Contribute
Register

Need Configuration for HIGH-END VFX work

Status
Not open for further replies.
eilfurz said:
as i understand it, 1155 is the socket which works best.
you might run into problems with the 2011 (e.g., power management and speed step as jester969 mentioned), as there are no 2011 socket macs.

a sixcore processor should be faster on multicore-things - e.g. rendering - but it's also more expensive. you won't get double the speed for double the money...
also, keep in mind, that you need more ram for a processor with more cores (2-3GB per core for After Effects Rendering), and maybe a motherboard with tripple channel ram for a six core processor (not sure about that).

so, as i see it, the easy way to a pretty fast workstation would be a core i7 sandy bridge (maybe wait a few weeks if ivy bridge macs come out) processor (e.g. 2700k) on a 1155 mainboard, the hard, more expensive (but within your budget) and probably even faster workstation would be a 6 core processor on a 2011 mainboard.

don't know about thunderbolt - there are some mainboard from asus, msi and intel out with thunderbolt - all socket 1155 - and gigabyte will have some in the near future ( http://www.techpowerup.com/165976/GIGAB ... rbolt.html ). but don't know if anybody got it working on a hackintosh yet.

please show me the other threads, i'd also like to know more on that.

We have one participant who already has thunderbolt hardware getting ready to to see what happens.

viewtopic.php?f=169&t=62154

@OP

You can check the user build section for 2011 setups for specs and hardware to round up a list.

Yeah I would like to have a 6 core processor. 32 GB ram is too much for me ... I rather stick to 16 GB. PSU 1000 ??

What graphic card is good ? I like Gigabyte motherboard .... Can someone recommend me ? My most worries is the compatibility for Lion OSx.

Thats why I ask for the best configuration so I do not worry buying them.

Hi everyone,

just as tazmanian, I do a lot of 3d work and rendering. I have chosen to build a system with the following components, based on mitchellk's Golden Build:

- ASUS Sabertooth X79
- Intel Core i7-3930K
- MSI N580GTX
- Corsair Vengeance 16GB
- plus some things like water cooling, case, ssd, power, etc.

Will these four major components work together following mitchellk's guideline?
I would greatly appreciate your help and considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back