Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Need help: Audio not working with Mojave on a Gigabyte z170x-Designare mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi KeNiQ!

Yes, after some initial problems that cmn699 helped me solve (thanks again cmn699!) my Mojave install has been rock solid.

No issues with USB3 as far as I can tell.

I don't really know regarding Thunderbolt as I've avoided Thunderbolt ever since switching to Hackintosh - as I am yet undecided if this is going to be a temporary move before switching completely to Windows, and as Thunderbolt support on the Windows platform seems rather scarce.

The recent release of a new MacPro gives some reason to be cautiously optimistic that the Hackintosh route may be a viable one for years to come though. I'm just not sure it will be worth the hassle over a Windows environment. Still on the fence, but as what I have works very well for now, I'm in no rush to change anything :)

My plans as of now is to keep my options open by building a FreeNAS server for my archival storage needs because of the ZFX file integrity benefits, and connect it to my Hackintosh through 10 Gigabit Ethernet, as it seems like these components can now be purchased at quite reasonable prices if you research which parts to look for.

Part of my decision here regarding Thunderbolt vs. 10 Gbe Ethernet is based on the fact that I don't want my data to become hostage in the event of a driver or other issues cuts off my Thunderbolt connection, as it seems a bit finicky.

And I don't like that Thunderbolt on the Hackintosh requires reboots on connect/disconnect. I don't like rebooting my Hackintosh needlessly as it seems the few issues I've had with mine have been connected to reboots. It may be just superstition, but I just try to avoid anything that may cause any issues, and will rather take the extra electricity bill. Need to keep my Hack running because of online cloud backup anyway. And I'm figuring that the worst that can happen with a 10Gbe solution is that I will fall back to slower speeds and not get full throttle I/O - at least I will still have access to my data, albeit at a slower rate.

But this is just the theory for now, and it may be flawed - I've been far to busy using my super stable Hackintosh for work to actually do any of this, or research it fully, yet :)

Hi Lazerbean,

thanks for getting back to me. I'm currently in the process of buying the card you have in your profile as well as another drive. If you don't mind me asking, which installation guide did you follow and which version of sierra did you start from? Im currently on 10.12.3. Last with the usb 3, does it see external drives connected to it? The thunderbolt situation makes perfect sense. Thanks again for your help.

Ah, sorry, misunderstood.

Also see that I forgot to answer your question regarding USB 3 drives - no issues connecting at all.

As far as Mojave upgrade guides go, I used a mix of different guides listed below to both upgrade and fix various issues after the fact:

And of course then I used this thread to solve the audio issues. But I suspect I could have avoided all that if I had just paid enough attention to guidelines when upgrading my Hackintosh, I think I missed some small but important detail because I was rushing things a bit, and that important omission resulted in the debacle above. Had I paid full attention instead of rushing it, then I'd probably ended up saving a ton of time not having to troubleshoot after the fact. Rushing things is a very bad idea when working with Hackintosh'es (or computers in general) it seems:)

Thanks @lazerbean Looks like I have quite a bit to lean here, glad there are video tutorials. Thanks so much. I'll let you know how it goes. Ordering back up drive and new card this week.

Break a leg! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back