Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Need help: Audio not working with Mojave on a Gigabyte z170x-Designare mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Like the title says. I have upgraded the OS on my trusty Hackintosh from Sierra to Mojave and finally been able to get it working, changing GPU from Nvidia 980Ti to Amd RX580 in the process. Seems like everything is working except audio and Quicklook with JPEGs. And I can't access the internal Areca RAID PCI card ATM, but I'll deal with that later. Baby steps :)

Have attempted to follow some advice scattered around the forums regarding audio on similar 170 boards with Realtek ALC1150, but haven't found anything related directly to this exact mobo, so feels a bit like fumbling in the dark ATM. So far my attempts at editing config.plist, making edits in clover configurator etc. using advice for similar (but not the exact same) mobo have only introduced new issues, forcing me to restore from a CCC-cloned backup. Would really love to hear from people that have experience with this exact card or ALC1150 - or any of the Gurus out there :)

Alternatively, if someone have a good recipe for a complete reinstallation with the exact settings needed to make this work if taking the trouble to go through a complete reinstall, then I'm all ears. But I suspect all I'm missing is a tiny, but crucial detail :)

Edit: I should probably add that I had audio working with this same mobo under Sierra. But made a complete reinstall when installing Mojave, only re-importing my stuff using the Migration Assistant after getting it up and running. I used the Mojave Beta guide using UniBeast when creating the installation stick, if memory serves me correctly.

Last edited:
Like the title says. I have finally been able to get my Hackintosh with the above mobo working, changing GPU from Nvidia 980Ti to Amd RX580 in the process. Seems like everything is working except audio and Quicklook with JPEGs. And I can't access the internal Areca RAID PCI card ATM, but I'll deal with that later. Baby steps :)

Have attempted to follow some advice scattered around the forums regarding audio on similar 170 boards with Realtek ALC1150, but haven't found anything related directly to this exact mobo, so feels a bit like fumbling in the dark ATM. So far my attempts at editing config.plist, making edits in clover configurator etc. using advice for similar (but not the exact same) mobo have only introduced new issues, forcing me to restore from a CCC-cloned backup. Would really love to hear from people that have experience with this exact card or ALC1150 - or any of the Gurus out there :)

Alternatively, if someone have a good recipe for a complete reinstallation with the exact settings needed to make this work if taking the trouble to go through a complete reinstall, then I'm all ears. But I suspect all I'm missing is a tiny, but crucial detail :)

Edit: I should probably add that I had audio working with this same mobo under Sierra. But made a complete reinstall when installing Mojave, only re-importing my stuff using the Migration Assistant after getting it up and running. I used the Mojave Beta guide using UniBeast when creating the installation stick, if memory serves me correctly.
  • Upload the EFI Folder [Zipped] from your Mojave System Disk that has audio problem.
  • Since EFI Partition is hidden, to unhide and mount it on the desktop to find the containing EFI Folder, you may download and use EFI Mounter V3:Download

Thanks a lot for your response cmn699, I have zipped the EFI Folder and attached here. I really appreciate you taking the time to help! :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    26.2 MB · Views: 61
Thanks a lot for your response cmn699, I have zipped the EFI Folder and attached here. I really appreciate you taking the time to help! :)

I have reviewed and made some annotations on the Screen Captures of your EFI_CLOVER FileTree and config.plist_ Devices and Rt Variables. ACPI looked OK to me.

I noted you had created an ACPI SSDT.
Remove and save
it elsewhere while making the suggested changes to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and config.plist and reboot and test audio.
Post details about your Speaker system.

Attachments

• 1.EFI_CLOVER FileTree.png
    1.EFI_CLOVER FileTree.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 1.ACPI.png
    1.ACPI.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 2.Devices.png
    2.Devices.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 3.Rt Variables_CsrActiveConfig.png
    3.Rt Variables_CsrActiveConfig.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 73
Thanks a lot again cmn699, I'm SO grateful!

I'm in the middle of two work deadlines right now and can't risk altering anything ATM as I'm using the Hackintosh in the process. Have to take care of first things first, but will hopefully be able to dive into this again in the beginning of next week - praying that I've been able to deliver the projects by then!

Hi cmn699, this took WAY longer than anticipated as I've been bogged down with work and just had to continue using my Hackintosh in a semi-permanent state of unfinishedness to get work done, but I've finally managed to follow your suggestions, as well as another tutorial on fixing USB issues and WHAM! - my Hackintosh is now working fine! Thank you so much!

Hi cmn699, this took WAY longer than anticipated as I've been bogged down with work and just had to continue using my Hackintosh in a semi-permanent state of unfinishedness to get work done, but I've finally managed to follow your suggestions, as well as another tutorial on fixing USB issues and WHAM! - my Hackintosh is now working fine! Thank you so much!
Glad you were able to troubleshoot and fix the remaining issues with your Hackintosh to make it a fully functioning system.
Congratulations :clap:
  • Considering the trouble you had in its original installation, creating a Clone of this fully working System Disk will be a good idea as a working rescue/replacement disk in case of disk failure/corruption. : Clonezilla is a Free Cloning tool -> #2
  • Keeping a copy of current BIOS options on a FAT32 Formatted Flash disk by taking screen shots will be another way to insure a speedy recovery.
    • You can make Autocapture of BIOS Images on to the EFI Partition (it is formatted as FAT32) of macOSMojave USB installer : #33
  • You can also keep a duplicate of your working macOSMojave USB installer using "Restore" menu of Disk Utility of your macOS Mojave on to another USB Flash disk of same size after Erase [see Disk Utility Image] and then copy and paste the EFI Folder from the original USB Installer on to the Blank EFI partition of the Cloned Flash Disk created using "Restore" and its EFI Partition Mounted using a EFI Mounter V3 Download or Clover Configurator Global Clover Configurator (Global Edition)-> #4 .

Attachments

• 1.DU.png
    1.DU.png
    218 KB · Views: 56
Thanks again cmn699, I've already followed advice #1 and now keep a permanent, second SSD in my build that I've just cloned the system onto, so I have a fall-back disc to a known working state if something should ever happen. I also now plan to religiously follow the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" principle for the foreseeable future, or at least until next time I have a long uninterrupted stretch of disposable time on my hands (as if that's ever going to happen with a full job and three kids...:D) I use Carbon Copy Cloner as I already have a license I've paid for, but thanks for suggesting CloneZilla, I'd welcomed the savings if I hadn't already spent the money on CCC :)
The BIOS backup and USB advice is genius, I'll look into that - thanks again!:headbang:

Looks like we have the same system. Was wondering if the move to Mojave is still working good for you as I'm tempted to update from Sierra as well.

Do you have any issues with Usb 3 external drives and or thunderbolt?

Hi KeNiQ!

Yes, after some initial problems that cmn699 helped me solve (thanks again cmn699!) my Mojave install has been rock solid.

No issues with USB3 as far as I can tell.

I don't really know regarding Thunderbolt as I've avoided Thunderbolt ever since switching to Hackintosh - as I am yet undecided if this is going to be a temporary move before switching completely to Windows, and as Thunderbolt support on the Windows platform seems rather scarce.

The recent release of a new MacPro gives some reason to be cautiously optimistic that the Hackintosh route may be a viable one for years to come though. I'm just not sure it will be worth the hassle over a Windows environment. Still on the fence, but as what I have works very well for now, I'm in no rush to change anything :)

My plans as of now is to keep my options open by building a FreeNAS server for my archival storage needs because of the ZFX file integrity benefits, and connect it to my Hackintosh through 10 Gigabit Ethernet, as it seems like these components can now be purchased at quite reasonable prices if you research which parts to look for.

Part of my decision here regarding Thunderbolt vs. 10 Gbe Ethernet is based on the fact that I don't want my data to become hostage in the event of a driver or other issues cuts off my Thunderbolt connection, as it seems a bit finicky.

And I don't like that Thunderbolt on the Hackintosh requires reboots on connect/disconnect. I don't like rebooting my Hackintosh needlessly as it seems the few issues I've had with mine have been connected to reboots. It may be just superstition, but I just try to avoid anything that may cause any issues, and will rather take the extra electricity bill. Need to keep my Hack running because of online cloud backup anyway. And I'm figuring that the worst that can happen with a 10Gbe solution is that I will fall back to slower speeds and not get full throttle I/O - at least I will still have access to my data, albeit at a slower rate.

But this is just the theory for now, and it may be flawed - I've been far to busy using my super stable Hackintosh for work to actually do any of this, or research it fully, yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back