Contribute
Register

My Hackintosh build

Status
Not open for further replies.
pcmantinker said:
I helped a friend from school install Windows 7 on his new computer a few months ago. I know that he has a Gigabyte motherboard, but I don't remember which model. It took forever for the Windows installer to load and install but after that, his computer ran fine. I suppose that there is an issue with the Windows 7 installer and some Gigabyte motherboards. It also may depend on system configuration.

Also, I have high scale Blu-Ray combo drive with a fast DVD read speed. That may have helped with improving the installation speed.

Oh, that's true. I may try putting my DVD onto a USB and seeing what happens. Hopefully it speeds things up. Thanks for the info! The Windows 7 Installer is indeed faster on my non-Gigabyte laptop.

jimx86 said:
pcmantinker said:
I helped a friend from school install Windows 7 on his new computer a few months ago. I know that he has a Gigabyte motherboard, but I don't remember which model. It took forever for the Windows installer to load and install but after that, his computer ran fine. I suppose that there is an issue with the Windows 7 installer and some Gigabyte motherboards. It also may depend on system configuration.

Also, I have high scale Blu-Ray combo drive with a fast DVD read speed. That may have helped with improving the installation speed.

Oh, that's true. I may try putting my DVD onto a USB and seeing what happens. Hopefully it speeds things up. Thanks for the info! The Windows 7 Installer is indeed faster on my non-Gigabyte laptop.

For a good mother board maker, Gigabyte overlooked that, I find it rather impressive.

Tom

I was able to fix the problem with the power button and reset button. I just removed the front panel and made sure that the buttons had a good connection to the wires and also that they were connected properly to the motherboard. I'm installing Mac as we speak! I'll post about how everything went when it is finished.

pcmantinker said:
I was able to fix the problem with the power button and reset button. I just removed the front panel and made sure that the buttons had a good connection to the wires and also that they were connected properly to the motherboard. I'm installing Mac as we speak! I'll post about how everything went when it is finished.

Looking forward!

Tom

tinkerC said:
Lnx2Mac said:
jimx86 said:
I don't know about the performance benefits of the Spinpoint, but a lot of people recommend it.
Great performance/noise ratio...

Sounds like a "green drive", performs like a "real" one ;)

You should know that this post got me to decide on the Spinpoint F3. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback ! :thumbup:
I'm sure you'll also appreciate this HDD.

Lnx2Mac

tinkerC said:
Lnx2Mac said:
See my build here:
I see you repainted that room! Nice color!
:D Thanks, but, no... These two pics were taken the same day...
It just shows the sloppy job I did on 'gimp', color balancing to reduce the effects of the flash in the open case ;)

BTW, the room is white with a drop of creamy-gray...

WOW, I think this thread can go down in history as the most thread-jacked and OT-laden one... ;)
Sorry about that,
Lnx2Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
Lnx2Mac said:
tinkerC said:
Lnx2Mac said:
See my build here:
I see you repainted that room! Nice color!
:D Thanks, but, no... These two pics were taken the same day...
It just shows the sloppy job I did on 'gimp', color balancing to reduce the effects of the flash in the open case ;)

BTW, the room is white with a drop of creamy-gray...

WOW, I think this thread can go down in history as the most thread-jacked and OT-laden one... ;)
Sorry about that,
Lnx2Mac

I had not noticed the open picture. I just noticed that the reflection in the side of the case was no longer pink.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Lnx2Mac said:
Sorry about that,
Lnx2Mac
lol Yeah, it's not a hiuge deal. Most of the stuff talked about in this thread is related to the topic of the thread.

On a side note, I successfully installed Snow Leopard 10.6.4 last night and my machine is running beautifully. :) I got everything working including network, sound, and my GTX 470 (using the unofficial driver).

For the network driver, I downloaded the PCI Express driver from Realtek's website for Mac and installed. It works very nicely. For sound, I just rolled back to the 10.6.2 AppleHDA from Multibeast 2.0 and used DSDT to get it working. For my graphics card, it was a little more tricky. I had to use my 9500 GT to install Snow Leo and then install the modified bootloader and driver for Fermi before putting in my Fermi. After that, I got full QE/CI and both DVI ports and my HDMI port can display video. If I install VoodooHDA, I can get sound coming out of the HDMI on my TV, but it' not really important. Also, my PC speakers sound much better than my TV speakers.

Later I'll see about writing a guide for my motherboard and getting Snow Leopard 10.6 installed using iBoot and Multibeast DSDT. It took me a while to get the correct BIOS settings, but I did manage to eventually make the BIOS cooperate with loading both Mac and Windows.

pcmantinker said:
Lnx2Mac said:
Sorry about that,
Lnx2Mac
lol Yeah, it's not a hiuge deal. Most of the stuff talked about in this thread is related to the topic of the thread.

On a side note, I successfully installed Snow Leopard 10.6.4 last night and my machine is running beautifully. :) I got everything working including network, sound, and my GTX 470 (using the unofficial driver).

For the network driver, I downloaded the PCI Express driver from Realtek's website for Mac and installed. It works very nicely. For sound, I just rolled back to the 10.6.2 AppleHDA from Multibeast 2.0 and used DSDT to get it working. For my graphics card, it was a little more tricky. I had to use my 9500 GT to install Snow Leo and then install the modified bootloader and driver for Fermi before putting in my Fermi. After that, I got full QE/CI and both DVI ports and my HDMI port can display video. If I install VoodooHDA, I can get sound coming out of the HDMI on my TV, but it' not really important. Also, my PC speakers sound much better than my TV speakers.

Later I'll see about writing a guide for my motherboard and getting Snow Leopard 10.6 installed using iBoot and Multibeast DSDT. It took me a while to get the correct BIOS settings, but I did manage to eventually make the BIOS cooperate with loading both Mac and Windows.

Cool! Even if you can submit your DSDT to the DataBase, it would be nice.

Have fun with your new (high quality) rig!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back