Contribute
Register

Mysterious Blackscreen/Crash with running Audio (10.4.1-10.4.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z370M D3H
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Information:
CPU: i7 8700k​
Board: Gigabyte Z370M D3H​
GPU: Saphire Vega 56 8Gb Nitro +​
Audio: ALC892​
SSD: Samsung 970 512Gb M.2 NVME​
System: 10.4.1 - 10.4.4​
SMBios: iMac Pro 19.1​

Hello Guys,

I have a mysterious problem with my Hackintosh.
Its currently running 10.4.4 but the problem also exists in 10.4.1..2..3.

Whats happening:
Every time the "Crash" happens the monitor flickers/flashes 1 frame of random noise (sometimes no noise), than goes Black or to sleep.​
The fan on the GPU will sometimes ramp up to 100% speed.​
If audio/video is playing it will keep playing without looping, just like normal, i can still hear it, BUT i cannot change the volume on the keyboard or pause the playback, the Hackintosh is like frozen with still fine playing audio.​
If the crash occurs, i can not remote in to it via the remote desktop from a other mac.​
I can only reboot via reset button or by using the PSU switch. Sometimes the reset switch does not help,​
the GPU fans will still be running 100% and i will still have a black screen.​

Occurence:
Sometimes idle (while only monitor sleep but still programs open)​
sometimes while watching Youtube with chrome,​
sometimes while watching Netflix with safari,​
i did not experience the crash while luxmark did a benchmark, i also tried to run the benchmark several times to rule out any thermal/PSU issues​
Timeframe:
1h after boot, somtimes the PC is running 1-2 days and does not experience the problem​
What i have tried to resolve the problem? (Hardware):

I have swapped my Saphire Vega 56 with my friend. He has a Saphire RX580 and he uses Windows.​
He didn't experience the same issues, all was fine. Strangely i didn't experience any crashes while i had the RX580 installed.​
I also have windows installed and there my Vega 56 works fine and i don't have crashes,​
but i only run windows for gaming and i only game 1-2h.​
I was thinking it must be a hardware issue, but i ruled that out by swapping the card for 1-2 weeks.​
So a software problem?​
What i have tried to resolve the problem? (Software):
When i first encountered the fault i was running 10.4.1 with VegaTab config injection and WEG/Lilu.​
So i tried several things.​
Without WEG ->same​
Without VegaTab ->same​
With VegaTab Underclocked to -100mhz ->same​
With UHD630 -> same (also breaks DRM so no good)​
With Radeondeinit -> same​
This happened over a timeframe of weeks/month. So a new update was available and i updated and tried the same things. ->same​
Now i am on 10.4.4 and i still have this issue :(
Whats Working?:

everything​
BT/Wifi (Airport Card)​
Ethernet​
Sleep​
Audio (and HDMI audio but i don't use that)​
iCloud​
DRM​
HW encoder​
jpeg preview/quicklook​
USB​
Whats not Working?:
the bug/crash​
2 USB ports, but that's a onboard header that i don't use.​
So i am struggling to finde the issue and i need help, i am all out of ideas, google does not help, seemingly nobody is having the same problem.
What should i try next? What files are needed for somebody to diagnose the problem?
I am sick of this, all is working so good, only this stupid problem.
So if somebody has a idea it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and afford!

Last edited:
Information:
CPU: i7 8700k​
Board: Gigabyte Z370M D3H​
GPU: Saphire Vega 56 8Gb Nitro +​
Audio: ALC892​
SSD: Samsung 970 512Gb M.2 NVME​
System: 10.4.1 - 10.4.4​
SMBios: iMac Pro 19.1​

Hello Guys,

I have a mysterious problem with my Hackintosh.
Its currently running 10.4.4 but the problem also exists in 10.4.1..2..3.

Whats happening:
Every time the "Crash" happens the monitor flickers/flashes 1 frame of random noise (sometimes no noise), than goes Black or to sleep.​
The fan on the GPU will sometimes ramp up to 100% speed.​
If audio/video is playing it will keep playing without looping, just like normal, i can still hear it, BUT i cannot change the volume on the keyboard or pause the playback, the Hackintosh is like frozen with still fine playing audio.​
If the crash occurs, i can not remote in to it via the remote desktop from a other mac.​
I can only reboot via reset button or by using the PSU switch. Sometimes the reset switch does not help,​
the GPU fans will still be running 100% and i will still have a black screen.​

Occurence:
Sometimes idle (while only monitor sleep but still programs open)​
sometimes while watching Youtube with chrome,​
sometimes while watching Netflix with safari,​
i did not experience the crash while luxmark did a benchmark, i also tried to run the benchmark several times to rule out any thermal/PSU issues​
Timeframe:
1h after boot, somtimes the PC is running 1-2 days and does not experience the problem​
What i have tried to resolve the problem? (Hardware):

I have swapped my Saphire Vega 56 with my friend. He has a Saphire RX580 and he uses Windows.​
He didn't experience the same issues, all was fine. Strangely i didn't experience any crashes while i had the RX580 installed.​
I also have windows installed and there my Vega 56 works fine and i don't have crashes,​
but i only run windows for gaming and i only game 1-2h.​
I was thinking it must be a hardware issue, but i ruled that out by swapping the card for 1-2 weeks.​
So a software problem?​
What i have tried to resolve the problem? (Software):
When i first encountered the fault i was running 10.4.1 with VegaTab config injection and WEG/Lilu.​
So i tried several things.​
Without WEG ->same​
Without VegaTab ->same​
With VegaTab Underclocked to -100mhz ->same​
With UHD630 -> same (also breaks DRM so no good)​
With Radeondeinit -> same​
This happened over a timeframe of weeks/month. So a new update was available and i updated and tried the same things. ->same​
Now i am on 10.4.4 and i still have this issue :(
Whats Working?:

everything​
BT/Wifi (Airport Card)​
Ethernet​
Sleep​
Audio (and HDMI audio but i don't use that)​
iCloud​
DRM​
HW encoder​
jpeg preview/quicklook​
USB​
Whats not Working?:
the bug/crash​
2 USB ports, but that's a onboard header that i don't use.​
So i am struggling to finde the issue and i need help, i am all out of ideas, google does not help, seemingly nobody is having the same problem.
What should i try next? What files are needed for somebody to diagnose the problem?
I am sick of this, all is working so good, only this stupid problem.
So if somebody has a idea it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and afford!

Check your System Definition. "iMacPro 19,1" doesn't look right. Maybe "iMac19,1" or "iMacPro1,1" etc?

I guess for the GPU then iMacPro1,1 might be good, but for the CPU iMac19,2 ?

Because the hardware is obviously working fine it has to be configuration.

:)

Hello, thank you for your reply.
Oh yes, I have written something wrong.

I have my System Definition as iMac Pro 1,1.
I am confused, I have tried so many things.

I also tried iMac 19.2 but than my jpeg preview (Quicklook) is broken if I don't use the internal UHD630.
And if I use the UHD630 with iMac 19.2 than I have DRM problems e.g Netflix not working in safari and only HW acceleration with UHD630 witch is slower.
But with both configurations I still have the same crash problems.

I have also uploaded my cleaned EFI folder + Ioreg export + L/E picture.
Maybe somebody sees something that I am doing wrong.

Have a nice day.

Attachments

• Archiv.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 211
I am having a very similar problem. I'm using smbios iMac18,3...screens randomly lose signal and the only way to recover is to hard reset. Definitely interested in troubleshooting further. It's infuriating!

Hello,
Update:
I did update all the way to 10.15.4.
I still have the same problem.
I didn’t change the smb bios.
Updates did work smoothly.
But I still can not get the system stable :/ I am tired of this.
anybody an idea?

I tracked the issue down further, and was able to eliminate a huge source of it, but it still happens occasionally when I slip up.

For me, it was static electricity. I had one of those plastic floor mats for rolling chairs. Rolling over it was generating a static field strong enough apparently to interfere with the Vega 56. Removing the plastic mat from under my chair eliminated 95% of my instability. Now I can generally only make it happen by touching a bare connector, or any metal part of my monitors while I have my shoes on. If I'm not wearing shoes, I don't seem to generate enough static on my person to interfere no matter what I touch. It's really the most bizarre thing.

This ONLY seems to happen with the Vega series cards, it may just be the Vega 56, but I have not tested with a 64. I hav tested with both an RX580 and a GTX 1060, neither of which experience the interference.

Maybe my building has bad grounding or faulty wiring, I've been meaning to bring a receptacle tester and volt meter, but we're 100% remote with all this virus nonsense going on. I will definitely report back once I've done that.

Try removing sources of static, maybe you're hitting the same brick wall I am.

Hello,

i have a high static environment.
My Hackintosh is deployed as a media pc in my Livingroom.
It stands right next to my couch and on the couch are pillows and stuff that’s made of polyester.
The pc connects to a Sony 4K projector as a Display that hangs above on the ceiling. So no possibility to touch the Display.
And:
I also did experience these crashes while I am not near the pc. Sometimes I am listening to music on a different part of the room and the pc crashes. Sometimes (dry weather conditions) I am lying on my couch on some random polyester blanket and I am drawing sparks while touching my iPhone that’s charging on my pc but no crash happens.
Maybe it is something with your monitors?
I did not experienceing any crashes in windows, so I don’t think it has something to do with static.
But I noticed that I have texture gliches in GTAV.
I did purchase a gigabyte 5700xt.
I hope this solves the problem without adding a other one.

For the record:
I Changed to a Gigabyte 5700Xt gaming OC.
It did not change a thing.
Same Same but different.
Now i have black screen every time it crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back