Contribute
Register

Native OS X USB Audio Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, upon further investigation, it is just a usb audio device mounted internally. It is nice to see they have an all in one option (WIFI/SOUND) in one card available. These are typically the two things that are nuisances in the hackintosh community. I am debating whether getting a new wifi PCIE card and branch the audio from the new card. Or get a separate audio device. I think the latter. If there ever is a move to a new wifi standard, you can keep the audio component separate and just upgrade the Wifi.

So Cool! Very excited about this! Hopefully they will pop up on eBay soon.

Don't buy the cheapest if you want clear sound. I bought the Sound Blaster Play 2 and I had to return it because sounds with a lot of distortion. Then I bought this one:

41XOZNPaYLL.jpg

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00F7120TQ/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

Cost double but the sound is clear and 30 bucks is not that much.

OK, folks thanks for the option-click info. I've used the Griffin iMic for a long time (years) and it is actually very good, although it only has 16-bit converters... but sound always works, no matter what.

Agreed. I've been using an iMic (mk2) for years and it always works well and sounds clean. Originally bought to digitise my vinyl collection now it serves as headphone sound card.

:)

View attachment 147711
I picked up this USB audio device for $7.99 to test- it's very nice looking, aluminum and it is fully native. Works perfectly and with good sound both mic input and headphone output. C-Media chipset. Recommended.

Hi all. I bought the same aluminium usb sound card, branded as TeckNet, but it has the same vendorID, ProID and chipset.

Works as advertised but if I'm honest I didn't like the sound very much. Too "thin". Prefer my iMic but am willing to explore more compatible options. Like marmac's StarTech adaptor...

:)

I've heard this is HIGH QUALITY external Audio Card but it is very cheap http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx

Cheers

I have several of the less expensive units:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

I think the only difference between the two is that they include software with the more expensive one. The quality is reasonably good. If you need mic inputs, this is a good choice. If you are just looking for good sound quality, you can do better with a good DAC from any of the better hi-fi companies. However, there is a catch. Most of the DAC's with the best sound quality are asynchronous. There is a bit of a delay in the audio signal. This makes no difference when listening to music only (except for a higher sound quality), but it does make a difference when watching video. The asynchronous aspect means that the audio and video tracks can be just slightly off, which can be especially bad with human speech. The lips and audio don't quite match. This is where the Behringer U-Control and similar devices mentioned in this thread come into play. I think all of these are synchronous devices, so the lips will match the audio track when watching video programs. The Behringer is specifically designed with "Ultra-Low Latency" for this reason (really it was designed to keep musician's tracks synced, not lips when watching video, but the same principal and reasoning applies). As far as I can tell, onboard audio is always synchronous.

Also, be careful when attaching any USB audio device through a USB hub. Some of them do not have the right power configuration to support quality sound. I think this is especially true with the bus powered USB hubs [although you MAY be alright with one connected to a USB 3.0 output due to higher power capability]. You should be good with an externally powered USB hub in most cases. If you want to be sure, connect straight to the USB output on your board.

This is the USB Sound card i have. Its also shows in OS X as C, Media :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 17.40.12.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 17.40.12.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 17.40.28.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 17.40.28.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 17.40.56.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 17.40.56.png
    166.2 KB · Views: 139
I bought the Vantec version of TonyMac's Sabrent adapter (NBA-120U) at my local MicroCenter and it solved the sound problems I was having with the public beta of El Cap 10.11.1. I was good to go with ALC 892 through El Cap GM but the point beta ended that. I'm sure a solution will arrive but until then this $8 device is perfect. The sound quality is at least as good as ALC 892 so I'm quite satisfied. :p

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back