Graphics
HD 620, 1920*1080
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi community,

I would like to seek help with disabling and turn off the NVIDIA GPU on ASUS S510U laptop. The idle temperature of this laptop is currently 45'C, which seems not at an optimum level and believed the GPU is the culprit.

I've completed most of the DSDT / SSDT patches for making other stuffs to work, including the function keys, brightness, keyboard backlight and USB instant wake. Tried to follow RehabMan's guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/) for disabling the NVIDIA GPU.

However, I found the OFF method of the GPU calls \_SB.PCI0.RP01.PEGP.GC6I (). The EC related calls are inside GC6I with conditions and I am not sure how to move the only the EC codes there to _INI while keeping the conditions intact. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Would like to know how to proof if the NVIDIA GPU is disabled from IORegistryExplorer as well.

Attachments

• debug_1056.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 44
Hi community,

I would like to seek help with disabling and turn off the NVIDIA GPU on ASUS S510U laptop. The idle temperature of this laptop is currently 45'C, which seems not at an optimum level and believed the GPU is the culprit.

I've completed most of the DSDT / SSDT patches for making other stuffs to work, including the function keys, brightness, keyboard backlight and USB instant wake. Tried to follow RehabMan's guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/) for disabling the NVIDIA GPU.

However, I found the OFF method of the GPU calls \_SB.PCI0.RP01.PEGP.GC6I (). The EC related calls are inside GC6I with conditions and I am not sure how to move the only the EC codes there to _INI while keeping the conditions intact. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Would like to know how to proof if the NVIDIA GPU is disabled from IORegistryExplorer as well.
Hi there,

Congrats on getting the S510U going! It's not easy putting macOS onto a laptop, that's for sure.
As for the fix for your Nvidia gpu, well it used to be the case that we created our own SSDTs. But after the introduction of Opencore and Whatevergreen, it has largely taken away the frustration of building a good setup. Nowadays the method of disabling the GPU is simply either adding -wegnoepu to your boot-arg, or if that doesn't work using the Device Properties method of adding disable-gpu (Boolean, True) to the config.plist under your Nvidia's PCIRoot path. If you don't have it the path can be found using path/to/gfxutil -f GFX0 under Terminal using the gfxutil script > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/spoof.html#windows-gpu-selection

As for checking if it is disabled under IOReg, you can check the ACPIPlatform for PC10 and check if there are any NVDA or NV Kernel items in the tree. If there isn't then it means its disabled. You can also check it using Hackintools and looking under the PCIe listing under ASPM to see if it has been disabled.

Hi there,

Congrats on getting the S510U going! It's not easy putting macOS onto a laptop, that's for sure.
As for the fix for your Nvidia gpu, well it used to be the case that we created our own SSDTs. But after the introduction of Opencore and Whatevergreen, it has largely taken away the frustration of building a good setup. Nowadays the method of disabling the GPU is simply either adding -wegnoepu to your boot-arg, or if that doesn't work using the Device Properties method of adding disable-gpu (Boolean, True) to the config.plist under your Nvidia's PCIRoot path. If you don't have it the path can be found using path/to/gfxutil -f GFX0 under Terminal using the gfxutil script > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/spoof.html#windows-gpu-selection

As for checking if it is disabled under IOReg, you can check the ACPIPlatform for PC10 and check if there are any NVDA or NV Kernel items in the tree. If there isn't then it means its disabled. You can also check it using Hackintools and looking under the PCIe listing under ASPM to see if it has been disabled.
Hi Middleman,

Thank you, per checking, there's no NVIDIA device in Hackintool nor IORegistryExplorer. I am just not sure if it is still consuming power and generating heat under the hood. May I know if the wegnoepu or disable-gpu (Boolean, True) in the config.plist can help to turn off the NVIDIA so to make sure it's not draining my battery? Thank you so much.

Hi Middleman,

Thank you, per checking, there's no NVIDIA device in Hackintool nor IORegistryExplorer. I am just not sure if it is still consuming power and generating heat under the hood. May I know if the wegnoepu or disable-gpu (Boolean, True) in the config.plist can help to turn off the NVIDIA so to make sure it's not draining my battery? Thank you so much.
You’re welcome! Yes totally it should work although the device properties method is better I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back