Contribute
Register

Need advice for a Hackintosh for music production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
So I'm relatively new to Hackintosh world, but the thought of building one for my work is in my mind for years, and the announced price of the new Mac Pro made me tell it was the time to continue the journey on a Hackintosh rather than an official Mac...
I work on Logic pro with 100+ tracks projects, loads of vsti, samples, so I want a very powerful workstation. I edit a bit of video too and work with 2 monitors, and intend to get to a 3 monitors workflow in the future. I produce music for visual media, edit scores, mix music and audio. I have saved money for a few years for this so I have a reasonable amount to invest. This is what I came up to after a few readings and a little bit of research :

CASE_PHANTEKS Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass

MOTHERBOARD_GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus ULTRA

CPU_INTEL i9 9900K

RAM_CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport LT Blanc 16GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM x2

GRAPHICS CARD_AMD ASUS Dual Radeon RX 580 OR AMD Sapphire Radeon RX580 Pulse

CPU COOLER_NOCTUA NH D15

PSU_bequiet! Straight Power 11 650W

FANS_NOCTUA NF A14

OS_10.13.4 (or 10.13.6 ?)

I am still wondering for the storage. I'd like a budget-friendly 1 TB boot SSD (M.2 if compatible), if you guys have any ideas..., and 2x 2TB SATA SSD for the samples, VST, etc... For the secondary disks I was thinking to SAMSUNG SSD 860 EVO 2TB.
Of course, silence is a very big deal for me, hence the NOCTUA fans (I was thinking about getting 3 of those little guys)
What is your opinion about my configuration ?
Thanks a lot for your help !

Last edited:
Since you have such a powerful gaming motherboard coupled with i9 cpu, consider 32 or 64 gb ram.
Find out the driver for your graphics card!

some of the plugins are not compatible with latest os (like autotune and the sort) I too work on 100s of plug ins with different DAWs
Thanks ! I was thinking, do I need drivers Since I'm planning on running 10.13.4.
Also I think after more research that some users are having troubles with the Asus Radeon RX580 Dual, and I am tempted by the Sapphire AMD RX580 Pulse, what do you think ?

I think i'm gonna get 32gb ram, you're right

For the plugins, I checked, and some of the plugins I use are not yet 100% compatible with Mojave, so I think I'll stick with High Sierra for now

Last edited:
So after a lot of reading I'm thinking about this configuration :
CASE_PHANTEKS Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass

MOTHERBOARD_GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus ULTRA

CPU_INTEL i9 9900K

RAM_CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport LT Blanc 16GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM x2

GRAPHICS CARd_AMD Sapphire Radeon RX580 Pulse

CPU COOLER_NOCTUA NH D15

PSU_bequiet! Straight Power 11 650W

FANS_NOCTUA NF A14

BOOT DISK_SAMSUNG EVO 970 M.2 500GB

ADDITIONAL DISKS_SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2TB x2

I know it may be a little overkilled for music production but I think I'm sticking with i9 9900K... an i5 is a little under what I need. And I decided eventually to go with Mojave
Do you know any troubles with this configuration ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back