Contribute
Register

Need advice on how to use RAID0 for both OS X & Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The simplest and most reliable choice for cross platform data access is a NAS.

I do have a NAS ... the dlink DNS-323 but I stopped using it because RAID seemed more convenient. If I hooked it back up, how would I format the drives so that both OS X and Windows would be able to read/write form it?

My desktop has always been a Windows machine but now that OS X runs great on this system I'm finding that my old ways are no longer serving me. OS X sees both my 1 TB drives but yes they don't work.

I was using RAID as my backup because it seemed like the best way. I had Windows installed on an SSD and all my storage and applications run off the the 1 TB drive. Everything is instantly copied over. If one of the drives failed, I had a backup. Is there a better setup than what I have now?

Generally you want your backup device to be as reliable as possible. Using RAID0 increases the chance of total loss of the backup device because if one member of the RAID0 set fails, all data is lost.

Either I don't understand exactly what you're doing with RAID0 or you don't understand what RAID0 is.

Generally you want your backup device to be as reliable as possible. Using RAID0 increases the chance of total loss of the backup device because if one member of the RAID0 set fails, all data is lost.

Either I don't understand exactly what you're doing with RAID0 or you don't understand what RAID0 is.

Sorry... my mistake. I meant RAID 1 - mirror.

I have heard/read people saying RAID isn't the best way to backup your data. I don't exactly understand why not though if the data is being mirrored. I just thought if one drive fails, I have an exact copy ready to go.

Sorry... my mistake. I meant RAID 1 - mirror.

Yes, RAID0 much different than RAID1...

I have heard/read people saying RAID isn't the best way to backup your data. I don't exactly understand why not though if the data is being mirrored. I just thought if one drive fails, I have an exact copy ready to go.

RAID is not a backup strategy at all. It is a technology to increase data availability... reduce data downtime.

RAID does not protect against:
- user error (deleting files unintentionally)
- software errors (file system corruption)
- disaster (fire or other natural disasters)
- theft

Only backups (offsite) can protect against the above hazards.

Yes, RAID0 much different than RAID1...

RAID is not a backup strategy at all. It is a technology to increase data availability... reduce data downtime.

RAID does not protect against:
- user error (deleting files unintentionally)
- software errors (file system corruption)
- disaster (fire or other natural disasters)
- theft

Only backups (offsite) can protect against the above hazards.

So what would you suggest for a backup solution given I have 2x1 TB drives. Pull them out of the RAID setup and put them into a NAS?

So what would you suggest for a backup solution given I have 2x1 TB drives. Pull them out of the RAID setup and put them into a NAS?

The simplest option: pull them out and put each one into individual enclosures. Backup to one locally, keep another off-site. Swap the two devices at regular intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back