Contribute
Register

Native Support for these components (as much as possible)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo Thinkcentre M83
CPU
i5-4590T
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Windows user switching to Mac. Currently using a 2011 Mac Mini upgraded to 16GB RAM and SSD but really want something more...

I've looked at the January buyer's guide and am eyeing these:

GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS16G4D240FSB (Gray)
650W Power Supply and case.
will use an existing SSD drive I have in another system

The Motherboard has on-board Audio and HDMI and Mini Displayport outputs.

It also has on board audio (Realtek ALC892). full specs: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5891#sp

Questions:

1. Could I use the onboard video to get started? (And upgrade to a "real" video card down the road once I get Hackintosh totally stable)

2. Will HDMI Audio work with this configuration? (That's a pain point for me now with my existing Hackintosh toy - Lenovo M83).

3. How much of this will work "natively" after Unibeast install vs needing to load in various kexts etc?

4. Could I buy just a single 16GB memory stick now and buy 1 or 3 more down the road?

5. Any idea how loud of a beast this will be? (Power Supply, case fan, cpu fan, video card fan?

Thanks

Windows user switching to Mac. Currently using a 2011 Mac Mini upgraded to 16GB RAM and SSD but really want something more...

I've looked at the January buyer's guide and am eyeing these:

GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS16G4D240FSB (Gray)
650W Power Supply and case.
will use an existing SSD drive I have in another system

The Motherboard has on-board Audio and HDMI and Mini Displayport outputs.

It also has on board audio (Realtek ALC892). full specs: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5891#sp

Questions:

1. Could I use the onboard video to get started? (And upgrade to a "real" video card down the road once I get Hackintosh totally stable)

2. Will HDMI Audio work with this configuration? (That's a pain point for me now with my existing Hackintosh toy - Lenovo M83).

3. How much of this will work "natively" after Unibeast install vs needing to load in various kexts etc?

4. Could I buy just a single 16GB memory stick now and buy 1 or 3 more down the road?

5. Any idea how loud of a beast this will be? (Power Supply, case fan, cpu fan, video card fan?

Thanks
1. yes
2. yes
3. That is what MultiBeast is for. Installs basic needed kexts, and you select from choices your audio and networking
4. RAM is dual channel - 2x8GB will work better then 1x16GB
5. I always use a retail cooler and buy Noctua fans to replace the OEM cooler fan and the case fans. PSU fan and GPU fan is usually quiet unless under heavy load. Also depends if you buy a case like the Fractal Design cases with sound insulation material coating the side panels or one with thin panels and no insulation.

I am just building an almost identical system right now.

only differs in putting in 2x8 gb ram instead of 1x16, and my choice of PSU (I went with the corsair 850w for future proofing and because the fan doesn't turn on until I go over 350w)

I'll let you know how quiet it is hopefully tomorrow :)

okay, built.

super quiet. holy moley. quiet. the case fans for drive cooling are louder than anything else.

I don't have a dB meter, so I can't give you exact numbers, but I slept just fine with it in the room last night.

Thanks

Great to hear (get it? :)).

What case did you use?

And were there any issues getting everything working with that motherboard? Are you using onboard video (HDMI or DP out) and does audio work via onboard HDMI/Audio?

I *so* want to do this (the cost savings vs Mac Pro are SIGNIFICANT) but I also want the sleek, silent, "just works" (ok, after multi beast install etc) experience.

Thank you

I'm using on-board audio out via the headphone jack. haven't tried HDMI or DP out for video or audio, using a GT 740 gpu

I think there are other reports on HDMI/audio.

I threw it in my old cooler master tower case that had room for 9 3.5" drives. I bought a Corsair Obsidian Series 750 airflow to put my old mobo in and to make a dense NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back