GeForce
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi. I'm building a hackintosh for the first time and i want to make a computer that would fit my needs. I mostly only play video games and watch TV on my computer so I was planning to get the WaterForce graphic cards from gigabyte, but its making me have multiple headaches. I want the graphics card for future monitor updates and good graphics, but its making me rethink about the motherboard and processor that i should get. I do a little video rendering for school projects and on TV that i downloaded off the internet. I was hoping to add a wifi card to my motherboard but the graphics cards will cover all the other ports making it impossible to add a wifi card and I'm concurred about what type of cpu to get.(I don't plan to overclock the cpu unless its strongly recommend)

Main point is I'm looking for a motherboard that is compatible with hackintosh, has 8 slots of ram with a max capability of 64Gb memory or higher and its PCIe ports are organized slightly differently that the current motherboard I'm looking at so I can add a wifi card that has bluetooth integrated in it.
Should I get a processor with a high Ghz speed or a lot of cores?
(I know the ideal range processor for this type of build is 8 cores or higher with a clock speed of 2.7Ghz or higher, but I'm really lost thats to the fact that i need to make sure everything is hackintosh compatible while making sure that every piece of hardware is compatible with each other.)

This is what I'm currently looking at but I want to get a better motherboard:

WaterForce Gigebyte graphics cards:
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.01.04 PM.png
Gigabyte LGA 2011 DDR3 2133 Intel C606 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Motherboard:
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.05.10 PM.png

These are the current processors I'm looking at:

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP 3.0GHz 25MB L3 Cache LGA 2011:
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.05.26 PM.png

Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz LGA 2011-v3:
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 4.05.40 PM.png

Hi. I'm building a hackintosh for the first time and i want to make a computer that would fit my needs. I mostly only play video games and watch TV on my computer

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm not clear on why you want to build a socket 2011 system
with 64GB of ram for mainly gaming and a little bit of video editing. The build that you are
proposing would make sense for a Pro video editor who is making a living editing 4K or more. I
would suggest you go with a Z97X-UD5H and a 4790K cpu. 16 GB of ram would be plenty for gaming
and occasional video editing. If you think you'd use 32 GB then just get one of those kits right away.

You can still use a high end Nvidia graphics card (980) or even two of those, with no problem with this system and get the same or better gaming performance as you would with a socket 2011 8 core build. SLI 3 way will not give you any advantage in OS X if you plan on gaming with that OS.

The socket 1150 system would save you a lot of money on your build that you could invest in other
areas like 850 Pro SSDs for a boot drive and storage, a nicer case or better power supply. Best of all
the 4790K 1150 system is super easy to install OS X on. The socket 2011, not so much. There is no
support for Haswell-E in OS X as of today.

Here's an article that describes testing how many cpu cores current games can use.
http://www.dsogaming.com/editorial/...e-to-take-advantage-of-more-than-4-cpu-cores/

So unless you really want to future proof your system for many years the best way to go is with
either a 4690(K) or 4790(K) for your CPU.

I didn't know a lot about computers especially when it comes to hackintosh. I just wanted to build a computer that would be great for gaming, last me a long time, good for video editing, and be great for multiple 4k monitors when I finally get the money to buy these monitors. I don't know anything about CPU sockets, motherboards and graphics cards. If there is a better motherboard and cpu I'm all ears.

I know I sound very greedy. I love my current computer, but its outdated and upgrading it isn't possible anymore. If I'm going to replace it I want to make something that is as powerful as a maxed out mac pro but cost a lot less. The only requirements I want it to meet is that it has 64Gb memory, can run multiple 4k monitors, several 3.0 USB slots, has a powerful CPU with at least 8 cores with a clock speed of 3.0Ghz and most importantly can run Yosemite and future mac updates on it. Other wise it won't be much different from my current computer.

My current computer current stats straight from the system information app(keep in mind I have upgraded it several times):
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 1.32.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 1.33.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 1.31.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 1.30.55 AM.png

If you have to have 8 cores and 64GB of ram then your best option is a Haswell-E I7-5960X
and a Socket 2011 motherboard. The problem with going that route is no support in OS X
yet and no detailed Golden Build yet for you to follow step by step to get a successful build
up and running smoothly. I couldn't imagine myself having success with a socket 2011 computer
as my first build and no experience building a PC or Customac. So here's what I would do if I
were you. First do a lot of research here on what components to choose and then build your
PC and install Windows 7 or 8.1 on it, which is many times easier than OS X. Use that OS until
Apple refreshes the Mac Pro and there is Haswell E support in OS X whatever the next version
is called. Then find a User/Golden build guide with the same hardware as you've chosen and
install OS X following those detailed instructions. It's going to be a long learning process so take
your time to do the research you need now and get that first build experience out of the way before
you try OS X on your new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back