Ryzen 9 5950X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello guys

I would like to buy a relatively cheap ($20-$90) sound card compatible with Mountain Lion

Hopefully form a company that created the card to be compatible with Mac in the first place

I appreciate responses. I know Realtek audio works great, would be awesome to have a card with that chipset.

I don't care about fancy features, but Optical Audio out would be nice

I don't want USB, and PCI is too old, I would prefer PCI-E

Thanks in advance

If you want cheap and something that works great then it's hard to beat USB. Creative, for example, makes several Mac products but they are all USB.

PCIe Mac-compatible audio interfaces are above your listed price range starting around $500. They are meant more for recording studios than for general home use.

Consider that the only Mac with a PCIe slot is the Mac Pro. It already has sound so there is little market for what you're asking for in the non-Hackintosh world. On the other hand, plenty of recording studios use Mac Pro computers so there is a plethora of high-end options.

Here is a PCI (not PCIe) card that is in your price range at $85: M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

As for USB, you might want to consider the Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX USB ($64.99). The Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Alpha gaming headset ($40) can be used both as a headset and as a stand-alone sound card because the headset unplugs from the USB interface. Even a cheap Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB ($9) works great. Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II USB ($23) also works well. All of these USB adapters and the PCI card are compatible with Mac or PC so you can dual boot.

You can get some cheap-o USB compatible sound cards, around $20 for a line in and out. Otherwise, you'll need to get a PCI card.

There are no Realtek PCI cards available on the market unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back