CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, I've been trying to build the recomended customac pro for two months now. There's no way to buy a graphics card, since its always out of stock. There's no way to find a compatible 1070 on pccomponentes.com , amazon.es or local retailer

I've been told that it's because of cryprocurrency "mining".

Any advice?

Well, I've been trying to build the recomended customac pro for two months now. There's no way to buy a graphics card, since its always out of stock. There's no way to find a compatible 1070 on pccomponentes.com , amazon.es or local retailer

I've been told that it's because of cryprocurrency "mining".

Any advice?
Get this while it's still in stock at a reasonable price:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202278

Same thing is selling on eBay for $599.00.

Works out of box.

You'll need to buy a lower cost Nvidia card for now and then upgrade it later when prices and availability are better.

Yep. I set up an alert,bought one as soon as I got the alert they were back in stock, and within minutes they were out of stock again.

It's the bitcoin mining craze. There are now many very large "mining farms" with hundreds of GPUs each. We have several in the Québec province of Canada because we have the lowest electricity prices in North America. Mining is very energy intensive and is not profitable for individuals on a single computer.

Unless the GPU manufacturers find a way to increase production dramatically, we will be stuck with this problem until the bitcoin bubble bursts--which it will, sooner or later. In the meantime, search regularly and often and where possible sign up for a notify me when in stock alert.

"Bitcoin hit a high of just under $20,000 in mid-December 2017 after increasing about 20x since the beginning of 2017. It then went on a fairly steady decline to a low around $6,000 on February 6 (...).

"(...) Starting on Wednesday it started to climb above $9,000 and on Friday crossed $10,000. Arguments can be made that Bitcoin could fall to $1,000 or rise to $100,000, but at least for now Bitcoin appears to have steadied itself."
--Forbes https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/02/17/bitcoin-may-have-found-a-bottom/#28dfa4768f96)

Also, the US government announced recently that cryptocurreny regulations will be coming "soon".

You'll need to buy a lower cost Nvidia card for now and then upgrade it later when prices and availability are better.

A FirePro W7000 can be had for about $170 used of Amazon. Nice single slot card with 4 DP outputs. A little weak for gaming but Excellent for everything else. Roughly equivalent to a GTX1050 in Starcraft II. Since it only takes up a single slot, it can be left in the Hackintosh when you get your GTX1080 assuming you have enough slots.

It's the bitcoin mining craze. There are now many very large "mining farms" with hundreds of GPUs each. We have several in the Québec province of Canada because we have the lowest electricity prices in North America. Mining is very energy intensive and is not profitable for individuals on a single computer.

Unless the GPU manufacturers find a way to increase production dramatically, we will be stuck with this problem until the bitcoin bubble bursts--which it will, sooner or later. In the meantime, search regularly and often and where possible sign up for a notify me when in stock alert.

"Bitcoin hit a high of just under $20,000 in mid-December 2017 after increasing about 20x since the beginning of 2017. It then went on a fairly steady decline to a low around $6,000 on February 6 (...).

"(...) Starting on Wednesday it started to climb above $9,000 and on Friday crossed $10,000. Arguments can be made that Bitcoin could fall to $1,000 or rise to $100,000, but at least for now Bitcoin appears to have steadied itself."
--Forbes https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/02/17/bitcoin-may-have-found-a-bottom/#28dfa4768f96)

Also, the US government announced recently that cryptocurreny regulations will be coming "soon".

It will crash and the run on cards will be over. People are making "money" out of hot air and electricity. Confidence is the only thing that keeps bitcoin afloat. The moment people realize there is nothing to it or worse, it can be hacked, it will fall like a rock. At least with DnetC and folding@home people were doing something productive with their "mining"

Almost forgot, the fastest way to kill anything is to let the government regulate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back