Contribute
Register

Native Brightness working without 'blinkscreen' using patched AppleBacklight.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
This gives a big range of brightness selections, but my display can't handle the lowest brightness, it starts flickering in a "scary" way. It seems the LEDs can't handle such a low voltage and start turning off and on...

On one side I like this more vanilla approach but on the other side I like the fine-tuning that the ACPI kexts enables and the smooth transactions makes if feel more vanilla then current vanilla, undecided.

Yeah, more vanilla, but the other method can't be broken with system update, unlike this one. I've just tried it and it works well, but prefer the old one.

BTW, RM, isn't it better to be used a kext injector, since this "patch" is just a plist modification?

This gives a big range of brightness selections, but my display can't handle the lowest brightness, it starts flickering in a "scary" way. It seems the LEDs can't handle such a low voltage and start turning off and on...

You can change the brightness values that are used. Most of the values I just grabbed from another entry in the existing Info.plist.

Take a close look at the 4x40s_Brightness.plist.

The ability to go to lower values must depend on the screen you have...

Note: It is not modifying the voltage. The backlight is controlled by PWM.

On one side I like this more vanilla approach but on the other side I like the fine-tuning that the ACPI kexts enables and the smooth transactions makes if feel more vanilla then current vanilla, undecided.

Same here, but I thought I'd put it out for people to look at. And of course, the smooth transitions don't work on the HD4000 very well. We'll see if that stays the same when I change my screen out (forgot some parts at home, so won't be able to do it for a while).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, more vanilla, but the other method can't be broken with system update, unlike this one. I've just tried it and it works well, but prefer the old one.

BTW, RM, isn't it better to be used a kext injector, since this "patch" is just a plist modification?

I don't like the injector method as I don't like the warnings from the system about 'already have blah blah blah'...

So could this or one of the other methods be put in to clover to auto patch like trim enabler and AppleHDA?

Clover does have the capability for Info.plist patching. And this is simply an Info.plist patch only.

Not sure what is involved there...

Fix also works for Elitebook 8560p. Thanks!

You can change the brightness values that are used. Most of the values I just grabbed from another entry in the existing Info.plist.

Take a close look at the 4x40s_Brightness.plist.
Thx for the hints, I managed to take the lowest value out and re-calibrate the curve (which came handy since the original one ends oddly).
original.gif
For now I will stick to this method.

Probably with warnings mentioned above...

Maybe. Maybe not. I've played with this kexts injection stuff the last two days. Removed all ProBook-specific kexts (incl. FakeSMC.kext) from /S/L/E, rebuilt the kext cache and put them all in EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9. Added to config.plist/SystemParameters/Inject kext=yes. Then added the AppleHDA binary patch to config.plist and nguyenmac's injector in /S/L/E and restored the vanilla AppleHDA.kext. The only patched kext left in /S/L/E is the Capri kext, but I think it's a matter of time to be found a solution for it with Clover.

Maybe. Maybe not. I've played with this kexts injection stuff the last two days. Removed all ProBook-specific kexts (incl. FakeSMC.kext) from /S/L/E, rebuilt the kext cache and put them all in EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9. Added to config.plist/SystemParameters/Inject kext=yes. Then added the AppleHDA binary patch to config.plist and nguyenmac's injector in /S/L/E and restored the vanilla AppleHDA.kext. The only patched kext left in /S/L/E is the Capri kext, but I think it's a matter of time to be found a solution for it with Clover.

Aside des from the possibility of errors (c
which could be corrected / set to ignore?)

any noticable delay in boot times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back