Contribute
Register

My First Hackintosh — [WIP] The Build: HP ZBook 17 G6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have Zbook 17 G6. Can you please share your EFI/CLOVER with us?

I posted my OpenCore EFI on this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/hp-zbook-g5-17.266012/page-3#post-2158182

It is for a Zbook G5 17 using UMA graphics mode, but should in theory work on a G6, would be nice to have someone test it.
I also tested using a WX-4170 GPU with good results, but I have since given up and the P5200 is back in my laptop even if I can't use it on OSX.

To use the EFI files directly you need to make a folder called BOOT and move the BOOTx64.efi file there, and place both BOOT and OC folders on your EFI partition.
I placed BOOTx64.efi inside the OC folder to have refind be the main bootloader that chains to OC for OSX, and completely bypasses OC for Windows/Linux, to avoid the SSDT patching OC does.

You may be able to use AppleALC for audio just change the ID to your codec. In my G5 it is the conexant and it is too buggy, so I used Voodoo.
Other than that almost everything works.

Last edited:
Guys, remember to use Voltageshift to undervolt the CPU and get the best performance and battery life on these machines!

So I finally got around to working on this again, LOL. I've taken the AMD Radeon Pro WX 4170 mobile GPU out and left the Nvidia Quadro T1000 card my laptop came with in for now; I tested it along with the RAM and drive it also came with, and I know this configuration successfully boots into Windows. (Again, I still regret being too enthusiastic about getting right to work on turning my machine into a Hackintosh and not doing the sensible thing and testing to make sure this was the case before messing with anything to begin with; ah, well, hindsight's 20:20…) I took a picture of the WX 4170 to compare against that MacRumors thread you linked earlier, hugodic, but haven't done that yet; I'll reply again when I have.

O-kay: after a much-longer-than-intended hiatus, here's what my AMD Radeon Pro WX 4170 mobile graphics card looks like:

AMD Radeon Pro WX 4170 mobile Grpahics Card.jpeg

That matches up with this post in the MacRumors thread you linked before, theroadw. (I can't seem to find that other post there which I remember as having a bunch of comparison pictures, though; perhaps I'm not looking hard enough at the moment.) Anyway, as can be seen above, my card has its vBIOS chip and accompanying network of resistors; the former is empty, presumably. Now I just have to figure out how I'd flash the ROM onto the card… (Yes, I saw that you had some newer posts in your thread about having found one.) (Correction: See theroadw's post below.)

Last edited:
O-kay: after a much-longer-than-intended hiatus, here's what my AMD Radeon Pro WX 4170 mobile graphics card looks like:

That matches up with this post in the MacRumors thread you linked before, theroadw. (I can't seem to find that other post there which I remember as having a bunch of comparison pictures, though; perhaps I'm not looking hard enough at the moment.) Anyway, as can be seen above, my card has its vBIOS chip and accompanying network of resistors; the former is empty, presumably. Now I just have to figure out how I'd flash the ROM onto the card… (Yes, I saw that you had some newer posts in your thread about having found one.)
Sorry to say this, but that is the version without the EEPROM chip.

This is mine:
20201104_122619.jpg

You should still try using the Radeon-4170-ROM-SSDT to see if it loads the ROM for OSX.
I still can't make it work in or past Catalina, but it works wonderfully in Mojave, and maybe it will work for you.

The attached SSDT is not a proper Deinit, bus it just injects the ROM to load the driver.
Untested in Mojave as I can't erase my ROM, and it doesn't work in Catalina, but it populates the GFX0 ATI,Rom field in IOREG, so maybe it will load the drivers.
If you need to install Mojave to test, I recommend you use CLOVER, as I had issues installing from OpenCore, but after the OS is installed, OpenCore works best.

Attachments

• Radeon-4170-ROM-SSDT.aml.zip
    44.4 KB · Views: 70
Oof. Guess I need to pay more attention to what I'm looking at. (Facepalms. Apparently, I was hallucinating there being a chip in that position… I should've zoomed in on my picture to compensate for my low vision and searched harder for those other pictures to compare with.) Thanks for setting me straight on that. I can order another card, though I'd hope at this point that AMD would have a better mobile workstation-class GPU out…

Try the SSDT first, it should work.

Also about other MXM cards, these Zbooks (past G4) are extremely picky about what works and what doesn't and their Bios are getting more and more cryptic. On my version it's just a bunch of numbers, no more device names, no more decriptors, nothing.
So there may be a lot of whitelisting going on.

Also about other MXM cards, these Zbooks (past G4) are extremely picky about what works and what doesn't and their Bios are getting more and more cryptic. On my version it's just a bunch of numbers, no more device names, no more decriptors, nothing.
So there may be a lot of whitelisting going on.
I meant another 4170, this time with an EEPROM chip. (Unless, again, something better's come out.)
Try the SSDT first, it should work.
Again, having a configuration with the matte 4K 'DreamColor' display like I do requires a working discrete GPU even just for your machine to pass POST, so I doubt that will work.

I meant another 4170, this time with an EEPROM chip. (Unless, again, something better's come out.)

Again, having a configuration with the matte 4K 'DreamColor' display like I do requires a working discrete GPU even just for your machine to pass POST, so I doubt that will work.
Ohh I thought your machine was posting with the WX card, but now I see it's not in the available grafic card configurations offered by hp. so your bios will not have a GOP driver/ROM and that card will never post as it doesn't have a ROM.

My G5 version has the ROM's cooked into the Bios, so even that ROMless card would post and work with Windows/Linux and my SSDT would probably allow it to work with OSX.

Have you seen this?

I was tempted to get one and sell my 4170...

Are Radeon Pro WX 4170 and 7100 mobile cards sourced from Dell laptops more likely to still have their EEPROM chips and associated resistor networks than ones sourced from HP laptops?

On another note, coming back to this, I don't see any new listings for 4170s with EEPROM chips on eBay or anywhere else online at the moment, so that's a bummer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back