Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi Geeks,

I wanted to build my first hackintosh machine for High-End 3d & Vfx work. I am clueless.

I am not sure about what works with what.... Can you please post me the best configuration that would works for my high-end projects.

Thanks in advance.

Please anybody help me.

My budget is $2000

You can either go with the 1155 socket or 2011 socket (no power management or speedstep) or Ivy Bridge socket.

Here is some research on that end.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33693

What is the different between 1155 and 2011 ?

on socket 2011 there are six-core cpus

I have some other threads. They all talking about 1155. Is there is any reason on it?

Does gigabyte motherboard with thunderbolt has come???

as i understand it, 1155 is the socket which works best.
you might run into problems with the 2011 (e.g., power management and speed step as jester969 mentioned), as there are no 2011 socket macs.

a sixcore processor should be faster on multicore-things - e.g. rendering - but it's also more expensive. you won't get double the speed for double the money...
also, keep in mind, that you need more ram for a processor with more cores (2-3GB per core for After Effects Rendering), and maybe a motherboard with tripple channel ram for a six core processor (not sure about that).

so, as i see it, the easy way to a pretty fast workstation would be a core i7 sandy bridge (maybe wait a few weeks if ivy bridge macs come out) processor (e.g. 2700k) on a 1155 mainboard, the hard, more expensive (but within your budget) and probably even faster workstation would be a 6 core processor on a 2011 mainboard.

don't know about thunderbolt - there are some mainboard from asus, msi and intel out with thunderbolt - all socket 1155 - and gigabyte will have some in the near future ( http://www.techpowerup.com/165976/GIGAB ... rbolt.html ). but don't know if anybody got it working on a hackintosh yet.

please show me the other threads, i'd also like to know more on that.

tazmanian said:
Hi Geeks,

I wanted to build my first hackintosh machine for High-End 3d & Vfx work. I am clueless.

I am not sure about what works with what.... Can you please post me the best configuration that would works for my high-end projects.

Thanks in advance.
For VFX you will want as many cores as you can possibly afford for rendering. For 2k, you can afford to go with the 3930k 6 core processor, 32gb quad channel ram, and TX 570 or 580. which won't disappoint you. Would recommend a crucial M4 SSD as well. My system is built for rendering, vFX and cad, and it is over clocked to 4.2ghz and seriously produces. Can't work on the macbookpro now it's so slow.

The lack of power mngment, and speed stepping doesn't really affect me as I'm usually pushing it full bore anyways.
Hope this helps.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back