Contribute
Register

Native OS X USB Audio Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh- that's the onboard audio. I have that enabled in the pics too. In this picture you can see Realtek ALC 898 onboard (motherboard audio) and my MOTU 8Pre audio device in addition to the USB Audio Device.
/QUOTE]

Is there a reason why you don't use the MOTU for in/out for sound? I would think this would make the USB audio stick unnecessary. Does the MOTU not work in OS X natively?

I am fight with an M-Audio Firewire Solo. It is basically useless now as it makes Yosemite crash after being plugged in for a period of time. M-Audio has the same issue in Windows where it blue screen a computer waking up.

I am looking to replace my onboard audio with something that provides Coaxial/TOSLink out for 5.1 sound. It would be nice to have guitar inputs as well so I can fully replace the Firewire Solo too. I have looked endlessly for an alternative.

If anyone has a suggestion, it would be helpful.

Currently using an Audioengine D3 which sounds great in OS X.

Was previously using a HiFiMe Sabre USB DAC which is a more affordable solution, and also sounded very good.

Yeah its a good USB Sound Card works out of the box in OS X.

That is the main reason, yes.

I've found them handy just to have around: It provides a good external microphone port on systems that don't have one, or where that is not working. And it provides peace of mind, even if you do have working audio now, it may be broken by the next update... so it's handy just to have around when you need working audio and might not have had time even to notice that the update broke your audio (the teleconference is starting now and your system suddenly shows no audio device available). I've got one that came with a Sennheiser headset and works great with whatever I plug into it. And another which is identified as C-Media, when plugged in.

Similarly cheap and handy: a USB3 to Gigabit ethernet adapter, for times when there are network issues I don't have time to resolve. Plugging that in has almost always given me a reliable network connection when the problem was anything to do with my own hardware. It also provides 3 USB ports, so it's a good option for new Macbooks that have no ethernet and limited USB3 ports... the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter costs a lot and blocks having a second external display. And USB3 is just as capable of carrying the network connection.

Attachments

• gigabit_ethernet_usb.jpg
    gigabit_ethernet_usb.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 104

I wish I had found this earlier! I just put in a Wireless/Bluetooth card in. That is the exact solution I wanted. Everyone kept saying that PCI audio options were not possible for a decent price. This looks like it will finally solve that issue!

It looks like they may have a stand alone Audio only card option. Thanks a million, I'll keep my eye out. I really do not want to have dongles hanging off the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back