.0.0 using either an NVidia 120 card for mac or a FirePro W7000 card when Mojave 10.14.0 came out.
  • Ran the firmware upgrade from a 10.14.6 installer "blindly" on a 10.13.x boot drive with an MSI RX580 card installed.
  • Done... 144.0.0.0.0 is installed.

Last edited:
There is a method to patch the Mojave installer to make it work on unsupported Macs. The interface will not look quite right without metal support, but that shouldn't concern you if you just want flash the firmware. I have done this before with only a non-metal AMD card, and a non-mac Vega card.

google macOS Mojave Patcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back