Contribute
Register

Need Assistance For Backlight Adjustment (Laptop) Includes solution to enable NVIDIA GFX only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I applied the PLNF patch on my DSDT. However, it did absolutely nothing, and I still can't adjust my screen brightness in either integrated only or dedicated only graphics modes. I installed the patched DSDT in the patched folder within the ACPI folder within clover. Did I apply the wrong patch? The screen brightness problem is the only one I have, yet the most annoying, and the only one in which no solutions appear to work.

Okay so I applied the PLNF patch on my DSDT. However, it did absolutely nothing, and I still can't adjust my screen brightness in either integrated only or dedicated only graphics modes. I installed the patched DSDT in the patched folder within the ACPI folder within clover. Did I apply the wrong patch? The screen brightness problem is the only one I have, yet the most annoying, and the only one in which no solutions appear to work.

For Intel graphics, see guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/

Thank you very much for your help over the last few days RehabMan. You've been a big help. I actually found a different method to fix the backlight issue (kind of). I read on another forum something about using a legacy boot ROM with clover, and it sparked my memory on my experience with previous hackintoshes. On legacy systems, the backlight is hardware controlled by the BIOS, eliminating the need for any DSDT patches. However since my system uses both legacy and UEFI boot modes, I was able to force OSX to boot at the minimum screen brightness level, so my eyes are perfectly comfortable now, although I still can't adjust the backlight within OSX itself, but it's not much of a problem anymore since I can boot into OSX at minimum backlight intensity. I'll try that guide you posted a link to and see if it enables the brightness slider. Thanks again!

Do you still have your alienware hackintosh?

Do you still have your alienware hackintosh?
Yes I do! Need help brother?

I upgraded my Alien's graphics card to a GTX 1060 about a month ago and installed MacOS Sierra so I could use my GTX 1060 with MacOS. Unfortunately now I can't use the legacy option ROM as a workaround for the screen brightness since enabling this option makes the laptop fail to POST when a Maxwell or Pascal card is installed in it. I'll have to find a different fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back