Contribute
Register

My Picks for Hackintosh Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my plan for a hackintosh is to try and build when with a very low budget. I've found two old PCs on craigslist and ill share the specs with you.

Dell Optiplex 745SFF tower
Intel Pentium D @ 3.40GHz. Dual Core
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 with all updates
160GB hard drive
4 GB ram
ATI AMD Radeon HD 6450 video card with dual monitor splitter included
CD/DVD ROM
8 = USB, VGA, headphone/speaker jacks, Ethernet.
$50
This one I like because of the low cost, and reasonable amount of ram. Only things I'm unsure about is the graphics card being compatible. If there is anything else I don't see that won't be compatible let me know. This one is way under my budget so there would be more room for replacements then the second option

Dell Optiplex 740 Enhanced Business class
AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4450B @ 2.30GHz.
1TB hard drive
4GB Dual Channel ram
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S on board graphics
CD/DVD-RW+
SigmaTel High Definition Audio with integrated speaker
$80
This one is much more expensive, so I wouldn't have as much wiggle room but the extra hard drive storage will be nice. I'm worried about the processor being AMD and Ive heard those aren't as compatible. Which one is my best bet, and what kind of problems will I face with either. If you have any recommendations on what should be replaced or what else I need that would be great. I also want to make sure everything is compatible, and if not easily replaceable.

Last edited:
You'll want to get a Core 2 Duo CPU. Something like the E7200 or higher. They Have SSE 4.1 which Sierra requires.

Here's one with a E7500 Core 2 Duo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-780-Intel-Core-2-Duo-2-93GHz-4GB-RAM-Desktop-Computer-no-HDD/361980053835?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=40130&meid=da5ec2f855fd4ebdabf43761e947315d&pid=100005&rk=6&rkt=6&sd=391791379343

You'll need to buy a HDD, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RT3GHI/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last task is to buy a low profile discreet graphics card that will work with the version of macOS / OS X you will install.
So that Optiplex 780 will be ready to go with the exception of a hard-drive and graphics card? I've also seen some stuff online about wifi-cards, do I need one of those for internet to work or is it optional. And with the HDD can I also get a small SSD for storing the OS?

So that Optiplex 780 will be ready to go with the exception of a hard-drive and graphics card? I've also seen some stuff online about wifi-cards, do I need one of those for internet to work or is it optional. And with the HDD can I also get a small SSD for storing the OS?
You could use wired Ethernet for your internet. Skip wifi altogether if you'd like. Yes, you can put the OS on an SSD. Those are much faster.

You could use wired Ethernet for your internet. Skip wifi altogether if you'd like. Yes, you can put the OS on an SSD. Those are much faster.
Would a USB Wifi adapter be compatible with the hackintosh or will I just have to get a wifi card. I want wifi and ethernet wont work for me. I want the wifi to be as easy as possible so it would be great if this set-up required me to install no extra drivers

Last edited:
Would a USB Wifi adapter be compatible with the hackintosh or will I just have to get a wifi card. I want wifi and ethernet wont work for me
Your choice. PCI-e Wifi cards work the best if they are natively supported by macOS. They do cost more than the wifi dongles that are usb based.

Your choice. PCI-e Wifi cards work the best if they are natively supported by macOS. They do cost more than the wifi dongles that are usb based.
Two more questions:
1. Once I get this plugged will I be good to connect and start browsing dank memes?
2. Do I even need one. I would assume that this PC would have some included wifi card so it could actually access the internet

Two more questions:
1. Once I get this plugged will I be good to connect and start browsing dank memes?
2. Do I even need one. I would assume that this PC would have some included wifi card so it could actually access the internet
The USB versions always need third party drivers you have to install. They don't always keep them up to date with the latest macOS version. None of the old Optiplex machines from 2009-10 ever come with a wifi card. I've never seen one anyway. It's not likely unless the seller has installed one for you.

The USB versions always need third party drivers you have to install. They don't always keep them up to date with the latest macOS version. None of the old Optiplex machines from 2009-10 ever come with a wifi card. I've never seen one anyway. It's not likely unless the seller has installed one for you.
Okay so once I stick a wifi card in then ill be good to connecct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back