Contribute
Register

My Sawtooth Hackintosh Build thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i5-650
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Centris
  5. iMac
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have two old Sawtooth G4s just sitting, the first was my fist G4 so I'm not going to touch that one and the other was one someone gave me which turned out to be DOA. So I thought why not build a Hackintosh out of it. I had previously done a basic i5 build in a conventional case which is now my girlfriends computer after threatening to throw her Dell out of the window it was an easy decision. I started by doing the easy stuff which was stripping the case. THe next steps were not so easy and more of an investment. The biggest investment was in a Dremel and proved to be a huge time saver and lifesaver. The metal Apple used to build the cases on the G4s had to be a high quality steel because I burned through at least 7 of the reinforced cutting wheels on the Dremel cutting the back plain out and the notch out of the tray inside so it would close and give the 24 pin connector on the logic board space to close. As follows are pics of the build thus far. It is pretty much complete except for HDD which I am waiting on, a new 120mm case fan to be mounted in the same spot as the factory original, ATX power extensions for the 24pin and 4 pin connectors and a power switch. I am going without a DVD ROM because most everything is now going away from that and if I absolutely need to I will hook an external to it as I have an old Que! Firewire drive I can use when I add the PCI/USB FireWire card.
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
back plain build.jpg
IMG_0889.jpg
IMG_0890.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg

There will be more pics to come as I finish it off. It's a little rough around the edges as you can see but it's my first build in an Apple case. As I said before I want to keep it as factory looking as possible. If anyone knows of how to wire the front switch to turn it on it would be much appreciated. There are those who have done the reverse with putting a Sawtooth in a PC case and getting that to work but it's totally different from this.

I did find this though which would be a nice addition depending upon how deep it is and how it mounts in the Sawtooth case, called a Multiport that adds card reader and USB to the front of your Mac http://www.geethree.com/multiport/index.html . It is sold out through the vendor but a site called HeadGap store still has them http://stn2.headgap.com/resale/FMPro?-t ... y=g4&-find I'm sure it could be added to a conventional PC style case as well too.

Another concern of mine is cable management. I hate the rats nest that is in most PC cases and for surely be in this one if I do not correctly route cables. If anyone has pics of their case to share and how they did it please share them.

If anyone here has tips or tricks or if you have done a build like this before post up on here or feel free to send me a message.

Attachments

• IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,441
  • IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,388
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,597
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,475
  • back plain build.jpg
    back plain build.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 1,471
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,539
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,597
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,730
  • IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,436
good luck on your retro build. Trial and error, research and luck are always needed :clap:

I have seen that one before as well. For now I'll probably go with the conventional switch because no one has seemed to do this with a Sawtooth. He used a QuickSilver G4 for that one. I think the power switch leads are similar though. From the pics he posted though I'm sure it should be similar. Thanks for the link. Most of what I have seen have never shown clear pictures or explained where each wire went. Thanks for the link, it's much appreciated.

Well folks, she's up and running. :headbang: It's a little rough around the edges and needs a few finishing touches like the custom back plain for the board and some cable management on the inside which might be quite the task considering the case folds and the main power cable is thick and does not allow for much flexibility and binds.

I had an old Western Digital 80GB IDE drive I used as the main install drive which contrary to most of the posts on the forum works with Lion. It's the only drive on the IDE bus being the original drive and drive carrier do not fit in the case. In today's computing world a DVD drive isn't needed or used. Most of the time of I need to use a DVD/CD it's to burn a disc for a Windows box or rip a DVD using Handbrake for iTunes.

I used Unibeast to make a USB installer with my MacPro, followed Tony's steps for installing Lion, ran Multibeast and viola' a working install. After running Multibeast both the VGA and DVI ports on the PNY nVidia 210 work. I haven't tried the HDMI port yet though. More than likely I'll connect to it from my MacPro or MacBook Pro over the network using screen share to use it primarily as a box for ripping DVDs with Handbrake.

It was a fun project to tackle. I learned that planning is essential in a build like this and more research needs to go into picking appropriate components that fit the case. Low profile graphics cards are a must, and a Dremel becomes your best friend. The forums here are a great resource of info on what works and what does not work.

I'll post a few pictures of it up and running and some interior pics once I get it looking better than a rats nest.

Alright, it's taken a little longer than I thought it would to post pics and a follow up for my last build. I've moved and everything was packed away for awhile. I do have a couple of pics of it running though that I will post shortly. I have it set up off to the side of my MacPro and I was also able to get it to use my KVM switch as well to share my Apple Trackpad and Aluminum keyboard. It was a bit quirky at first with the bluetooth USB adapter between the two on the KVM switch but it seems to work fine now.
I'm debating adding Windows 8 to test on it but, I'll have to mull that idea over some though before going through with it.

Thanks for the reply. It was a fun project and the results were worth it. I still have yet to complete the finishing touches that will make it look complete and not half done.

Well, it's at 90% now. I still have the finishing touches to add to it like better cable routing, sanding the rough edges where I ground off the original studs from the metal and getting all the goo off of the back plate where I pulled the sticker off of it and getting a quieter 120mm fan to replace the loud used one I put in as a stop gap to cool it down. If anyone knows of a flat 24pin extension for the PSU cable it would be appreciated. The one that is on it right now does the job but looks kinda ugly.

Inside.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.jpg

photo 1.jpg

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,205
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,152