Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi to everyone and thanks all for the tons of content.

As other users I want to build new computer and I've clear idea about the components:

Motherboard: Mini-ITX (Gigabyte GA Z170N WIFI)
Socket: Socket LGA 1151
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i7-6700K 4000 MHz Skylake-S
CPU Speed: 4000MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.2V
Memory: 2 x 16GB DDR4 Module (Crucial CT2K16G4DFD8213 32GB DDR4 2133MHz)
Video Card Set 1: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce 210
Storage: 1 x M.2 SSD (Samsung 950Pro NVMe M.2 512GB)
Storage: 1 x SATA 7.2K RPM (Seagate ST8000AS0002 8TB)
PCI Express Card: 1 x WLAN Card (AzureWave AW-CE123H)
Other Device: 1 x USB 2.0 Device (usb TV tuner)
Keyboard: 1 x Standard Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Standard Mouse
Fan: 2 x 140mm

No optical drive, no card reader and a very cheaper video card (probably silent edition)
just to have the possibility to connect more than one monitors or projectors.
(Wait, I really need a video card? May I use the cpu's integrated one in order to use more than one displays?)

Considering that I want to build the computer using the Authentics Lunar Waste Bin,
the very big question is: what about the PSU?

As I found out on this nice page the computer will use about 170 watts.

Computer Utilization: Always On (24/7)
Load Wattage: 170W
Recommended Wattage: 220W
Recommended UPS Rating: 400VA

I will choose a PSU system with minimum 300Watts.
So, in order to be able to fit all the components in the "tube case" and have a good airflow,
I'm starting to consider some different ways to find the better solution for the PSU.

- First of all I get some infos about the standards and commercial solution finding the FLEXatx.
Not bad, easy to replace (if I'll need in the future) and cheap but big and typically with 40mm fan which makes it quite noisy.

- Another way is considering to use the PicoPSU but the most powerful is only 200W and I need more power.
The strengths are the size and It works fanless. The weaknesses are the max power and I must use an external power brick (maybe two but I prefer to spend a little more for stuff like this). I can sort it out using 2 PicoPSU at the same time (in this case I can consider the opportunity to use the first PicoPSU with 200W for the CPU and the second with 160W for the rest of components like modo, ssd, hd and video card with help of pci-e riser) with the help of "add2psu" or a simple cable like this. This is not the easiest solution but It works on paper saving a lot of space inside the case.

- Or I can consider to use an M4-ATX or X7-ATX with the same power brick.
The X7-ATX has 2 different 12V lines, can be use like in the solution with double PicoPSU.

I never use this types of psu and I don't want waste money, so,
in your opinion and with your experience, what's the best solution?
Have I to consider other solutions or important details?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions or infos.

Hi
I am a newbie too and my hackintosh is not yet running so my advice is not an expert's.
I had the same viewpoint and I started planning my build, What do you think of my build?, with a 450W PSU but after a second thought I decided to stay on the safe side and opt for a 550W for very little more money.
It would too bad if in a year or two you decide to add some gimmick in your computer and find out there is not enough power.
Nick

It would too bad if in a year or two you decide to add some gimmick in your computer and find out there is not enough power
Hi Nick, good point.
Thanks.

Hi Nick, good point.
Thanks.
Don't forget that most of the USB gadgets you plug are sucking a little current and that little rivers make big ones. In the future you may add a Thunderbolt card and plug even more stuff.
You chose an overclockable CPU and that's also going to consume more current.

I have a question too: what are you going to use your build for and did you research the GPU issue?
I am doing photography and I can't decide if a GPU would bring a significant improvement and which type. Do you have any insight?
Nick

@fabycae you can certainly use the onboard HD530 to run dual monitors. Skip the graphics card and save a little money there. If you have a 6700K you'll want more than a PicoPsu. Go with a SFX power supply that will fit.

Not sure how good cooling of a 6700K will go in a Lunar cylinder case. Ask those in that thread who have used those whether they think it will work or not.

Another option you have for this kind of build is to use a Streacom mini-itx case made out of AL. I would also use a lower TDP
core I5 CPU. What was the reason you wanted and over-clockable I7 in this kind of mini server build ?

Last edited:
Hi @NicoD and @trs96 , thanks for the comments.

I studied MacPro-replica configurations by other users and I found info about SFX psus and CPU coolers and riser.
I discovered very interesting examples and solutions about support parts for HD and motherboard, I must dust off my PrusaI3!

For the SFX, It is a good solution, exist silent models, fully modular and with 80+ efficiency (like the Corsair SF450)
but I'm not sure that is the best solution for the airflow (for real I don't understand the air flow direction of this psu yet... the fan push the air in the psu or out of psu? If You have informations about It, please let me know).

I consider to buy the i7 6700k (with "k") to use the onboard video card HD530, is It possible with non-k processors too?

I began a quick 3D draft to make clarify every aspects, I'll post some screenshots with notes as soon as possible.

ello-optimized-e582df04.jpg

I'm interested to use a custom CPU cooler, so I requested some infos and prices for a solution realised in copper or alluminium.
I understand that I will use a commercial alluminium profile and work on It in case.
The best and powerful solution in copper is too expensive.

One thing to note is the 6700 is 65W and the 6700K is 91W (or something like that), which could put you over your power / thermal limit. if you dont plan on overclocking (which would be hard with the limited power / thermal issues) then I would just go with the regular 6700.

One thing to note is the 6700 is 65W and the 6700K is 91W (or something like that), which could put you over your power / thermal limit. if you dont plan on overclocking (which would be hard with the limited power / thermal issues) then I would just go with the regular 6700.

Intel's thermal solution spec has gone up to 135 W for the 6700K. That factors in the overclocking that most will do with it.

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 10.58.14 AM.png

I would not use it, too hot and power hungry for minimal gains.

Yep, all clear, You're right!

Can I use 2 displays choosing the i7 6700 (using the integrated HD 530)?
About the psu SFX, does It push the air inside or outside of itself?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back