Contribute
Register

Need advice about compact & quiet components for 4K video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I want to build my first hackintosh and before I do, check here with the community. The build should be compact & quiet with many parts hopefully working OOB or without to much hassle. A simple case with no lights flickering is welcome. I’m not concerned with overclocking. I’ll use it mainly for photo/video editing (photoshop, illustrator, premiere & after effects) and 3D (cinema 4D). I want to have a dual boot setup with windows.

In time I would like to create VR content and probably need a stronger GPU for that. What I read is that the nvidia cards (1080 and higher) are best for those type of tasks. Reading through this forum nvidia cards lacks compatibility and support. But my old macbook pro 2013 still gets the driver support for its nvidia card. How is that?

The PC configuration:

Processor : Intel core i7 8700K
CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-L12S
Motherboard : ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WIFI AC)
RAM : Ballistix sport LT 32gb (2x16gb) DDR4-2666
SSD (Boot drive & software): Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2
SSD (scratch disk): Samsung 970 EVO 250gb M.2
SSD (Working drive): Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA-600
GPU : SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8GB DDR5
PSU : Corsair TX-M Series TX750M
PC Case : Fractal Design define mini c
Monitor: LG 27UD88-W - LED-monitor
Lan Card : TP-LINK Archer T9E - alternative?

Questions:

- Are there any mATX boards with thunderbolt or USB 3.1 gen 2 (for future proofing)?
- Is there a better option then a bulky TP-link card?
- Can I swap a Z370 for a H370 or B360… if i’m not overclocking?
- Any suggestions on 4K or 5K monitors? Any good wide screen monitor?
- How important is the brand for ram. Will kingston or corsair work, cause they offer lower cas latency?
- Is my SSD configuration any good?

All comments and feedback are welcome. Thanks!

This would be an excellent guide to get some further information from:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...wi-fi-ac-build-w-i7-8700k-amd-vega-56.239969/

If you are not overclocking then you don't need to spend a premium on an overclocking CPU. RAM support is dependent on the board RAM combination. most good quality low latency RAM should work fine - the Ballaistix Sport is good quality general RAM that should be easy to find, which is why it is in the buyers guide.

Thanks for the link and swift response.

I do have more questions.

Is any GPU brand compatible as well. Pastrychef uses MSI instead of Sapphire. So will the Asus, gigabyte, etc. brand also work? Price differences are huge between them all.

Is there a significant performance difference buying 64gb of the same pair of ram as opposed to taking 32gb now and adding in 32gb later?

When the bus speed for the 8700k states 2666, does that mean, when I do not overclock, that taking DDR4-3200 doesn't do anything? Reading through forums everybody is talking about a sweet spot of DDR4-3200 CL15 is the best for this cpu. I guess it's only when you overclock, right?

I did find a SSD setup on this forum, also for video editing, but can't find the thread anymore. He used a combination of four different SSD/HDD. That seemed logical.
I use three, cause i don't know what the fourth one was for anymore. But is this SSD configuration logical for a workflow like mine?

Thanks for the link and swift response.

I do have more questions.

Is any GPU brand compatible as well. Pastrychef uses MSI instead of Sapphire. So will the Asus, gigabyte, etc. brand also work? Price differences are huge between them all.
Some cards are not so good for multi monitor work due to different port layouts - I believe this can be remapped with some additional work. Apple use and recommend specific cards -others may work fine, but for a production machine you want as little extra work or hassle as possible. If someone else has XYZ model of card running an excellent guide to getting it running, then it would be a safer bet than someone with a slightly different card that leaves no real informative info. Use buyer beware mindset and stick with solid reliable sources of information.

Is there a significant performance difference buying 64gb of the same pair of ram as opposed to taking 32gb now and adding in 32gb later?

32GB could be fine for 4K work for 3-5 years, by which time you may be considering buying DDR5 RAM for your new build. If you want to upgrade in 2-3 years because you need more RAM, but not CPU power, then either buy a complete new set or add another 32GB kit of similar spec RAM.

When the bus speed for the 8700k states 2666, does that mean, when I do not overclock, that taking DDR4-3200 doesn't do anything? Reading through forums everybody is talking about a sweet spot of DDR4-3200 CL15 is the best for this cpu. I guess it's only when you overclock, right?

DDR4 RAM has a base frequency 2666MHz for example, applying a XMP profile in the UEFI/BIOS for the motherboard then sets that RAM to run at a higher clock-speed, like 3000MHz. CL15 RAM Corsair RAM is pretty easy to get and affordable. Intel CPUs do benefit greatly from lower latency RAM. Prioritize this over getting slightly faster RAM.
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/xmp

I did find a SSD setup on this forum, also for video editing, but can't find the thread anymore. He used a combination of four different SSD/HDD. That seemed logical.
I use three, cause i don't know what the fourth one was for anymore. But is this SSD configuration logical for a workflow like mine?

It is quite common for video editors to and many other computer users to use multiple drives for different specific tasks. If you haven't found the 'video' forum, then you may find it worth while to visit for related discussion topics:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/video.23/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back