Contribute
Register

My First Video Editing Hackintosh Build. (hardware and general questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have an Ethernet board. You have an RJ45 Ethernet port on the rear of the mobo. The Gigabyte GA-Z170N Wi-Fi has two Intel Ethernet ports on the back. Use the RJ45 connector (LAN1) next to the audio outputs; the one over the USB-C connector is LAN2.

thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it!

Maybe I should look for another case! and I definetly going to install El Capitan before Sierra

Since I´m a beginner in this hole computer build thing I´m not sure what a Ethernet card is! ;D is it the same thing as wifi card?

About the harddrive. I already have an extrenal HHD so that´s not a problem. Maybe I will install a HHD in the computer later.

Last thing about the PSU. Exactly what advantages is it with dual GPUs? I don´t think I will buy one more GPU. So what specific PSU du you recomend? Here on the forums buyers guide they only recomend 3 different.

A WiFi card is running Ethernet over wireless. Wireless is nice if you are in a cafe and want to check your email. A wireless network in comparison to a wired network is slow, has high latency and will take hours to transfer large video files. If you are doing any real video work, whilst you can use WiFi, it could take hours or even days to transfer multiple GB's of data.

If your external HD is in a USB 3.0 or, god forbid, a USB 2.0 enclosure then you will have slow (or very, very, very slow) data transfer in comparison to running your HD through the internal SATA ports. Video files take up masses of disk, they need high speed disk interfaces, USB 2.0 is junk for this and I would not recommend USB 3.0 either unless you know that the USB 3.0 chip interface actually works at a decent speed and even then I would never do it for real work, just for backups. If in doubt shove the HD in your main case and connect it directly to your motherboard. This is why getting a small case is a bad idea, you want to connect your disks via SATA as anything else is slow. Forget the claimed USB 3.0 speeds, video and 4K video requires high speed disk access which means SATA.

Dual GPU's allow you to render FCP X videos significantly faster than a single GPU. If time is money, then it can be cost effective to have dual GPU's. YMMV.

I cannot recommend any PSU as each country has its own PSU brands. The fact that tonymac has only three PSU's on its list is a mystery to me as there are hundreds of decent branded PSU's out there. I use a 1200W EVGA modular which is nice but expensive. Look around in your country and check reviews. Go modular and get at least a 650W and a 750W would be nicer.

Based on your questions, you really need to start reading about what you are trying to do and get up to speed.

Rob

I read a little bit about the "Gigabyte GA-Z170N Wi-Fi";s Intel Ethernet port and I think that speed is enough to serve my needs.

Is it hard to install things like a better GPU and HDD later? like after a year or so?

About reading: I try to read and watch videos as much as possible but since I don´t live in an English speaking country it take some time to read ;D but I will do my best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back