Gigabyte GA Z87X-D3H
CPU
lntel i5 4670K
Graphics
Onboard
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi All
I recently had my hard drive go down and i need to recover the data so I need to source a donor.
I brought it to a local repair place and the total cost of trying to get the it back up and running would mean selling a kidney.
They said I would need a donor and after exhausting a few options it would appear they are right but if I can source it myself that may help to bring the cost of repair down. Once I find the donor I'll then get a pro to look at it.
My question is what do I need to look for when trying to track down said hard drive? The repair guy said date, country, firmware and a few other things some of which are obvious. What code/numbers should I be looking for so that I get the right donor?
I have added a picture of my hard drive.
Any help would be great.

IMG_20210508_194925.jpg

Last edited:
What are you trying to do? Data recovery?

If it's data recovery, it can be quite expensive... Just search Google for "data recovery services".

If you just want to get up and running again with a new, working drive, you can use any standard hard drive or SSD. This should be quite inexpensive.

What are you trying to do?
I've done this before for a client.
The problem was the circuit board on his drive, swapped it with one from a donor and got it going again.

The problem was the circuit board on his drive, swapped it with one from a donor and got it going again.

Yes, that's usually the first thing to try because it's easiest. This is when identical model of drive is necessary.

What are you trying to do? Data recovery?

If it's data recovery, it can be quite expensive... Just search Google for "data recovery services".

If you just want to get up and running again with a new, working drive, you can use any standard hard drive or SSD. This should be quite inexpensive.
Data recovery is what I trying to do. Sorry I should of said in my post.

I've done some research and I'm fairly sure I need a exact copy of the drive. From what I understand there are drives that will work with a straight swap of the PCB but unfortunately not this one.

Have you first figured out the cause and type of failure ?

Here's some interesting info on types of HDD failures from Backblaze.

Reason One: Media Damage​

The number one reason, accounting for 70 percent of failures, is media damage, including full head crashes.

Modern hard drives stuff multiple, ultra thin platters inside that 3.5 inch metal package. These platters spin furiously at 5400 or 7200 revolutions per minute — that’s 90 or 120 revolutions per second! The heads that read and write magnetic data on them sweep back and forth only 6.3 micrometers above the surface of those platters. That gap is about 1/12th the width of a human hair and a miracle of modern technology to be sure. As you can imagine, a system with such close tolerances is vulnerable to sudden shock, as evidenced by DriveSavers’ results.

This damage occurs when the platters receive shock, i.e. physical damage from impact to the drive itself. Platters have been known to shatter, or have damage to their surfaces, including a phenomenon called head crash, where the flying heads slam into the surface of the platters. Whatever the cause, the thin platters holding 1s and 0s can’t be read.

It takes a surprisingly small amount of force to generate a lot of shock energy to a hard drive. I’ve seen drives fail after simply tipping over when stood on end. More typically, drives are accidentally pushed off of a desktop, or dropped while being carried around.

A drive might look fine after a drop, but the damage may have been done. Due to their rigid construction, heavy weight, and how often they’re dropped on hard, unforgiving surfaces, these drops can easily generate the equivalent of hundreds of g-forces to the delicate internals of a hard drive.

Reason Two: PCB Failure​

The next largest cause is circuit board failure, accounting for 18 percent of failed drives. Printed circuit boards (PCBs), those tiny green boards seen on the underside of hard drives, can fail in the presence of moisture or static electric discharge like any other circuit board.

Reason Three: Stiction​

Next up is stiction (a portmanteau of friction and sticking), which occurs when the armatures that drive those flying heads actually get stuck in place and refuse to operate, usually after a long period of disuse. DriveSavers found that stuck armatures accounted for 11 percent of hard drive failures.

It seems counterintuitive that hard drives sitting quietly in a dark drawer might actually contribute to its failure, but I’ve seen many older hard drives pulled from a drawer and popped into a drive carrier or connected to power just go thunk. It does appear that hard drives like to be connected to power and constantly spinning and the numbers seem to bear this out.

Reason Four: Motor Failure​

The last, and least common cause of hard drive failure, is hard drive motor failure, accounting for only 1 percent of failures, testament again to modern manufacturing precision and reliability.

Mitigating Hard Drive Failure Risk​

So now that you’ve seen the gory numbers, here are a few recommendations to guard against the physical causes of hard drive failure.

1. Have a physical drive handling plan and follow it rigorously​

If you must keep content on single hard drives in your location, make sure your team follows a few guidelines to protect against moisture, static electricity, and drops during drive handling. Keeping the drives in a dry location, storing the drives in static bags, using static discharge mats and wristbands, and putting rubber mats under areas where you’re likely to accidentally drop drives can all help.

It’s worth reviewing how you physically store drives, as well. DriveSavers tells us that the sudden impact of a heavy drawer of hard drives slamming home or yanked open quickly might possibly damage hard drives!

2. Spread failure risk across more drives and systems​

Improving physical hard drive handling procedures is only a small part of a good risk-reducing strategy. You can immediately reduce the exposure of a single hard drive failure by simply keeping a copy of that valuable content on another drive.This is a common approach for videographers moving content from cameras shooting in the field back to their editing environment. By simply copying content over from one fast drive to another, the odds of both drives failing at once are less likely. This is certainly better than keeping content on only a single drive, but definitely not a great long-term solution.

Multiple drive NAS and RAID systems reduce the impact of failing drives even further. A RAID 6 system composed of eight drives not only has much faster read and write performance than a single drive, but two of its drives can fail and still serve your files, giving you time to replace those failed drives.

Mitigating Data Corruption Risk​

The Risk of Bit Flips​

Beyond physical damage, there’s another threat to the files stored on hard disks: small, silent bit flip errors often called data corruption or bit rot.

Bit rot errors occur when individual bits in a stream of data in files change from one state to another (positive or negative, 0 to 1, and vice versa). These errors can happen to hard drive and flash storage systems at rest, or be introduced as a file is copied from one hard drive to another.

While hard drives automatically correct single-bit flips on the fly, larger bit flips can introduce a number of errors. This can either cause the program accessing them to halt or throw an error, or perhaps worse, lead you to think that the file with the errors is fine!

I've done some research and I'm fairly sure I need a exact copy of the drive. From what I understand there are drives that will work with a straight swap of the PCB but unfortunately not this one.
Anything other than a PCB swap is going to need a clean room/Data recovery lab.
Amateur attempts are likely to end in failure and the loss of your data.

Anything other than a PCB swap is going to need a clean room/Data recovery lab.
Amateur attempts are likely to end in failure and the loss of your data.
Agreed.

Have you first figured out the cause and type of failure ?

Here's some interesting info on types of HDD failures from Backblaze.

Reason One: Media Damage​

The number one reason, accounting for 70 percent of failures, is media damage, including full head crashes.

Modern hard drives stuff multiple, ultra thin platters inside that 3.5 inch metal package. These platters spin furiously at 5400 or 7200 revolutions per minute — that’s 90 or 120 revolutions per second! The heads that read and write magnetic data on them sweep back and forth only 6.3 micrometers above the surface of those platters. That gap is about 1/12th the width of a human hair and a miracle of modern technology to be sure. As you can imagine, a system with such close tolerances is vulnerable to sudden shock, as evidenced by DriveSavers’ results.

This damage occurs when the platters receive shock, i.e. physical damage from impact to the drive itself. Platters have been known to shatter, or have damage to their surfaces, including a phenomenon called head crash, where the flying heads slam into the surface of the platters. Whatever the cause, the thin platters holding 1s and 0s can’t be read.

It takes a surprisingly small amount of force to generate a lot of shock energy to a hard drive. I’ve seen drives fail after simply tipping over when stood on end. More typically, drives are accidentally pushed off of a desktop, or dropped while being carried around.

A drive might look fine after a drop, but the damage may have been done. Due to their rigid construction, heavy weight, and how often they’re dropped on hard, unforgiving surfaces, these drops can easily generate the equivalent of hundreds of g-forces to the delicate internals of a hard drive.

Reason Two: PCB Failure​

The next largest cause is circuit board failure, accounting for 18 percent of failed drives. Printed circuit boards (PCBs), those tiny green boards seen on the underside of hard drives, can fail in the presence of moisture or static electric discharge like any other circuit board.

Reason Three: Stiction​

Next up is stiction (a portmanteau of friction and sticking), which occurs when the armatures that drive those flying heads actually get stuck in place and refuse to operate, usually after a long period of disuse. DriveSavers found that stuck armatures accounted for 11 percent of hard drive failures.

It seems counterintuitive that hard drives sitting quietly in a dark drawer might actually contribute to its failure, but I’ve seen many older hard drives pulled from a drawer and popped into a drive carrier or connected to power just go thunk. It does appear that hard drives like to be connected to power and constantly spinning and the numbers seem to bear this out.

Reason Four: Motor Failure​

The last, and least common cause of hard drive failure, is hard drive motor failure, accounting for only 1 percent of failures, testament again to modern manufacturing precision and reliability.

Mitigating Hard Drive Failure Risk​

So now that you’ve seen the gory numbers, here are a few recommendations to guard against the physical causes of hard drive failure.

1. Have a physical drive handling plan and follow it rigorously​

If you must keep content on single hard drives in your location, make sure your team follows a few guidelines to protect against moisture, static electricity, and drops during drive handling. Keeping the drives in a dry location, storing the drives in static bags, using static discharge mats and wristbands, and putting rubber mats under areas where you’re likely to accidentally drop drives can all help.

It’s worth reviewing how you physically store drives, as well. DriveSavers tells us that the sudden impact of a heavy drawer of hard drives slamming home or yanked open quickly might possibly damage hard drives!

2. Spread failure risk across more drives and systems​

Improving physical hard drive handling procedures is only a small part of a good risk-reducing strategy. You can immediately reduce the exposure of a single hard drive failure by simply keeping a copy of that valuable content on another drive.This is a common approach for videographers moving content from cameras shooting in the field back to their editing environment. By simply copying content over from one fast drive to another, the odds of both drives failing at once are less likely. This is certainly better than keeping content on only a single drive, but definitely not a great long-term solution.

Multiple drive NAS and RAID systems reduce the impact of failing drives even further. A RAID 6 system composed of eight drives not only has much faster read and write performance than a single drive, but two of its drives can fail and still serve your files, giving you time to replace those failed drives.

Mitigating Data Corruption Risk​

The Risk of Bit Flips​

Beyond physical damage, there’s another threat to the files stored on hard disks: small, silent bit flip errors often called data corruption or bit rot.

Bit rot errors occur when individual bits in a stream of data in files change from one state to another (positive or negative, 0 to 1, and vice versa). These errors can happen to hard drive and flash storage systems at rest, or be introduced as a file is copied from one hard drive to another.

While hard drives automatically correct single-bit flips on the fly, larger bit flips can introduce a number of errors. This can either cause the program accessing them to halt or throw an error, or perhaps worse, lead you to think that the file with the errors is fine!
Thanks for that.
Getting to the cause of the problem is probably a bit beyond me and also the data is very important so I'd rather a pro did the actual fixing of it.
As I said I'm looking for a donor so if you have any knowledge regarding that it would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back