Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My Build and upgrade to LION OS X - Hackintosh

I recently spent the last few days building a hackintosh. I found most of the information I needed from Tonymacx86 website. So thanks very much Tony. I printed out his installation guides and purchased equipment based on Tony mac recommendations. I did run into a few issues time and again where I decided to experiment on my own or I forgot a USB key or file or something of the sort out of place which ended up nuking my installation. Lots of wasted time restarting from the beginning. I decided to write the path that worked for me below. There may be shorter ways through, or steps that can be skipped or done differently. I don't know, this is my first build and I wanted to be as safe as possible to get it done, with the least amount of heartache. So I hope it's helpful. If anybody can add to it or make any corrections, I'd love to hear how this process can be improved. Otherwise, I hope this helps new people in building their Hackintosh. Good luck!

I chose the following components based on Tony Mac's custom build recommendations and his available DSDT's.

You can find detailed pictures of most of the steps below in Tony Mac's guides to installing Snow Leopard and LION OSX.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... -lion.html

Build:
Motherboard Gigabyte z68x-UD3H-B3 F4
Memory - 2x4GB Corsair Blu Vengence
Video Card - Asus HD 6870 AMD Radeon
Power supply - Antec 650watt
DVD Drive - LG DVD read/writer combo
Hard Disk - Seagate 500Gb Hybrid
Case: Thermaltake level 10
USB Razor - Widow Extreme keyboard and Mamba Mouse
Belkin Bluetooth mini adapter

Phase 1 - Let's get Snow Leopard Installed

Part 1 - Gather required files for Installation of Lion 10.7 / Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Have a 16GB USB key in Fat32 format

Download F4 Bios flash - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... &dl=1#bios

Download Mac 10.6.4 Combo update - http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1048
Download Mac 10.6.5 Combo update - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324
Download Mac 10.6.6 Combo update - http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1349
Download Mac 10.6.7 Combo update - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361
Download Mac 10.6.8 Combo update - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

Require register at TonyMacx86

Download: iboot, MultiBeast and xmove - http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125
Download DSDT for Gigabyte board - http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt.php (Choose F4 file.aml)

Put all of the above files on a 16GB (formatted in FAT32) USB Key

Have available retail version dvd of Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (Best buy, 29.99)
Have available DMG file for LION OS X purchased from App Store (29.99)

*** Mount iboot ISO and burn image to a blank DVD *** This will be your boot disk

Part 2 - Prepare the PC for Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Installation

You will need to flash the bios. Hit DEL key when booting up to enter bios. Insert USB key into PC. Enter Flash Bios utility. Flash bios from file (target the downloaded file off your USB key) and hit enter to process. Do not interrupt this process.

Once complete your PC will reboot - Hit DEL key to enter bios.

1- Load optimized values for board (Yes)
2- Adjust boot priority - First - CD-ROM, Second - Hard disk
3- Adjust Hard disk mode from IDE to ACHI
4- Set HPET to 64bit
5- Remove logo from start up screen

Save changes and then turn off your PC.

Part 3 - Prepare PC hardware for Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Installation

With the power off (and power cable removed) ensure the following.

Unplug ALL cables leaving only only the Keyboard, Mouse and 1 monitor (DVI) plugged in.
Unplug all Sata devices except for 1 DVD Drive and 1 Hard disk (where you will install Snow Leopard). Make sure they are in number 1 and 2 sata ports on Motherboard.
Remove all Ram - Leaving 1x4GB in slot 1

Part 4 - Let the fun begin (Give yourself a good hour and a half to complete the following)

1- Plug in the power cord and turn on the PC.
2- Insert your burned iboot disc into DVD Drive
3- The computer should boot the CD-Rom bringing you to the iboot menu
4- Eject iboot disc, insert Snow Leopard Retail DVD
5- Hit F5 - wait a moment for install disc of Snow Leopard to appear. Highlight disc by pushing to the right with arrow keys and hit enter
6- Snow Leopard Installation begins
7- Once the installation begins you to prompts to install Snow leopard you will need to format the drive first. At the top of the screen you will see a menu. Goto utilities and open Disk Utility.
8- Highlight the hard disk and rename it to Snow Leopard and erase to a Mac format (journaled). Let it complete then close the disc utility
9- Now you will see your drive available to choose to install Snow Leopard. Highlight it and then click customize (bottom left). Deselect all boxes (the top box you will be unable to deselect, which is the installation files)
10- Click okay and then continue with installation. This part will take around 20 minutes. For me the PC was extremely sensitive at this time, do not open CD-rom drives or let monitors goto sleep. I periodically touched the mouse every 5 minutes and that was it until it completed. When it is completed it will reboot the PC.
11- PC reboot, remove Snow Leopard disc and insert iboot disc before computer fully boots. If you don't do this quick enough just change the disc and power off and power back on.
12- iboot loads, you will see two options, iboot or Snow Leopard (your drive that you named and installed OSX too). Choose Snow Leopard
13- Snow Leopard should boot up and run you through first time wizard. You can skip non-mandatory items.
14- Congrats, Snow Leopard is running.

Phase 2 - Prepare Snow Leopard for upgrade to Lion OSX

Part 1 - Update Snow Leopard

1- Plug in USB key with downloaded files. Transfer, all files to desktop (Multibeast folder/files, xmove, DSDT-GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3-F4.aml file, Combo updates 10.6.4/5/6/7/8, Lion dmg file)
2- Eject USB key (do not forget this step)
3- Run Combo update 10.6.4, restart when finishes. iboot CD should still be in the drive, so when PC restarts, it will load and then choose Snow Leopard to boot back into Snow Leopard)
4- Repeat step 3 for each combo update, restarting each time. This part takes the most time.
5- An hour later, you finally have a Snow Leopard 10.6.8 machine with no drivers for your system or internet connectivity. No problem!

Phase 3 - Install Lion OS X

Part 1 - Upgrade to Lion

1- Okay, so you just rebooted in Snow Leopard after 10.6.8 combo update. Now double click the Lion DMG file to mount and then double click the Lion application. Click to install and continue until it tells you to restart. Restart PC
2- iboot still in CD-Rom drive, boot into Snow Leopard.
3- Open Finder, click applications > Utilities > Disk Utility
4- Highlight your hard drive. Click partition, Click + to add a partition. Name it "Installer" without the quote. Set to 8.0GB. Click Apply. It may do what it did to me and partition each to 249GB. Highlight the Installer partition and tell it again 8.00GB and apply until it does it right. Ensure your Snow Leopard partition is taking up the rest of the space. Apply and close utility.
5- Double click LION OSX DMG file to mount.
6- Double click and run xmove. Continue through installation until you have to choose destination. Choose your newly created Installer partition.
7- Once complete shutdown and restart Snow Leopard. We're almost done.
8- iboot is still in DVD drive. Computer boots into iboot menu. You should see the Installer partition now as an option. Choose it and push enter.
9- You have booted into the Lion installation! Before choosing your drive, I chose to open the disk utility and create a new partition for my LION OSX, that way if anything messed up I could boot back into Snow Leopard and not have to restart from the beginning. I Shrunk Snow Leopard Partition to 20GB, left Installer as is, and created a 3rd partition (Mac OS Journaled) called LION OSX that took up the rest of the disk.
10- Choose destination partition LION OSX and continue
11- Installer completes, system will reboot (iboot still in drive) into iboot menu. Now choose LION OSX and hit enter.
12- Hooray, you will boot into LION OSX. Go through prompts and fill out any mandatory information. Once complete you will have LION open and running in front of you.

Phase 4 - Okay but now I need it to recognize my devices and get some internet connectivity

Part 1 - Let's get your PC components visible and working in LION

1- Plug in your USB key. Open finder. Do you see it? If not, leave in the key, and restart LION OSX. Go through iboot and choose LION OSX. Once it is loaded open finder again. You should now see your USB key.
2- Copy MultiBeast folder/files and DSDT-GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3-F4.aml file to Desktop.
3- Brace yourself we are almost there
4- Open Multibeast folder on desktop and run the multibeast application
5- Go through prompts, when at options choose the following:

USER DSDT
System Utilities
-Expand "Drivers and Bootloaders" and expand "Kexts and Enablers". Expand "Audio" and expand "Realtek ALC8xx" and select "ALC8xxHDA". You will then want to expand "Non-DSDT HDAEnabler" and select "ALC889"
-Expand "Disk" and select "IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector"
-Expand "Miscellaneous" and select "USB 3.0 - NEC/Renesas"
-Expand "Network" and select "Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6"
-Expand "Customization" and also "Boot Options". Select "64-bit Apple Boot Screen", '64-bit GraphicEnabler=No" and "Instant Menu"
-Expand "OSx86 Software" and select "Kext Utility B7"
-Finally, select "Continue" and install to your LION OSX partition.

6- Eject iboot CD
7- Shutdown LION OSX
8- Unplug Power cable.
9- Attach devices, speakers, mic, dual monitor, LAN cable.
10- Insert additional RAM (into 1 and 3 slots) and plug Sata cables
11- Plug in Power cord and boot up Hackintosh
12- You will boot into Chimera (looks just like iboot menu). Choose Lion OSX and hit enter. Lion OSX will boot up.
13- Open System Preference. Click Network Ethernet will have changes. Close and save. Open Safari and test internet.
14- Plug in Belkin mini bluetooth adapter. Open system preference > network. You can now scan and add devices such as a mac trackpad.

Congratulations. You are done. You can click the apple top left and goto about this Mac and view the properties for your Hackintosh. Correction: You WILL be able to login to Apple store.

Visit at http://www.Latestsolutions.ca

You're absolutely right. It didn't work during my previous build. But that one had driver issues. I tried after seeing your post and it does work fine now. Thanks for pointing that out!

Awesome guide! I hope I'll test it out soon, gonna build a PC, hopefully within the next month, using this motherboard. This is great!

Have you tried installing only the 10.6.8 update after a fresh install of 10.6.3? It is COMBO update, so basically, you should get every changes made in previous updates in this 10.6.8. Or am I wrong?

Hey malimilan,

It's worth a try. I ran into freezing issues so often at the beginning when I was installing combo 10.6.8. So I stopped doing it right away and did each update, then I got everything to work.

Please let me know if it works for you. Good luck!

FalloW said:
Hey malimilan,

It's worth a try. I ran into freezing issues so often at the beginning when I was installing combo 10.6.8. So I stopped doing it right away and did each update, then I got everything to work.

Please let me know if it works for you. Good luck!
You're right. If you discover problems it's ever worth a try to install all former Combo's. But it isn't necessary under normal circumstances

OK. Good to know.
When I get the parts I will report for sure!
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back