Contribute
Register

My Hack with Dell UltraHD (4K) Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Samsung 4k display and it works at 60hz on a Gigabyte X79, 770 GTX using mini Display Port.

I have a Samsung 4k display and it works at 60hz on a Gigabyte X79, 770 GTX using mini Display Port.

That would be the Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor wouldn't it?

I was thinking about buying one myself either for me or my Wife. Although I was also interested in the Lenovo and ASUS 28" 4K models. The only thing I don't like about the Samsung is the stand (minor aesthetics issue) and the lack of a VESA mount (functionality issue). Well that and I thought the MSRP for the Samsung was ~$699.99 whereas Newegg and Amazon have the U28D590D for about ~$809 and as low as ~$776 USD respectively. Newegg actually dropped their price from $859.99 to ~$809 recently so it's fairly clear retailers are inflating the price fairly aggressively if the MSRP is $699.99.

I'm trying to wait for the price to be a little more in line with what it should be but I guess I could pay a bit more if it doesn't drop significantly soon. The Lenovo should be out soon though and that might be a bit more worthy of its MSRP of ~$799. Assuming it doesn't get inflated by retailers as well,...

Had the dell 28" 4K and sent it back as it did not work with 10.9.3 at least when i had it. Just got the samsung UD590 28" - it works perfectly and looks great!!!! Very very happy with it so far. Currently have the 650ti and it pushes 30Hz but looks and feels great!

If I had 760 card with DP it would push 60Hz.

To be honest it looks and feels so good Im not sure I will even upgrade to 760 yet.

When I had Seiki 39" and dell 28" 4k displays the 30Hz output was very noticeable (screen tears, and mouse was slow). For some reason this Samsung UD590 at 30Hz looks fantastic (like a larger MBP retina display). So far I have not seen any screen tearing, or slow mouse issues. Really liking the Samsung!

Previous issues with the Seiki and Dell could have been a result of older drivers in previous 10.9.3 versions I had at that time. Since then 10.9.3 has been updated several times, and Im currently running the 10.9.3 (13D55).

It is currently 30Hz cause I don't have a GTX760 card yet. Would highly recommend this over the dell28" 4K !!

Had the dell 28" 4K and sent it back as it did not work with 10.9.3 at least when i had it. Just got the samsung UD590 28" - it works perfectly and looks great!!!! Very very happy with it so far. Currently have the 650ti and it pushes 30Hz but looks and feels great!

If I had 760 card with DP it would push 60Hz.

To be honest it looks and feels so good Im not sure I will even upgrade to 760 yet.

When I had Seiki 39" and dell 28" 4k displays the 30Hz output was very noticeable (screen tears, and mouse was slow). For some reason this Samsung UD590 at 30Hz looks fantastic (like a larger MBP retina display). So far I have not seen any screen tearing, or slow mouse issues. Really liking the Samsung!

Previous issues with the Seiki and Dell could have been a result of older drivers in previous 10.9.3 versions I had at that time. Since then 10.9.3 has been updated several times, and Im currently running the 10.9.3 (13D55).

It is currently 30Hz cause I don't have a GTX760 card yet. Would highly recommend this over the dell28" 4K !!

I have the Samsung U28D590D 28" 4K monitor as well (American version) and I concur with basically everything you just said. I also previously owned a Seiki SE39UY04 39" UHDTV for a short period of time so I have a comparison reference. While the Samsung U28D590D is capable of 60Hz via DisplayPort 1.2 (which I have tested in Windows 8.1 Update 1) it defaulted to only 2560x1440 on my system running OS X 10.9. I intend to upgrade to 10.9.2 soon (although I am running into some difficulty in this respect) as well as 10.9.3 when its released. Via HDMI on my GTX 670 the Samsung U28D590D defaulted to the full 3840x2160 resolution at 30Hz and looks phenomenally good. With the Seiki, 30Hz had conspicuous mouse trails and choppy movement that broke the fluidity of basic usage. This wasn't as bad as it sounds but the point I was trying to make is that 30Hz on the Seiki was noticeable whereas 30Hz on the Samsung U28D590D isn't detectable to my eye nor are any of the telltale signs (lag) one would associate with 30Hz (for typical desktop use).

Color, brightness, contrast and black levels on the Samsun U28D590D are quite good. IMO the the Seiki didn't quite do as well in all areas save for perhaps brightness. The one real advantage the Seiki had was its size though. At 39" the native resolution of 3840x2160 was easily manageable with respect to onscreen elements (i.e. legibility / text). With smaller screens like 24" or 28" things get very small and can be a bit challenging without something like HiDPI or some other way to compensate.

Having said that, such monitors look "incredible" at 3840x2160 native resolution and native resolution with HiDPI is a feast for the eyes.

Yes its a TN panel but its unlike any TN panel I have ever seen and as such is a very, very, very good quality TN panel. Well worth the money IMO.

The gripes I have with the Samsung U28D590D are fairly minor. The stand is basic and of relatively poor quality. The stand seems to be designed for aesthetics and little else but the aesthetes don't really agree with me personally. There is no VESA mount support. Also there seems to be a slight screen alignment offset with the bezel. So for example, on my unit the OS X menu bar almost touches the bezel on the upper righthand corner but drops off a bit at the far upper lefthand corner.

I was watching a video review of the Samsung U28D590D on youtube and I believe I spotted the same oddity in their review sample when they showed a closeup of the screen (using OS X). Therefore I'm starting to think this is a minor systematic issue with their manufacturing of the product. Its not a big deal IMO but its something to be aware off as a possibility when considering this monitor.

Also, for what its worth, I don't think this monitor is split up into two 1920x2160 logical screens typical of MST 4K implementations.

I have the Samsung U28D590D 28" 4K monitor as well (American version) and I concur with basically everything you just said. I also previously owned a Seiki SE39UY04 39" UHDTV for a short period of time so I have a comparison reference. While the Samsung U28D590D is capable of 60Hz via DisplayPort 1.2 (which I have tested in Windows 8.1 Update 1) it defaulted to only 2560x1440 on my system running OS X 10.9. I intend to upgrade to 10.9.2 soon (although I am running into some difficulty in this respect) as well as 10.9.3 when its released. Via HDMI on my GTX 670 the Samsung U28D590D defaulted to the full 3840x2160 resolution at 30Hz and looks phenomenally good. With the Seiki, 30Hz had conspicuous mouse trails and choppy movement that broke the fluidity of basic usage. This wasn't as bad as it sounds but the point I was trying to make is that 30Hz on the Seiki was noticeable whereas 30Hz on the Samsung U28D590D isn't detectable to my eye nor are any of the telltale signs (lag) one would associate with 30Hz (for typical desktop use).

Color, brightness, contrast and black levels on the Samsun U28D590D are quite good. IMO the the Seiki didn't quite do as well in all areas save for perhaps brightness. The one real advantage the Seiki had was its size though. At 39" the native resolution of 3840x2160 was easily manageable with respect to onscreen elements (i.e. legibility / text). With smaller screens like 24" or 28" things get very small and can be a bit challenging without something like HiDPI or some other way to compensate.

Having said that, such monitors look "incredible" at 3840x2160 native resolution and native resolution with HiDPI is a feast for the eyes.

Yes its a TN panel but its unlike any TN panel I have ever seen and as such is a very, very, very good quality TN panel. Well worth the money IMO.

The gripes I have with the Samsung U28D590D are fairly minor. The stand is basic and of relatively poor quality. The stand seems to be designed for aesthetics and little else but the aesthetes don't really agree with me personally. There is no VESA mount support. Also there seems to be a slight screen alignment offset with the bezel. So for example, on my unit the OS X menu bar almost touches the bezel on the upper righthand corner but drops off a bit at the far upper lefthand corner.

I was watching a video review of the Samsung U28D590D on youtube and I believe I spotted the same oddity in their review sample when they showed a closeup of the screen (using OS X). Therefore I'm starting to think this is a minor systematic issue with their manufacturing of the product. Its not a big deal IMO but its something to be aware off as a possibility when considering this monitor.

Also, for what its worth, I don't think this monitor is split up into two 1920x2160 logical screens typical of MST 4K implementations.

OK, so I updated from OS X 10.9 to 10.9.2 then switched the cable from HDMI to DisplayPort (from the GTX 670 to the monitor) and now the Samsung U28D590D 4K display can do 3840x2160 at 60Hz. It just worked as soon as I turned it on.

Recall before that with OS X 10.9 via DisplayPort it would only go as high as 2560x1440 at 60Hz and 4K 3840x2160 wasn't even an option at any refresh rate.

So very pleased overall with the entire setup,..... ;)

I just got the Samsung ud590 as well! Loving the monitor! I do agree with reviews about the weak stand but otherwise it's great!

How did you guys get yours to work with your setup?

Currently I can only get mine to work with Windows 8.1 at 3840x2160 and I have to hotplug it in after boot to work. When I start my machine with the monitor connected via displayport I get a message saying

"Memory allocation error! Addr: 0xdeadbeef, Size: 0x0, File: gui.c, Line:505

This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!"

Has anyone else experienced this? Would love to be able to boot with the monitor connected.

Attachments

• 2014-05-12 19.31.22.jpg
    2014-05-12 19.31.22.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 344
Anyone running the UP2414Q @4K 60hz? Does the ATI 280X work?

I have not been able to make it work with the Nvidia GTX 760.

Cheers!

I have the exact same setup and cannot get it to work. Display port does not work only HDMI out of the gtx 760 so i get retina resolution but only @30hz. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back