Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus H97I-Plus
CPU
i3-4130T
Graphics
Onboard
So, I'm wanting to try Hackintosh to get my foot in the door and learn the system before dropping coin on a system. The issue is getting everything I need set up without an existing Mac.

If I buy a Snow Leopard DVD, does the iBoot option still work in terms of installation? I figure that would at least get me to the point where I can create a Sierra install USB. Is an in-place upgrade to Sierra possible once Snow Leopard is loaded?

I'll be using a i7-3770K with onboard graphics, a Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard, and 16GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can install on that hardware - use iBoot Ivy Bridge instead of iBoot.
Note that the only reason to install SL on Ivy bridge is to be able to download later versions of Mac OS that will run natively on IB hardware. It will not boot SL from HDD/SSD and work as it should.

Yeah, the long-term goal is to run Sierra. I didn't know of any other "legit" way of getting it since I don't have access to a Mac, other than buying a prior version.

Your total cost is for the SL DVD - USD$19.99 - https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
and for the Lion download - USD$19.99 - https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

After the Lion install all later versions of Mac OS are free downloads. If you have never downloaded any of the versions between Lion and Sierra then you will have to download Sierra as it is the only one at this time you will be allowed to download. Soon High Sierra will be available.

I'm confused is it both or either? Could I just download Lion and build a bootable USB drive?

I understand that, hence skipping the process by building a bootable USB.

Use Transmac, write the OSX DMG file to USB.

Use Transmac, write the OSX DMG file to USB.
It is an installer not a dmg.
You download it from the App Store which requires you to use a Mac (or a Hackintosh).
This is why you need to go down the Snow Leopard route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back