Contribute
Register

My Hac Pro G5 case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judah said:
Haha bones, looking awesome. Just noticed that my build is almost exactly the same as yours but I have the XFX 5770 and my cooler is the Rocketfish version of the Hyper :)

Back looks nice, great mod so far! We have matching G5's!

Thanks, just about done. I'm going to add a second HDD caddy to it. I use W7 in VMware which has been good for what I need it for. I'm going to install it on one of the new HDD's as well so I can boot to it as well. I would love to find a bad G5 powersupply and build mine into it. There's one on ebay now but seller wants $50 for it so I'll wait.

Hey! No finished product pics yet!?!? ;)

How is it all going with your build, saw your comment on zammykoo's thread so I figure I would see how yours is going.

It's coming along. I added the third HDD for windows 7. I got that installed. I got two things left to do software wise to finish.

1. is making the magic mouse and apple bluetooth keyboard work in windows 7

2. Find a nice boot theme to compliment my machine. And setup the boot loader so it stops when I turn the computer on and than select the OS you want.

One cool thing I found out yesterday that I didn't know was that VMware fusion detected my Windows 7 HDD and is calling it Boot Camp. I'm able to boot directly into my W7 install using vmware fusion now. What that means for me is if I don't need full processor power I just boot into my W7 with vmware. Than if I want just W7 than reboot to the boot loader and boot W7.

Overall I'm happy with the progress. I rearranged my fans too which helped drop the cpu temps by 10-12*C. Now I'm pulling cool air from the back and pushing hot air out the front. So 2 92mm air intake.. 1 80mm pushing through HDD caddy, than 1 80mm pulling out HDD caddy to the front mesh, than powersupply fan pointed up and a 120mm fan mounted on powersupply pushing air out the front. Next time I'm at microcenter I might pick up one more 120mm fan and have two in the front and take the little 80mm out.

Temps are 28-32 idle (depending on room temp) and max 100% load is 75-77*C, I'm still running 4GHZ (200/20) and was able to get my CPU voltage down to 1.26 ish which helped lower temps too..

bones123 said:
It's coming along. I added the third HDD for windows 7. I got that installed. I got two things left to do software wise to finish.

1. is making the magic mouse and apple bluetooth keyboard work in windows 7

2. Find a nice boot theme to compliment my machine. And setup the boot loader so it stops when I turn the computer on and than select the OS you want.

1. i built a dual boot win7/mac hack with the magic mouse, but the wired kb.
what i found was that the mouse works either in mac, or win, not both at the same time.
you have to pair the mouse each time you switch between the os'.

another thing you might find is that you will have no control of the bluetooth keyboard within chameleon, so need a wired kb plugged in to choose your os.

dunno if there are any solutions to those problems.

2. i use a bootcamp theme, with a modified bios bootscreen to make it look as close to a real mac as possible. the voodooprojects and insanelymac forums have a good selection of bootthemes.

to make the os selection come up straight away when the pc is turned on, you just add 'instant menu=yes' to the boot.plist

I figured as much with the bluetooth key board and boot options. I was going to keep with my wired keyboard and I got a wired logitech gaming mouse so no worries there.

I do use the instant menu option and always have. I like it to just say on that screen so I have a choice incase I get up for a sec or something.

I just got done couple weeks ago updating to i5-3570k and figured I should fix the back of my case since there are so many awesome looking G5's here I show clean mine up a little bit :)

I added wifi and 5 HDD rack too. The HDD rack is just velcro'd with some 3M velcro so easy installation and easy access if need be. I run 3 750GB HDDs and one SSD, a samsung 830 256 GB SSD for my Main Drive, 1 HDD for Virtual machines and Carbon Copy clone of the boot drive, 1 media drive for movies, and internal time machine drive. Other hardware is sapphire 5770 and rosewill 750w hive PS.

Attachments

• DSC_5226.jpg
    DSC_5226.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC_5227.JPG
    DSC_5227.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_5228.JPG
    DSC_5228.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_5229.JPG
    DSC_5229.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 259
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 6.54.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 6.54.49 PM.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 198
bones123 I enjoyed seeing your progress through time and the evolved system. Nice work.

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back