Contribute
Register

Need a little help with a Dell M6600...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read those threads. The problem is that they talk about the onboard graphics power management. In my case, the Quadro is the GPU being used. It works perfectly as such.

I've read those threads. The problem is that they talk about the onboard graphics power management. In my case, the Quadro is the GPU being used. It works perfectly as such.

One thing you could do is set your system up for HD3000, and see if you have the same issue. It would help pinpoint the issue.

Can't get the system to boot/install with HD3000video. I tried all boot flags I could think off. I'll be happy to try it with a little guidance.

After reading some more on OSXLatitude, it appears, with Optimus disabled (i.e. the Nvidia GPU is primary), sleep will not work. At all. No one seems to have found a way to do it.

And since I can't Mavericks installed with the HD3000 as primary...that's a bit of a problem. :)

I guess, I could live without sleep, by using an SSD for Mavericks, and just booting/shutting down everytime, but that's really not an optimal solution long term.

I'm open to any and all ideas.

Can't get the system to boot/install with HD3000video. I tried all boot flags I could think off. I'll be happy to try it with a little guidance.

You would have to disable nvidia via BIOS, disable nvidia via DSDT/SSDT edits, or remove all nvidia kexts (NVDA*, Geforce*). And, of course, make sure HD3000 is available.

Then you can activate HD3000, which depend on your specifications...

Please provide complete details in your profile.

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx). For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

OK, Here's what I've done. Disassembled almost the whole laptop and "physically" removed the Quadro card, the non supported wifi card, and bluetooth for now. I'm OK with running things off of the onboard video instead of the Quadro, assuming I can make it work.

Now, there isn't even an "Optimus" option in the bios, so it is effectively a SB laptop with onboard video.

Rehabman: I'm not sure what other system info you need besides what I gave earlier, but I'll try.

Dell M6600 with:
- i7 2720QM
- 16GB RAM
- QM67 chipset
- 17" screen at 1920x1080
- Graphics - HD 3000
- other typical stuff

Now, I still can't get into the installer. I get a black screen after booting from the USB, and if I don't do anything for a while, the system goes to sleep. If I hit the power button, it comes alive, but still at the black screen.

Help, please?

OK, Here's what I've done. Disassembled almost the whole laptop and "physically" removed the Quadro card, the non supported wifi card, and bluetooth for now. I'm OK with running things off of the onboard video instead of the Quadro, assuming I can make it work.

Now, there isn't even an "Optimus" option in the bios, so it is effectively a SB laptop with onboard video.

Rehabman: I'm not sure what other system info you need besides what I gave earlier, but I'll try.

Dell M6600 with:
- i7 2720QM
- 16GB RAM
- QM67 chipset
- 17" screen at 1920x1080
- Graphics - HD 3000
- other typical stuff

Now, I still can't get into the installer. I get a black screen after booting from the USB, and if I don't do anything for a while, the system goes to sleep. If I hit the power button, it comes alive, but still at the black screen.

Help, please?

HD3000 high resolution needs DSDT patches. On mobile now but you can do a search to find instructions.

I looked at your instructions and downloaded the mini SSDT file and placed it on the Extra folder on the USB. Booted with and without DSDT=Null, still a black screen.

I looked at your instructions and downloaded the mini SSDT file and placed it on the Extra folder on the USB. Booted with and without DSDT=Null, still a black screen.

Your DSDT may not use the same names as what is expected. Or you didn't copy it to /extra/SSDT.aml. Or your DSDT already has a _DSM method at that path. Any of those will prevent success. In that case DSDT needs to be pre-patched.

I don't have a DSDT at this point... :) It's the standard Unibeast install USB. I added the HD3000 high resolution aml file based on your guide.

I can fix things once I get the damn thing installed, but I can't get to the installer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back