Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sorry if this is longwinded or more detail than necessary! I'm a total n00b when it comes to networking :(

I finally got my 10.11.6 machine to run with a static private IP so my Verizon FIOS router would keep it available with port forwarding rules, but it seems whenever the machine gets restarted (maybe once a week?) the whole thing is ruined and I have to start from scratch. I'm comfortable with *nix and cli and all that, but I'm useless when it comes to networking.

I've seen other people run hackintosh PLEX Media Servers here (on HTPCs, etc) and report success. Not sure if they ever restart their computers, though, and I don't have a dedicated server to keep up 24/7

I set the Network (using the System Preferences tools) to Ethernet0 and DHCP (Using Manual Address) and set it to something outside my router's auto-DHCP range. Seems to work great, I'm stuck at 192.168.1.6 (auto range is set to 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.99) just where I want to be. Set the router port forwarding rule for TCP [ANY] -> 32400

I think what is happening is whenever my El Cap tower restarts (switching OS, installing software or updates, etc) it reverts to DHCP maybe? Is there a better way to get a static IP so I can keep a TCP port open through my firewall?

Sorry if this is longwinded or more detail than necessary! I'm a total n00b when it comes to networking :(

I finally got my 10.11.6 machine to run with a static private IP so my Verizon FIOS router would keep it available with port forwarding rules, but it seems whenever the machine gets restarted (maybe once a week?) the whole thing is ruined and I have to start from scratch. I'm comfortable with *nix and cli and all that, but I'm useless when it comes to networking.

I've seen other people run hackintosh PLEX Media Servers here (on HTPCs, etc) and report success. Not sure if they ever restart their computers, though, and I don't have a dedicated server to keep up 24/7

I set the Network (using the System Preferences tools) to Ethernet0 and DHCP (Using Manual Address) and set it to something outside my router's auto-DHCP range. Seems to work great, I'm stuck at 192.168.1.6 (auto range is set to 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.99) just where I want to be. Set the router port forwarding rule for TCP [ANY] -> 32400

I think what is happening is whenever my El Cap tower restarts (switching OS, installing software or updates, etc) it reverts to DHCP maybe? Is there a better way to get a static IP so I can keep a TCP port open through my firewall?

Do you have a Static or Dynamic Public IP? Are you using Server App from the Mac App Store?

If the external IP is static then its to do with your internal IP address setup most likely. Bear in mind that when using Plex across a network you also have to be signed in for some strange reason.

My external IP is not static, I have normal residential internet service. My private ("local") IP is static within my LAN. THAT is the one that keeps getting reset to DHCP dynamically every reboot (instead of staying set to DHCP Manual)

My external IP is not static, I have normal residential internet service. My private ("local") IP is static within my LAN. THAT is the one that keeps getting reset to DHCP dynamically every reboot (instead of staying set to DHCP Manual)

I think you have something wrong with your Networking. Look at this screenshot as an example. But personally i recommend checking with the ISP that the Public IP is static.

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 05.58.34.png

But personally i recommend checking with the ISP that the Public IP is static.

My Public IP is ***NOT*** Static and it doesn't need to be. That's why you sign into PLEX with a username/password, so that the PLEX system can find your computer wherever your server is set up (it gets logged in their database as a media server and you control which users can access your server... kind of like a private Netflix style service that you can control the content that's on it and which users have access to which content...)

I'm doing this because I'm getting almost 900Mbps upload speeds consistently and have nothing better to do with it than allow my friends free access to my media library ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back