Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I built Stork's My Hero II with ROG Maximus Z370, i7 8700 and RX580. It is running High Sierra 10.13.5 and worked fine for a while. Now I can only reach the login screen and when I select my user name and put in the password I briefly see my desktop for 2 seconds and then it crashes and starts a reboot. However it will work fine in Safe Mode. How do I trouble shoot this? There must be a problem with something that runs in Normal mode but not is Safe Mode. What to try?

If you can boot in safe mode, check for kexts and startup items that can be causing problems.

I'm a newbie at this so please indulge me. How do I check for startup items that can be causing problems? In safe mode I can't see what the startup items are (Can I?). I know Spotify is one and I started it in Safe Mode and it didn't cause problems. Of course there is no sound in Safe mode. How can I see if that is the problem?

How do I check for kexts that might be causing problems?

I'm a newbie at this so please indulge me. How do I check for startup items that can be causing problems? In safe mode I can't see what the startup items are (Can I?). I know Spotify is one and I started it in Safe Mode and it didn't cause problems. Of course there is no sound in Safe mode. How can I see if that is the problem?

How do I check for kexts that might be causing problems?

Please see reply by Barney-15E:

Also, check /Library/Extensions/ for kexts that may be causing you problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back