Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Rumor is that next week Apple will update the Mac Pro : http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/06/all ... g-at-wwdc/

I used to buy MBPs, but got tired of them after noticing that 3 years later, the computer was not keeping up well (games or heavy apps) overheating issues which would actually shut the computer off in windows 7; Durability and portability issues as the computer tends to damage easily when trekking around like I do; and of course inability to upgrade existing hardware.

Thoughts that make me reconsider are the Retina displays which may be included on the MBPs. Only problem being that most likely the GPU will be too weak to use it to its highest potential. But then rumors of external GPU thunderbolt adapters from folks loke MSI: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5352/msis ... hunderbolt

I will miss the portability of MBPs but honestly I do not need a portable gaming system as much as a word processor and presentation device. The iPad with bluetooth keyboard im on now seems to suffice at the minimum level.

Steve Jobs did insist the "Post-PC" era is upon us before he died. And the iPad is far more durable and portable than the fragile MBP IMHO.

Ive never been on a "workstation" but ive done video creation and editing on my MBP (which could barly keep up) and Ive always wanted a high ranked gaming capabiliy and love the idea of being able to simply upgrade a GPU for better performance.

Mac Pros right now are priced close to the MBPs but those are two years old. If u look at the rumors the new Mac Pros will cost 3000 USD base model.

I know a Hackintosh well built could match geekbench scores of a current (2010) 12 core Mac Pro for about 2000 USD. Only problem is: I now have no computer except this iPad, and ive never built a PC before. However I could use my schools computer to copy onto a thumb drive all I need to have for installations and my iPad can get me on the net for reference and questions.

Would a lowest end Mac Pro be cost effective? With their new Xeon E5s (Wonder what the geekbench scores would be)? Would it be wise to even consider one on my limited student budget? Should I stick with MBP? Or should I take the plunge and build a Hackintosh, be most economical, and get an education in the process?

Any advice appreciated.

I won't say you anything what to do, because it's your decision and your money.

If you choose the Hackintosh way, we will help you. ;)

I understand ur trepidation on giving advice, but what then of my reasoning and other points...?

Here's my take:

-If you want a laptop because you need portability, buy an Apple laptop. I personally don't believe hackintosh laptops are worth it.

-If you want a powerful stationary machine, build a hackintosh. You'll get so much more for you money, you'll learn a lot in the process, and you'll end up with a machine that you can maintain on your own. You'll have the opportunity to replace components when they become outdated, which also adds value.

-If you're wise with your hardware choices, there is no reason you couldn't achieve an extremely powerful and stable machine that costs you a fraction of the price of a Mac Pro.

Any other questions?

Vendetta said:
Here's my take:

-If you want a laptop because you need portability, buy an Apple laptop. I personally don't believe hackintosh laptops are worth it.
Absolute agreement. If you don't need a screaming CPU monster the Macbook Air is actually a great machine. You will not find one with similarly nice hardware for anything near the same amount of money.

I have a MacBook Pro, my wife has the Air. I kind of wish I had the Air, since I have to lug my machine to and from work every day in a backpack (I walk/take subway). I rarely need the CPU juice of the Pro.

Ur right I think.

There is no reason for me to go MP being in my situation.

I think ill go Hackintosh unless i choose portability.

Should be able to reach a decision sometime next week after WWDC.

but im still kind of he dark as the differences and advantages of thr Xeons over the i7s

pacman7331 said:
Ur right I think.

There is no reason for me to go MP being in my situation.

I think ill go Hackintosh unless i choose portability.

Should be able to reach a decision sometime next week after WWDC.

Good choice.

Let us know what you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back