Graphics
Craptastic Nvidia 200 or something
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First off, many, many thanks for the time & effort of everyone involved on this site / the various software projects.

Secondly, I know, I know - I am stupid and didn't research enough, but I bought a Z77-DS3H (Ivy Bridge) mobo and a i5-2400 (Sandy Bridge) CPU. Stupid. I know.

So anyhow, it's taken me about two days but I finally have the system up, but I didn't follow MacMan's thread to a T.

This may seem apparent but I had major problems in the beginning that related to me trying to use the D-Sub VGA port on the motherboard when installing from USB. This is a no-no and was the cause of much trouble. Once I switched over to the digital connection things got moving along.

After I copied over the mach_kernel from the USB to my Lion partition, I rebooted from the USB into Lion as per directed, ran MultiBeast, but DID NOT check any video kexts. I don't know exactly why but this was causing my system to get to the apple screen and I got a spinny / beach ball of death. Another thing I didn't do this time is run BridgeHelper 5.0 again.

Questions:
1. Do I / Should I run BridgeHelper again on my Lion partition / install?
2. I am getting the impression that HD2000 graphics kind of blow. Can anyone recommend a decent < $50 video card? All I need to do is watch videos - I don't do any gaming etc.

Thanks again!

First off, many, many thanks for the time & effort of everyone involved on this site / the various software projects.

Secondly, I know, I know - I am stupid and didn't research enough, but I bought a Z77-DS3H (Ivy Bridge) mobo and a i5-2400 (Sandy Bridge) CPU. Stupid. I know.

So anyhow, it's taken me about two days but I finally have the system up, but I didn't follow MacMan's thread to a T.

This may seem apparent but I had major problems in the beginning that related to me trying to use the D-Sub VGA port on the motherboard when installing from USB. This is a no-no and was the cause of much trouble. Once I switched over to the digital connection things got moving along.

After I copied over the mach_kernel from the USB to my Lion partition, I rebooted from the USB into Lion as per directed, ran MultiBeast, but DID NOT check any video kexts. I don't know exactly why but this was causing my system to get to the apple screen and I got a spinny / beach ball of death. Another thing I didn't do this time is run BridgeHelper 5.0 again.

Questions:
2. I am getting the impression that HD2000 graphics kind of blow. Can anyone recommend a decent < $50 video card? All I need to do is watch videos - I don't do any gaming etc.

Thanks again!

Hi Tehsuck
I'm a Noob here with almost the same setup Z77 DS3H i7 2600k
I'm trying to install 10.7.3 wanting to use the onboard video can you please tell me the install steps you have
taking to get everything up and running I'm having all kinds of problems.:banghead:

many thanks;-)

Questions:

Thanks again!

1. You don't need bridgehelper. Bridgehelper is for Ivy Bridge CPU.
2. I do not know much about VGA but I recommend gtx 550

1. You don't need bridgehelper. Bridgehelper is for Ivy Bridge CPU.

You sure about that? I don't have an IB CPU, but according to BridgeHelper 5.0:

tonymacx86 Blog: BridgeHelper 5.0: Native Ivy Bridge Kernel & Power Management, USB 3.0, and Intel HD 4000
Native Kernel
Native CPU Power Management

Speedstep and sleep working
Will remove NullCPUPowerManagement if found
Intel HD 4000 graphics drivers for testing
Not functional yet- no QE/CI
Chipset support for Intel 7 Series USB 3.0
Patched chipset support for Intel 7 Series AHCI

So yeah, my question was more of do I need to run it *again* if everything is working?

If it's working correctly, no I don't think you do. And Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPUs (with the exception of -e CPUS) are socket 1155, so they are compatible.

Hi Tehsuck
I'm a Noob here with almost the same setup Z77 DS3H i7 2600k
I'm trying to install 10.7.3 wanting to use the onboard video can you please tell me the install steps you have
taking to get everything up and running I'm having all kinds of problems.:banghead:
many thanks;-)

You need to use 10.7.4 w/ BridgeHelper 5.0 as AFAIK it is the only version of OSX that has been patched to support Ivy Bridge CPUs / chipsets.

If you follow MacMan's thread here you should have success.

The only thing I am not sure about is when he checks off Nvidia 4xx/5xx support in MutliBeast. I spent about a day making installs w/ that checked and I would get an gray-screen w/ Apple logo and a forever-spinny / beachaball. I did *not* check that kext and it seemed to fix my issues. Now I have HD2000 graphics support (though limited). In your case I believe the i7 2600 support HD3000 graphics so it should be supported w/ MultiBeast 5.0 / BridgeHelper.

You need to purchase a gfx card. You do not need Bridgehelper.

Tehsuck thanks for the help ,would I need to use bridge helper? I have the i7 2600k "sandy bridge" not "ivy bridge" in my case.

Well I tried a geforce 210 video card and still having issues like black screen when booting
tried a few setting in multibeast but can't get it to work, I would want it to work with 2 displays if possible.

thanks for all the help I appreciated.:thumbup:

Tehsuck thanks for the help ,would I need to use bridge helper? I have the i7 2600k "sandy bridge" not "ivy bridge" in my case.
Don't need BridgeHelper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back