Graphics
XFX-R7870
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys... hoping someone here can give me advice on my setup. I'm running Win 7 on a 128gb SSD and have been running 2 x 1TB hard drives in RAID0. Basically I only used my desktop for Windows and keep all files and programs backed up on the 1 TB drive. I installed 10.9.2 on another 128gb SSD and now that I have it running just how I like, I wanted to access the RAID drive in OS X. In Mavericks, I see both hard drives where in Windows I would just see the one.

I tried NTFS-3G but didn't get very far so I went for Tuxera. Tuxera has enabled the read&write permissions but whenever I copy a file in OS X to the disk, it won't appear when I boot up in Windows. Windows almost always will need to do a chkdsk if I try copying or deleting files from within OS X. While in OS X everything works fine but after going into Windows it doesn't work properly.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to better use this setup. My alternative idea is to hook up an external USB hard drive to the time capsule and use that as the "go between". Although it would be so much more convenient to be able to access the 1 TB in OS X and in Windows 7 so that whatever work I do on those drives, is always backed up. Thanks for any input.

Bump up. Anyone have input on a scenario like this?

48 hour bump :)

Weekend bump :beachball:

One last bump before retiring

Hey guys... hoping someone here can give me advice on my setup. I'm running Win 7 on a 128gb SSD and have been running 2 x 1TB hard drives in RAID0. Basically I only used my desktop for Windows and keep all files and programs backed up on the 1 TB drive. I installed 10.9.2 on another 128gb SSD and now that I have it running just how I like, I wanted to access the RAID drive in OS X. In Mavericks, I see both hard drives where in Windows I would just see the one.

I tried NTFS-3G but didn't get very far so I went for Tuxera. Tuxera has enabled the read&write permissions but whenever I copy a file in OS X to the disk, it won't appear when I boot up in Windows. Windows almost always will need to do a chkdsk if I try copying or deleting files from within OS X. While in OS X everything works fine but after going into Windows it doesn't work properly.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to better use this setup. My alternative idea is to hook up an external USB hard drive to the time capsule and use that as the "go between". Although it would be so much more convenient to be able to access the 1 TB in OS X and in Windows 7 so that whatever work I do on those drives, is always backed up. Thanks for any input.

Windows software-based RAID0 (I assume this is Intel chipset software based RAID0) will not work in OS X. There is no driver support for it.

Why are you using RAID0 for backups?

If you want cross platform RAID, I think you need to use a Mac/Windows compatible hardware RAID card like Areca.

Windows software-based RAID0 (I assume this is Intel chipset software based RAID0) will not work in OS X. There is no driver support for it.

Why are you using RAID0 for backups?

My desktop has always been a Windows machine but now that OS X runs great on this system I'm finding that my old ways are no longer serving me. OS X sees both my 1 TB drives but yes they don't work.

I was using RAID as my backup because it seemed like the best way. I had Windows installed on an SSD and all my storage and applications run off the the 1 TB drive. Everything is instantly copied over. If one of the drives failed, I had a backup. Is there a better setup than what I have now?

The simplest and most reliable choice for cross platform data access is a NAS.

I constantly cross boot between mac and windows so I recently got macdrive so I can use my mac formatted drives on mac and windows (I don't trust exfat as it has failed me too many a times) and it has an option of accessing mac raid in the menus. I haven't used it but I saw it as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back