Contribute
Register

Native Support for NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti and GTX 660 Graphics Cards in 10.8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Native Support for NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti and GTX 660 Graphics Cards in 10.8.3

From what I've read, it's a good idea to use the nVidia drivers, even if Apple has built-in support for a particular video card in your version of Mac OS. I have an EVGA GTX 660 SC (Best Buy's version of this card) and I use nVidia's drivers. Works fine with 10.8.3.
HTH.

Thanks for the info!

Which version of the driver do you use btw?
Thanks

Article: Native Support for NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti and GTX 660 Graphics Cards in 10.8.3

The only 10.8.3 drivers for the NVIDIA cards at this time is Apple's.

The NVIDIA download is for 10.8.2 only and is older (304.00.05f02) than what is in 10.8.3 (304.10.65f03)

The only 10.8.3 drivers for the NVIDIA cards at this time is Apple's.

The NVIDIA download is for 10.8.2 only and is older (304.00.05f02) than what is in 10.8.3 (304.10.65f03)

I defer to your expertise. I sit corrected. Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that.

Hello there,

With 10.8.3 installed, GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, and the Geforce GTX 650Ti 1Gb, everything seems to work, with GraphicsEnabler=No, but absolutely no acceleration. So, choppiness, can't watch videos, not even Youtube, just very slow video.

I'm on an Apple Cinema Display 30", on the DVI-Dual Link output. Everything else works, ethernet, bluetooth, etc., but no graphics acceleration!

I can't open Aperture because I get the warning for unsupported card.

Any possible ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Hi all,

Up to this point, all of my builds have either been for pro-audio or casual use - so the HD4000 has been more than adequate.

However, I'm about to do a build for a video guy and would like to know which (if any) cards work well with Premiere (and Sony Vegas in Windows) and allow for HDMI audio.

Reading through this whole thread leads me to believe that the 660 Ti would work well.

Also it appears that the Gigabyte version of the 650 Ti would make for the most cost-efficient choice?

If the 650 Ti makes the best choice, I think I'd go for the EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SuperClocked 2GB since it is only $20 more than the non-superclocked version.

I'd prefer both EVGA versions over the Gigabyte since they have Display Port outs - but it seems that the Gigabyte would be the most stable - especially since I'm using that brand for the mobo?

Please advise!

the 660 is a better than the 650 ti, but the cuda core issue is there with the 6xx series..however for Premiere the 650 and 660 are great. I have one issue, I have to reinstall the cuda driver after a full shut down. Using cs6 is fantastic now, a huge leap forward from the HD4000 set up. If you get a 560 card the open CL will be more effective. I had a running 550 ti but I seem to be the only one.

^ Thanks! I ended up going with a GTX 570 for my video guy that I did a build for last week, since it seems the 5xx series seems to work better with Vegas. He's would like me to Hackintosh his system later at a later, so it will be interesting to see how well the card plays in OS X. He did stress that performance with Vegas is the most important thing though, & I think with his $300 limit, I got him the best card for the money...

For myself I went with the 650Ti Boost Superclocked since it seemed to be a real good value - and would be a great first card which I could swap in a build I plan on doing for my graphics guy in the future.

If there's a good sale on the 660Ti or 670 in the near future, I might have to snag it just so I can test the differences between them...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi folks!

I ve got a gigabyte 660 oc installed and totaly recognised in my system , Im a noob so I wonder if have to install the drivers from the Nvidia website and also the Cuda drivers to have my card working at 100%

Thanks

Hi there!
I got also a Leadtek GTX 650ti 2GB working with 10.8.3 installed on ASRock Z77 Extreme6 with "GraphicsEnabler=No" and working fine with full resolution.

Chipset Model: NVIDIA D14P2-30
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x11c6
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0
Displays:
S24B300:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz