Contribute
Register

nⓩxtMac Pro - i9-9900k - Gigabyte Aorus z390 Pro - macOS Mojave - Sapphire Vega 64 Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm desperately wanting to upgrade my current laptop (ASUS GL752VW, hackintosh'd) to the i9 MacBook Pro. It's sexy.

With the Vega and i9 combo, you're going to see an insane amount of performance increase. Even if you don't go to the full 5.1GHz OC, you should still be able to (more than comfortably) do a 5GHz OC. More or less the same settings as outlined above, except VCore will generally sit between 1.2v and 1.3 (Sometimes 1.35). 5GHz for me is 1.235. Don't use AVX offset, as it doesn't operate properly within the macOS environment and will simply downclock and retain the higher voltage. So, needless heat production.
I added to the last post. I looked in your SSDT file to see about cpu setup spoof. Did you even do one for that or did OSX just know it was a 8core 16 thread? I keep asking questions so that I can be prepared for tomorrow evening. I was 16 days in on a MacBook Pro 560x when they did the silent upgrade to the Vega. Apple was kind enough to let me order the new one and return the 560x.

Edit. Never mind I see fakesmc now in the kext.

Last edited:
I added to the last post. I looked in your SSDT file to see about cpu setup spoof. Did you even do one for that or did OSX just know it was a 8core 16 thread? I keep asking questions so that I can be prepared for tomorrow evening. I was 16 days in on a MacBook Pro 560x when they did the silent upgrade to the Vega. Apple was kind enough to let me order the new one and return the 560x.

Edit. Never mind I see fakesmc now in the kext.

The About This Mac is actually cosmetic - I changed the strings.plist to reflect the processor type. Previously it was showing as Unknown 4.6GHz. I think my FakeCPUID may still be in my config.plist, tbh, but I do remember my 8700 switching to a proper string output when the Coffee Lake support shipped in a macOS update. I'm not 100% sure if it's the remnants of the FakeCPUID that is allowing the i9 to be supported, or the legacy support for Coffee Lake that Apple did. It is only a Coffee Lake refreshed CPU, afterall. A lot of my config.plist is ported from my 8700 build, with an MSI B360 Gaming Plus mobo. I only removed a few boot flags, and cleaned out unnecessary kexts and drivers64 stuff. I had expected a hell of a lot of changes to be necessary during the upgrade process, but to my extreme surprise (and utter delight. It was late at night) it booted right away with no issues.

The About This Mac is actually cosmetic - I changed the strings.plist to reflect the processor type. Previously it was showing as Unknown 4.6GHz. I think my FakeCPUID may still be in my config.plist, tbh, but I do remember my 8700 switching to a proper string output when the Coffee Lake support shipped in a macOS update. I'm not 100% sure if it's the remnants of the FakeCPUID that is allowing the i9 to be supported, or the legacy support for Coffee Lake that Apple did. It is only a Coffee Lake refreshed CPU, afterall. A lot of my config.plist is ported from my 8700 build, with an MSI B360 Gaming Plus mobo. I only removed a few boot flags, and cleaned out unnecessary kexts and drivers64 stuff. I had expected a hell of a lot of changes to be necessary during the upgrade process, but to my extreme surprise (and utter delight. It was late at night) it booted right away with no issues.

I’m hoping just by using your new efi folder I’ll be up and running by tomorrow evening. I’ll change your seriel in smbios before I even let it connect to internet. Biggest pain I have is taking the board and stuff out of mine and replacing. Placing the CPU always makes me a nervous wreck.

I’m hoping just by using your new efi folder I’ll be up and running by tomorrow evening. I’ll change your seriel in smbios before I even let it connect to internet. Biggest pain I have is taking the board and stuff out of mine and replacing. Placing the CPU always makes me a nervous wreck.

I totally get that. lol. I have faith in you!

Before I get started here in a little bit this was the Memory from last build. DDR4 is still the same from what I have gathered. But to be safe.

HyperX Fury 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2133MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL14 1.2V Black DIMM (288-pin) HX421C14FBK2/32 (Intel XMP)

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I get started here in a little bit this was the Memory from last build. DDR4 is still the same from what I have gathered. But to be safe.

HyperX Fury 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2133MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL14 1.2V Black DIMM (288-pin) HX421C14FBK2/32 (Intel XMP)

You should be totally fine with that. XMP may even allow 2666MHz OC.

You should be totally fine with that. XMP may even allow 2666MHz OC.
Im getting there.... I had to put FakeSMC.kext to the EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder. To get it to boot. It was missing somehow.

At setup screen. When I choose country and keyboard goes fine. When internet setup is asked I select use DHCP and it automatically reboots.

Last edited:
Im getting there.... I had to put FakeSMC.kext to the EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder. To get it to boot. It was missing somehow.

At setup screen. When I choose country and keyboard goes fine. When internet setup is asked I select use DHCP and it automatically reboots.

Skip the internet setup. You can have an easier time of it once you’re installed and booted.

Skip the internet setup. You can have an easier time of it once you’re installed and booted.
Skipping it. Loading apps from backup and not settings as I know not to do. Once in what did you do to enable internet over the Ethernet port?

Edit.... Got it using MulitBeast and installing Intel Ethernet drivers.

Edit 2..... Up and fully running. FCPX is nice. Going to bed. Thanks. I really appreciate the guide!!

Last edited:
Skipping it. Loading apps from backup and not settings as I know not to do. Once in what did you do to enable internet over the ethernet port?

Edit.... Got it using mulitbeast and installing intel ethernet drivers.

Edit 2..... Up and fully running. FCPX is nice. Going to bed. Thanks. I really appreciate the guide!!

Hell yeah man! Congratulations on the new hack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back