Contribute
Register

Native Brightness working without 'blinkscreen' using patched AppleBacklight.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I don't see any. In this case there is no conflict as there aren't two separate definitions for the iokit match (unlike the AppleHDA case).

I think what is happening is the system is loading actually loading two different instances of the kext (that is allocating two separate AppleIntelPanelA objects), and going through the startup sequence for each one, up to the point of calling ::probe for both. But because the IOProbeScore is higher for the injector (2500 vs. 2000), it chooses to start (calling ::start... etc.) the injector one instead of the native.

I think that today i ll try this with injector. Thanks for this. Only a question, this, like your kext, store in nvram brightness level? I mean, if for example i set level brightness to half, when i reboot i ll have the same setting? Sorry for english

EDIT: It works good, no problems! Transictions are less smooth but i ll use this with injector ;) THANKS!

I think that today i ll try this with injector. Thanks for this. Only a question, this, like your kext, store in nvram brightness level? I mean, if for example i set level brightness to half, when i reboot i ll have the same setting? Sorry for english

Saving/restoring to "nvram" is done by the native kext. All the injector is doing is providing a match for brightness data for your display.

EDIT: It works good, no problems! Transictions are less smooth but i ll use this with injector ;) THANKS!

As mentioned there are no smooth transitions. I don't know what OS X is looking for to enable them.

All seems fine here with the injector... how come you gave in? man, how will you sleep with all the system warnings you will be causing across the globe :p

BTW, how does the '11' value work out for you that the system seem to use after a period of inactivity but just before the display is turned completely off?

quick noob question.

I want to test v2.

created the patched file ok, going to use vanilla kext with injector.

Do I copy the 13_Brightness.txt from your repo and apply that as a patch to my DSDT to revert back to normal to test this?

cheers

The instructions in post #1 are still valid.

Like I said, Noob question lol

Does that mean copy the text I see here
https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProB...mmit/2b4cd178d35e95afb9da1eff2fc62497017b081c

Sorry, I never seem to be able to read github properly, I don't see a file to download anywhere, so just thought I needed to copy that text as a patch.

Have you added the ProBook DSDT patch repo to your MaciASL in Preferences -> Sources?

See here for how to setup MaciASL and the basic description of DSDT patching using the repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT

When looking at github repos, it is always a good idea to read the README. Either click on it, or scroll down past the list of files, as the README is always displayed on the repo's home page.

BTW, how does the '11' value work out for you that the system seem to use after a period of inactivity but just before the display is turned completely off?
Just tested in now quickly (with tired eyes...) the screen doesn't flicker and it seems to handle it fine... But on the other hand if I out the brightness to the lowest setting I didn't notice the brightness reduction, but it might be just my sleepy eyes... Will test it better tomorrow. But at least it doesn't make my screen freak out.

Do you think that it's possible that just some specific values create that flickery effect (low, but maybe not the lowest the backlight can handle), since you seem to know much more then me about how this backlight is being handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back