Contribute
Register

Native Brightness working without 'blinkscreen' using patched AppleBacklight.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I've been playing around with editing the dsdt quite a bit to get my peripherals working, and ACPIBacklight was the one i stuck with in the end since the patched applebacklight wasn't bright enough. But is the 0x710 hard coded somewhere in a file though?

0x710 isn't hardcoded into any patch made for Haswell. 0x710 is hard-coded into the HD3000/HD4000 drivers provided by Apple. 0xad9 is hardcoded into the Haswell graphics (HD5000) drivers provided by Apple. If you were to use patched AppleBacklight.kext (or injector), you'd have to modify the data in the Info.plist as appropriate.

My DSDT patches simply conform to the way OS X wants to deal with the backlight hardware (0-0x710 on HD3000/HD4000, and 0-0xad9 on Haswell).

Oddly enough, after repatching my DSDT and trying out this fix (following all the instructions to the letter), my brightness buttons do nothing.

If it's any difference, the brightness buttons were doing nothing I think ever since I reran the latest ProBook installer.

What should I try to get any kind of brightness control working again? I am hoping to fix this so I can do a Time Machine backup with everything working and up to date.. I think it's the last big problem (except my old booting with certain external HDD's connected problem, which I haven't looked into in awhile..)

EDIT: NM, I tried ACPIBrightness and it works pretty well for me!

Oddly enough, after repatching my DSDT and trying out this fix (following all the instructions to the letter), my brightness buttons do nothing.

If it's any difference, the brightness buttons were doing nothing I think ever since I reran the latest ProBook installer.

What should I try to get any kind of brightness control working again? I am hoping to fix this so I can do a Time Machine backup with everything working and up to date.. I think it's the last big problem (except my old booting with certain external HDD's connected problem, which I haven't looked into in awhile..)

EDIT: NM, I tried ACPIBrightness and it works pretty well for me!

Using ACPIBacklight.kext (I assume that's what you meant) is the best solution anyway...

Rehab, u are a genius!! The one thing that kept bugging me was always the brightness change waking from sleep. It goes bright after sleep. I read this thread and applied the fix and loaded the patched backlight kext, and wouldn't you know it stays where I leave it..bravo man:clap: Question what is the difference with the backlightinjector kext?

Rehab, u are a genius!! The one thing that kept bugging me was always the brightness change waking from sleep. It goes bright after sleep. I read this thread and applied the fix and loaded the patched backlight kext, and wouldn't you know it stays where I leave it..bravo man:clap: Question what is the difference with the backlightinjector kext?

No difference between using patched AppleBacklight.kext or building a AppleBacklightInjector.kext, except the injector will survive an Apple update to AppleBacklight.kext.

Rehab what is this blinkscreen stuff?. Is that normal. I get that at boot and when going into login menu. My dell 13z does it as well and also after waking.

Rehab what is this blinkscreen stuff?. Is that normal. I get that at boot and when going into login menu. My dell 13z does it as well and also after waking.

Did you install blinkscreen? If you did and later used one of the new techniques for brightness, then remove it as it is not necessary.

No have not. I don't know even what that is. I've looked at some threads but still can't figure what it is and the purpose. Is it for folks that having the issue I described. Do I need it?

No have not. I don't know even what that is. I've looked at some threads but still can't figure what it is and the purpose. Is it for folks that having the issue I described. Do I need it?

If you haven't installed it then it does not concern you. Why are you asking about it?

If you haven't installed it then it does not concern you. Why are you asking about it?
Because I do have the screen blink when going from bootloader to apple logo to menu log-in. thought maybe there is a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back