Contribute
Register

Native Brightness working without 'blinkscreen' using patched AppleBacklight.kext

Motherboard
Sony Vaio Fit 15e SVF15213CBW
CPU
i5-3337U/HM76
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks RehabMan!

It worked perfectly on my Vaio Fit 15e with HD 4000, the brightness slider finally showed up on System Preferences.

Now I'll try to make Fn+F5 and F6 keys control the brightness.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks RehabMan!

It worked perfectly on my Vaio Fit 15e with HD 4000, the brightness slider finally showed up on System Preferences.

Now I'll try to make Fn+F5 and F6 keys control the brightness.
Even so, you'll probably get better results using ACPIBacklight...

HD3000/HD4000 Brightness Fix:
DSDT Patches from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Apply:
"Rename GFX0 to IGPU"
"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"
- rename patch must be done first and to all DSDT/SSDT that contain references to GFX0 that you're including in your final SSDT set
- Brightness patch must be done to the DSDT or SSDT that contains the definition for Device GFX0 (search for 'Device (GFX0)'
- Place DSDT and SSDT (if necessary) into a place where the bootloader will load them. For Clover, EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (DSDT.aml, SSDT-x.aml where 'x' is a number). For Chameleon, /Extra/ssdt.aml, /Exra/ssdt-1.aml, /Extra/ssdt-2.aml, etc.

Install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

Motherboard
Sony Vaio Fit 15e SVF15213CBW
CPU
i5-3337U/HM76
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
iOS
Even so, you'll probably get better results using ACPIBacklight...

HD3000/HD4000 Brightness Fix:
DSDT Patches from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Apply:
"Rename GFX0 to IGPU"
"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"
- rename patch must be done first and to all DSDT/SSDT that contain references to GFX0 that you're including in your final SSDT set
- Brightness patch must be done to the DSDT or SSDT that contains the definition for Device GFX0 (search for 'Device (GFX0)'
- Place DSDT and SSDT (if necessary) into a place where the bootloader will load them. For Clover, EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (DSDT.aml, SSDT-x.aml where 'x' is a number). For Chameleon, /Extra/ssdt.aml, /Exra/ssdt-1.aml, /Extra/ssdt-2.aml, etc.

Install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight
Wow, this solved another problem for me.

My laptop sleeps just fine, but when it wakes up, the display's backlight wasn't waking up too, the screen was completely dark, but I was able see the login screen with some indirect light, like iPhone's flashlight. Brightness slider was also failing after wake up, but this DSDT patches with ACPIBacklight.kext solved all these problems. Now, when my Vaio wake up, the backlight and brightness slider works perfectly.

Thanks again RehabMan!!! :D

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i5
Graphics
HD3000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
thanks for this guide, worked perfectly on a 4530s . My brightness broke sometime in the upgrade to Mavericks, so it's nice to have it working again (and I can see when I'm working outside !!)

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
thanks for this guide, worked perfectly on a 4530s . My brightness broke sometime in the upgrade to Mavericks, so it's nice to have it working again (and I can see when I'm working outside !!)
Please see my other response to your question regarding sleep. Your DSDT is incorrectly patched...

Motherboard
Acer Aspire V3-571G
CPU
Intel Core i5 3210M
Graphics
Intel HD4000, NVIDIA 630M (disabled)
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Just a quick question Rehabman. :) Having enabled brightness control using your provided patches, I've noticed that if I lower screen brightness to it's minimum using the system display slider, it essentially turns the display off. Is that the intended effect or is such a low level of brightness supposed to be reserved for situations such as display sleep?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just a quick question Rehabman. :) Having enabled brightness control using your provided patches, I've noticed that if I lower screen brightness to it's minimum using the system display slider, it essentially turns the display off. Is that the intended effect or is such a low level of brightness supposed to be reserved for situations such as display sleep?
That is as intended by the folks in Cupertino.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
hi, i dont know if you good folks can solve a problem i am facing, i have a macbook pro with a replacement LCD panel from a polycarbonate macbook, the issue is the brightness controls for the new screen seem to be miscalibrated, i.e lowest brightness is still too bright and the remaining steps make a very small difference, I can recall the brightness going much lower on the polycarbonate macbook, so i was wondering there is anything from your patches i can use to recalibrate the brightness controls, sorry if OT.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
hi, i dont know if you good folks can solve a problem i am facing, i have a macbook pro with a replacement LCD panel from a polycarbonate macbook, the issue is the brightness controls for the new screen seem to be miscalibrated, i.e lowest brightness is still too bright and the remaining steps make a very small difference, I can recall the brightness going much lower on the polycarbonate macbook, so i was wondering there is anything from your patches i can use to recalibrate the brightness controls, sorry if OT.
Maybe...

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.