Contribute
Register

Native NVRAM Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not really enough information as a valid way to check for "native NVRAM". As to whether you're using native UEFI support for NVRAM depends on which drivers you have loaded in drivers64UEFI.

If you have EmuVariableUefi-64.efi installed, then you're using non-native NVRAM.
Lack of EmuVariable allows using native UEFI services for UEFI.

A common mistake people make which breaks NVRAM completely is to use EmuVariable, but forget to install "RC scripts to boot volume". In that case, NVRAM is emulated, but never saved to disk for later restoration after restart.

One advantage of native NVRAM is that it doesn't require a clean shutdown in order to be saved. This enables crash reports upon restart after KP.
Question here, if our board is nvram native, does this mean we don't need emu variable driver in clover drivers, not clover uefei64....

Question here, if our board is nvram native, does this mean we don't need emu variable driver in clover drivers, not clover uefei64....

@grugattony,

Correct ...

If your motherboard supports native NVRAM then there is no need for emulated NVRAM via the EmuVariableUefi efi driver.

If you already have installed the EmuVariableUefi efi driver then you should remove it and also delete the MacOS system script that creates the nvram.plist file in the root of the EFI partition.

The script name is 80.save_nvram_plist.local which is in the /etc/rc.shutdown.d/ folder in the root of your system drive

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@grugattony,

Correct ...

If your motherboard supports native NVRAM then there is no need for emulated NVRAM via the EmuVariableUefi efi driver.

If you already have installed the EmuVariableUefi efi driver then you should remove it and also delete the MacOS system script that creates the nvram.plist file in the root of the EFI partition.

The script name is 80.save_nvram_plist.local which is in the /etc folder in the root of your system drive

Cheers
Jay
tanks jay is it a hidden file?

According to a recent article, installing the attached "SSDT-PMC.aml" file into "EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched" will re-enable native RAM on B360, B365, H310, H370, and Z390 motherboards. It did work for me on both my "Mini ITX 3" and "Mini ITX 4" systems below. The article also recommended deleting some files after installation of the attached SSDT:
  • /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
  • /Volumes/EFI/nvram.plist
  • /etc/rc.clover.lib
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/10.save_and_rotate_boot_log.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/20.mount_ESP.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local.disabled
  • /etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local
NVRAM continues to work for me after deleting the above files also.

The only file I can find in my EFI is the top one, EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. I don't even have a nvram.plist. Searched for all the other but no luck. Even checked hidden files. Am I supposed to have all of those? Also, not really sure where to look regarding the "/etc/".

Thanks for your help

The only file I can find in my EFI is the top one, EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. I don't even have a nvram.plist. Searched for all the other but no luck. Even checked hidden files. Am I supposed to have all of those? Also, not really sure where to look regarding the "/etc/".
No problem if others are not present, as long as you have the SSDT in your EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. But to find the "/etc" folder, just show hidden files (Shift-Command-period) and look at the long list of hidden files on your storage device. Inside the "/etc" folder, scroll down and you will find the "rc.xxxx" folders. Just delete the ones in that list.

Last edited:
Is the nvram test where you store something, reboot the only way available to test if native nvram is supported?

Following an upgrade to BigSur, I went the OC way, and ever since nvram hasn't worked. Not much of a problem other than not being able to easily choose which partition will boot, and when installing an update I must correctly manually select the installer partition to continue after a reboot.

This is annoying though, and I'd like to get it working again.

This is with as per my signature, an ASRock x299 Professional Gaming i9 XE. nvram was working with clover previously (and no nvram.plist present on the EFI root partition nor any shell scrips installed)

Is there any way to tweak things so that native nvram works?

I boot using multiple macOS partition (one 10.14, 10.15 and BS) on different SSDs. emulated nvram is a pain to setup with this config.

Thanks in advance.

Is the nvram test where you store something, reboot the only way available to test if native nvram is supported?

Following an upgrade to BigSur, I went the OC way, and ever since nvram hasn't worked. Not much of a problem other than not being able to easily choose which partition will boot, and when installing an update I must correctly manually select the installer partition to continue after a reboot.

This is annoying though, and I'd like to get it working again.

This is with as per my signature, an ASRock x299 Professional Gaming i9 XE. nvram was working with clover previously (and no nvram.plist present on the EFI root partition nor any shell scrips installed)

Is there any way to tweak things so that native nvram works?

I boot using multiple macOS partition (one 10.14, 10.15 and BS) on different SSDs. emulated nvram is a pain to setup with this config.

Thanks in advance.
Same issue here. Z68x-ud7-b3 with OC and big sur. All working except VRAM :banghead:

The attached SSDT didn't help? It worked on my Z370 and Z390 computers.
Nope. SSDT added, all steps described at https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/misc/nvram.html#cleaning-out-the-clover-gunk done, SIP disabled, this added to NVRAM/Delete:

<key>7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
<array>
<string>boot-args</string>
<key>csr-active-config</key>
</array>

Still not working. I am out of ideas. Funny part is that my motherboard should have native NVRAM (it worked with Clover). However, with OC I can not keep the last disk booted or enable TRIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back