Contribute
Register

Native Brightness working without 'blinkscreen' using patched AppleBacklight.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you apply the "Rename GFX0 to IGPU" from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch, then follow the instructions in post #1, this technique should work for you.

I've successfully renamed GFX0 to IGPU but I receive errors when trying to applying this patch: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/13_Brightness.txt

Is this the correct one?

I see in patch "replace_matched" but it doesn't really replace the whole IGDP thing, and actually as there's a comma in the end:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Consolas]BAR1,32,[/FONT][/COLOR]
I believe that this is not the end of the block, so I'm not understanding very well.I'm attaching here my DSDT before the linked patch and after renaming GFX0->IGPU, maybe you can tell me the right directions. I'm running vanilla 10.9.1.

Thank you!

Attachments

• DSDT_mgbt2.zip
    13.5 KB · Views: 94
I've successfully renamed GFX0 to IGPU but I receive errors when trying to applying this patch: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/13_Brightness.txt

Is this the correct one?

I see in patch "replace_matched" but it doesn't really replace the whole IGDP thing, and actually as there's a comma in the end:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Consolas]BAR1,32,[/FONT][/COLOR]
I believe that this is not the end of the block, so I'm not understanding very well.I'm attaching here my DSDT before the linked patch and after renaming GFX0->IGPU, maybe you can tell me the right directions. I'm running vanilla 10.9.1.

Thank you!

No error here. Here's what I did:
- loaded the DSDT you posted into MaciASL
- clicked Patch (repo is already in my MaciASL sources)
- applied "ACPI Backlight Control"
- applied "Brightness data (generic)"
- no errors on Compile.

Note: I've also added this patch to my generic laptop repo @: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch. In that repo, it is a single patch file "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"

No error here. Here's what I did:
- loaded the DSDT you posted into MaciASL
- clicked Patch (repo is already in my MaciASL sources)
- no errors on Compile.

Note: I've also added this patch to my generic laptop repo @: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch. In that repo, it is a single patch file "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"

can you update the new how to method on page 1 you posted..seems like theres new changes..tnx

I'm sorry, I should have missed some instruction. From #1, I thought the only DSDT patch I should apply was "Native brightness fix", which I believed was 13_Brightness.txt from Probook repo. Now from the laptop repo I believe it should be this one as I've got a Sandy Bridge. So it also includes the "ACPI Backlight Control"?

Thank you again.

I'm sorry, I should have missed some instruction. From #1, I thought the only DSDT patch I should apply was "Native brightness fix", which I believed was 13_Brightness.txt from Probook repo. Now from the laptop repo I believe it should be this one as I've got a Sandy Bridge. So it also includes the "ACPI Backlight Control"?

Thank you again.

I got your post confused with the other thread on ACPIBacklight.kext...

But still, same result with 13_Brightness.txt (aka "Native brightness fix"). It works just fine with your DSDT.

I got your post confused with the other thread on ACPIBacklight.kext...

But still, same result with 13_Brightness.txt (aka "Native brightness fix"). It works just fine with your DSDT.

Thank you, this time I used MaciASL and it gives no errors when applying the patch. However, the patch as a whole didn't work (brightness is still low, the only change is that AppleBrightnessAtBoot changed from 4648 to 1808, as expected), so I read the resulting DSDT and it seems weird to me that in the patch it says "replace_matched" but it actually doesn't replace the OperationRegion (IGDP, PCI_Config block... It adds IGD2 after it, and with an unexpected comma after BAR1,32 (I believe that comma shouldn't be there as it is the last statement inside the block).
I'm attaching here the resulting DSDT.

Attachments

• DSDT_mgbt2.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 106
Thank you, this time I used MaciASL and it gives no errors when applying the patch. However, the patch as a whole didn't work (brightness is still low, the only change is that AppleBrightnessAtBoot changed from 4648 to 1808, as expected),

Did you patch AppleBacklight.kext or build/install an injector for your display? This is a two-part fix. One part DSDT, one part AppleBacklight.kext patch/injector.

If you did post ioreg to verify: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

so I read the resulting DSDT and it seems weird to me that in the patch it says "replace_matched" but it actually doesn't replace the OperationRegion (IGDP, PCI_Config block... It adds IGD2 after it, and with an unexpected comma after BAR1,32 (I believe that comma shouldn't be there as it is the last statement inside the block).
I'm attaching here the resulting DSDT.

The patch is working as designed. Don't get caught up on a trailing comma. It is inconsequential and allowed by ACPI ASL syntax.

Did you patch AppleBacklight.kext or build/install an injector for your display? This is a two-part fix. One part DSDT, one part AppleBacklight.kext patch/injector.

Yes, I ran the patch and installed AppleBacklightInjector, it seems to be correctly installed as its name is shown in ioreg -l inside AppleIntelPanelA. I'm attaching my ioreg as requested.

Yes, I ran the patch and installed AppleBacklightInjector, it seems to be correctly installed as its name is shown in ioreg -l inside AppleIntelPanelA. I'm attaching my ioreg as requested.

I don't see PNLF at all in your ioreg.

I don't see PNLF at all in your ioreg.
You're absolutely right. One more time I had booted with the wrong DSDT. I'm really sorry about that, now it's correct, 100% sure :)

Attachments

• ioreg_mgbt2.zip
    395.3 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back