Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi :)

I have a couple XFX Rx590 Fatboy that were flashed with the vBIOS of Powercolor RX590 Red Devil in order to work without boot issue on macOS.

On 10.12.6 they were recognized as Radeon Polaris 8GB (Same thing with other Rx590 Sapphire, that didn't require vBIOS flashing)
Now, on 10.14.3 they are recognized as Radeon Rx480 8GB

Is this only cosmetic (performances are the same) or should I fix this in order to have full functionality of these Rx590?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,
-a-

put the blame on AMD/NVIDIA, same old product but with different marketing names, they like to play the rebranding games to fool the users

put the blame on AMD/NVIDIA, same old product but with different marketing names, they like to play the rebranding games to fool the users
So the name doesn't matter?
Weired that the name changed between Sierra and Mojave, though...

Tx
-a-

So the name doesn't matter?
Weired that the name changed between Sierra and Mojave, though...

Tx
-a-

you have to remember macOS officially only support mac hardware

you have to remember macOS officially only support mac hardware
I still don't understand why the same card changed names from sierra to mojave

Does the name of the card reported in System Report have any importance or is it only cosmetic?

I read somewhere that some hardware acceleration is disabled in mojave for Rx5xx cards. Is it also true for such cards that are detected as Rx480 in SysRep?

It's entirely cosmetic. What features are enabled depends on which kext (and possibly frame buffer) is loaded, and that doesn't use the card name for detection.

All Polaris based cards have some of the h264/h264 encoding/decoding disabled by default. The card name doesn't determine this, the loaded kext does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back