Contribute
Register

(Near) Perfect High Sierra Setup on Z77x-UD5H / Ivy Bridge i5 / RX 560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reporting back in case anyone else is contemplating this.
Last week I got my Z77x-UD5H rev 1.1, 3770k, F16j, OS 10.14.6 booting off NVMe in the PCIex4 slot at full speed (Intel 660 upto ~1800 MB/sec) using a x4 PCIe adapter for $8 on Amazon. Details here and the posts above it: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...geforce-gtx-660-ti.70530/page-59#post-2077973

The machine boots quicker, feels snappier and is worth doing. In my video editing the bottleneck is now the processor and this will probably be the last upgrade I do to the machine.

With NVMe be sure to use a heatsink (another $8) to keep the temps down on the memory chips! In testing without a heatsink my boot temp went upto 70 degrees Celcius on the NVMe drive during boot.

Last edited:
i got everything working on this as far as i can tell accept wake and sleep on Catalina.

machine try to go to sleep but then it wakes up after few sec.

anyone know how i can get that fix?

Last week I got my Z77x-UD5H rev 1.1, 3770k, F16j, OS 10.14.6 booting off NVMe in the PCIex4 slot at full speed (Intel 660 upto ~1800 MB/sec) using a x4 PCIe adapter for $8 on Amazon. Details here and the posts above it: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...geforce-gtx-660-ti.70530/page-59#post-2077973

The machine boots quicker, feels snappier and is worth doing. In my video editing the bottleneck is now the processor and this will probably be the last upgrade I do to the machine.

With NVMe be sure to use a heatsink (another $8) to keep the temps down on the memory chips! In testing without a heatsink my boot temp went upto 70 degrees Celcius on the NVMe drive during boot.

HI there Nice to see his old iconic build resurfacing

Mind sharing your refi with me we ave the same build. I'm up and running on Mojave 10.14.6 and I'm trying to twee my post install.

oh and by the way I don't think you'll be able to upgrade the cpu for better on that board...

upgrade to 10.13.5, everything still works perfectly.
CosCos I have the UD5H and would like to upgrade from Yosemite to High Sierra (Yosemite is not being supported as much anymore). I would like to know if all of the features of the board are working with the files (EFI etc) below or not. My UD5H has not had wake/sleep issues and I use the onboard LAN not a network card. This may change with HS based on your using a NIC. I am considering buying a RX560 or some other card that works natively with OSX to replace my 650 which has worked flawlessly along side the onboard graphics. Can I just do an upgrade to HS and just pop in you efi folder etc and it be smooth sailing? Will the UD5H go to Catalina? I was thinking I insert my NUC8i7BEH SSD into the UD5H and it booted but was not stable. I am not sure. It all becomes a blur as I work on my two NUCs.

oh and by the way I don't think you'll be able to upgrade the cpu for better on that board...
No the CPU is maxed out.
Do you still need the EFI? That workstation isn't nearby right now, but, I get to it every few days. I've never shared an EFI, got to remove the SN I think...

upgrade to 10.13.5, everything still works perfectly.
CosCos I am wanting to upgrade my UD5H to Clover/High Sierra. Can you direct me to some installs that were near perfect and Clover or OC?

Can you share your actual Efi? I can´t to do work in mojave.

z77x UD5H
Saphire Pulse Rx 580

Thanks man!!!
Can you post the Z77x-ud5h EFI folder that CosCos posted? I am looking for it, but no luck so far. I want to upgrade mine to High Sierra. Yosemite is too old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back