Contribute
Register

My Skylake Hackintosh...Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3/I7-6700K/GTX950???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i5-6600K
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys,

In the last couple of months I have been reading a lot on the forum to prepare myself for my first Hackintosh build and also waiting for the Skylake support.
I have no experience what soever with building a hackintosh so it's gonna be a challenge...
My wish is to have a silent build.

The list of hardware I picked out is below:
Motherboard / Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
Processor / i7-6700K
Cooler / Noctua NH-D14
Graphics / GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 950 XTREME GAMING 2GB GDDR5
Mem 2x16 32gb / Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
SSD / Samsung SM951 (NVMe) 512GB
Harddisk / Seagate Desktop HDD 1 TB
PSU / Corsair AX760 Professional 760
Wireless / ABWB 802.11AC WI-FI With Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E) BCM943602CS Combo Card
Case / Power Mac G5
ATX Low 120 Kit / The laser hive - 120 Low Full ATX Kit
Case Fan / Noctua NF-S12A PWN, 120mm
Screen / Dell Ultrasharp U2913WM 21:9

Questions I have:
  1. Initially I was going for the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard but after a lot of comparisons I don't see the added value of the Gaming 7 over the UD3 for myself(am I missing something?). I want it to be a bit future proof, so USB-C and HDMI 2.0 were must haves.
  2. The Z170X-UD3 has HDMI1.4 support, but as I am using the GTX 950 and it has HDMI 2.0 support .
    Will the motherboard be a bottleneck, or will HDMI 2.0 function properly?
  3. I want really fast stable 802.11AC as I am not going to use LAN. And I will need Bluetooth so I am able to use handoff and all the nice OSX stuff without issues. I read that the ABWB wireless card is plug and play...
    Is there any other good alternative?
  4. I have a 21:9 screen, will I have issues with the resolution for this screen?
  5. The 760WATT PSU, I calculated it would need around 320Watts, but I also read it's good to have double the power supply. Is it overkill?
  6. I was looking for the Corsair H60 Hydro, but then I read there is a risk of leaks and a good Air Cooler is as effective and maybe even more silent? What are your thoughts? (I ended up changing the Hydro for an Air Cooler)
  7. I will use my Powermac G5 as a Case, using the "120 Low FULL kit" from Laserhive. Any other alternatives?
  8. Does the i7 6700k and GTX950 combo make sense? Or would it be better to use the shared graphics on the motherboard?
  9. It's still a bit unclear for me how many cooling fan's I will need for this build...
I hope you guys can confirm I did my homework well and that I'm not missing things, created challenges with this setup or have any incompatibility issues.

Any suggestions for changes are welcome.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

In the last couple of months I have been reading a lot on the forum to prepare myself for my first Hackintosh build and also waiting for the Skylake support.
I have no experience what soever with building a hackintosh so it's gonna be a challenge...
My wish is to have a silent build.

The list of hardware I picked out is below:
Motherboard / Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
Processor / i7-6700K
Cooler / Noctua NH-D14
Graphics / GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 950 XTREME GAMING 2GB GDDR5
Mem 2x16 32gb / Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
SSD / Samsung SM951 (NVMe) 512GB
Harddisk / Seagate Desktop HDD 1 TB
PSU / Corsair AX760 Professional 760
Wireless / ABWB 802.11AC WI-FI With Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E) BCM943602CS Combo Card
Case / Power Mac G5
ATX Low 120 Kit / The laser hive - 120 Low Full ATX Kit
Case Fan / Noctua NF-S12A PWN, 120mm
Screen / Dell Ultrasharp U2913WM 21:9

Questions I have:
  1. Initially I was going for the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard but after a lot of comparisons I don't see the added value of the Gaming 7 over the UD3 for myself(am I missing something?). I want it to be a bit future proof, so USB-C and HDMI 2.0 were must haves.
  2. The Z170X-UD3 has HDMI1.4 support, but as I am using the GTX 950 and it has HDMI 2.0 support .
    Will the motherboard be a bottleneck, or will HDMI 2.0 function properly?
  3. I want really fast stable 802.11AC as I am not going to use LAN. And I will need Bluetooth so I am able to use handoff and all the nice OSX stuff without issues. I read that the ABWB wireless card is plug and play...
    Is there any other good alternative?
  4. I have a 21:9 screen, will I have issues with the resolution for this screen?
  5. The 760WATT PSU, I calculated it would need around 320Watts, but I also read it's good to have double the power supply. Is it overkill?
  6. I was looking for the Corsair H60 Hydro, but then I read there is a risk of leaks and a good Air Cooler is as effective and maybe even more silent? What are your thoughts? (I ended up changing the Hydro for an Air Cooler)
  7. I will use my Powermac G5 as a Case, using the "120 Low FULL kit" from Laserhive. Any other alternatives?
  8. Does the i7 6700k and GTX950 combo make sense? Or would it be better to use the shared graphics on the motherboard?
  9. It's still a bit unclear for me how many cooling fan's I will need for this build...
I hope you guys can confirm I did my homework well and that I'm not missing things, created challenges with this setup or have any incompatibility issues.

Any suggestions for changes are welcome.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers

1) better audio chip, dual lan, more SATA, thunderbolt, etc.
2) one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
3) no.
4) no.
5) if you can afford no such thing as overkill
8) since you make no indication of what you're using it for, can't say.
9) depends on what you want. more fan = cooler = more noise, so take your pick. study your g5 case for airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back