Contribute
Register

Native Brightness working without 'blinkscreen' using patched AppleBacklight.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tested... and yes... I see that value does not update. It is probably because the value is temporary and not "committed".
Note: Just did this and noticed that the first 16-bits of the data is not used as documented (by the link on insanely in post #1). So the OP of that thread has it wrong. Not sure what those first 16-bits are used for... Instead the driver is setting the screen brightness to the lowest value in the rest of the table (eg. the second 16-bits).
Interesting insight...
Also good to know my eyes aren't playing tricks on me and my testing method was flawless :lol:.

So what's that "11"? And what's the lowest brightness on the MBAir?

Before and after DSDT patch and injector kext: no changes at all.
Before and after sleep: no changes at all.
Brightness slider goes smoothly from zero (black screen) up to a certain maximal brightness, which is nearly as bright as the minimal in Windows.

In post #70, you wrote "Brightness slider and brightness after sleep always worked fine,"

Is that not true now?

Are you using stock AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext?

Maybe you should use the technique in post #74 to dump the values of the registers...

I wasn't clear. It doesn't absolutely work fine after sleep, what I meant is that the behavior after sleep is the same as before, that for me is "fine". Always dark, however. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's not stock AppleIntelSNBGraphics.kext, maybe I got a corrupted one, don't know, nobody ever confirmed me that, but mine came without Info.plist so I picked up one (google Intel HD 3000 kext 13A603) and edited that to match my MEI Controller ID (1c3a) and graphics card ID (0116).

The stock kext assumes 1c3a and 0166 for HD3000 MEI/gfx, so there is no reason to use a patched kext.

Maybe the kext you have has other (unexpected) changes...

Try with the vanilla kext.

I edited last post with brightness values obtained from IORegistryExplorer, even if they don't tell you exactly what you want to read, they at least are precise to what I can see from the screen... lol.

I'm talking about the actual registers in hardware that control the backlight, not OS X registry items...

I wouldn't need a patched one if my vanilla had Info.plist. Could you please attach your vanilla one? Or where could I get it from?

Vanilla kext definitely has an Info.plist. It would be required for real macs. You should find a vanilla kext on your Unibeast USB or with a fresh install.

Deployed native AppleBacklight.kext and DSDT patch - seems to be working without blinkscreen agent.

ok I've got the vanilla AppleIntelSNBGraphics.kext but the screen behavior keeps the same. My problem must be something else not covered in this thread. I'll also give ACPIBacklight a try and let you know. Thank you!

You should really use ACPIDebug+ACPIPoller to discover what your register values are.

thanks
specs: hp envy 15t-j000
tried it and i got an amazing brightness range but i still need blinkscreen to change the brightness ( i didn't have ACPIbacklight before)

Attachments

• imad’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    2.4 MB · Views: 126
i just found out that i have errors in ssdt-1 and ssdt-2, the errors occurred after converting them from .dsl to .aml, anyways i fixed the ssdt-1 errors but no the ssdt-2, as for my ssdt i don't have any errors there.
check the file attached

PNLF in DSDT is standard PNLF, will prevent SSDT with PNLF defined from loading:
Code:
        Device (PNLF)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
            Name (_CID, "backlight")
            Name (_UID, 0x0A)
            Name (_STA, 0x0B)
        }

Remove it from DSDT.

And... no PNLF (with _INI) method is defined in SSDT-1 (where your GFX0 object is). No patch applied evidently to the SSDT-1.

Also, your patch/injector for AppleBacklight is incorrect for Haswell. The data range for Haswell is 0-0xad9, not 0-0x710. Find a more appropriate data set inside of existing Info.plist for AppleBacklight.kext.

Make sure you're using the Haswell DSDT patches, published here for testing: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...000-quad-haswell-1085109/page-14#entry1983314

Eventually, I'll get this all cleaned up and in one place on github (laptop repo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back