Contribute
Register

My First Hackintosh — [WIP] The Build: HP ZBook 17 G6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also need to note that, yes, the ZBook 17 G5 '[h]eat sink for use in models with discrete graphics F16M memory' works just fine in the ZBook 17 G6: the part is, as suspected, nearly identical (except for a few differences in thermal padding, of course,) to the one that came with my machine, even despite the difference in card brand/make and model.

There are a few details I can update on my existing OP without adding the full build instructions I haven't finished compiling to it yet, so I'm going to do that. I'll post again andedit this post to let everyone know when that's done. (Edit: OP updated.) Also, I went ahead and started putting my installer drive together since that doesn't depend on me having finished replacing all of the parts I can.

Last edited:
As per the latest update to my OP, I've now moved its contents to a GitLab repository. (It was getting far too unwieldy to keep there for my tastes.) Beyond what I've recorded in the (now separate) change log, the result is currently still an almost verbatim copy-and-paste of what I had before as-is, modulo some minor formatting differences, save for one small known issue.

RandomDSdevel, any updates on your build? I have already checked your GitLab repository, do you have a working machine today? I am planning to buy a Zbook 17 G6 too, so I would like to know how is the performance and installation process!

Regarding WLAN, I think you can use this monster adapter in the m.2 ssd socket near the WWAN and use its antennas https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/post-1783539 (I assembled this experiment for my Desktop build and it worked)

Cheers!

Thanks for the pointer, KevinAgnes! With regards to progress, I've hit a snag with the new graphics card. I installed it, but now my machine won't boot. Strangely enough, especially since the G5 used the exact same card I bought, I don't see any AMD drivers for the G6 on HP's web site. (I may well contact HP to ask about this and what plans they might have to resolve the lack thereof.) I was looking in the Maintenance and Service Guide, too, and saw:
The HP ZBook 17 G6 Maintenance and Service Guide said:
IMPORTANT: Failure to update the computer to the latest BIOS prior to installing new [parts] may result in various system problems.
I haven't had time to work on this much lately, but I'll switch back to the Nvidia card the machine came with, boot its OEM Windows install, and check for and install any available firmware updates as soon as that changes.

Last edited:
I can see how frustrating this might be. Probably the BIOS update will help this issue. In my case, I would only deactivate the Nvidia gpu when using MacOS. Keep me updated when get back to the project, I'm very interested in this build and if you need any help just ask :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I think I may've forgotten to mention that the display I ordered with my ZBook requires a discrete GPU, but I've made sure that's documented in my GitLab repository now.

Last edited:
I have the G5 variant and some of this might help you, hopefully you can come up with fixes for the missing items on mine.

@RandomDSdevel I saw you were asking if the wx7100 was compatible with the Zbook G5 17, did you ever find out?
I'm worried about a possible BIOS whitelist.

Also what is the Audio codec of the G6? is it the same awful and full of bugs Conexant 8400 that is on the G5?

And last, the NVME drive that ships with the Zbook G5 is not compatible with OSX and will give you a KP, so I have kept my windows install in it and keep it from mounting on OSX by editing the OSX FSTAB.
Keep in mind as the G6 might have the same

@RandomDSdevel I saw you were asking if the wx7100 was compatible with the Zbook G5 17, did you ever find out?
I'm worried about a possible BIOS whitelist.

No. Actually, I eventually came to the following conclusions:
  • AMD doesn't seem to list a mobile variant of the Radeon Pro WX 7100 on its web site, so I almost wonder if it even exists.
  • Even if this card does exist, I have my doubts that it's usable in the HP ZBook 17, be that a G5 or a G6.
  • Other sites which do list such a card rate it as being a 130-watt MXM card, which seems…a bit too power-hungry to be reasonable, to put it mildly. I balked somewhat at what that could mean for battery life even though I really wanted to pack the most powerful discrete GPU I could find into my build.
  • I wasn't ever able to find a suitable heat sink for that card for either the G5 or the G6.
All that being the case, I'm sticking with the WX 4170 mobile; it's a known-good card that HP even offered as a customize-to-order option for the G5 on their web store. (They may also mention it in the G6's Maintenance and Service Guide, though the reference isn't specific enough to tell for certain despite the historical odds of it not being anything but that card.)

I'd recommend you do the same if you want a discrete GPU. (Let me know if you can actually get it working reliably, either exclusively or under graphics switching, before I manage to look into trying my hand at setting one up myself; I've seen on more than a couple places here on the forums that laptops with both integrated and discrete GPUs can be…annoying — and even unstable — to some extent. Seeing the Clover configuration you have for it might help me.) This should serve well enough until I consider upgrading to a newer card. As I may well have expressed before, the Radeon RX 5700M looks nice even though a mobile-workstation variant of it would likely be a better idea, though it is, again, a card beefy enough that would raise concerns about power draw. (According to what I've seen, it's…a 180-watt card. Shiver…)

Also what is the Audio codec of the G6? is it the same awful and full of bugs Conexant 8400 that is on the G5?

I can't boot my machine up and pull this information from it until I've finally had time* to sit down and torubleshoot/fix my graphics card issue, but HP says on its relevant specifications page that the G6 has '[a]udio by Bang & Olufsen.' Vague as that is, who knows what that means…

* Ironically, you'd think I'd have more free time on my hands during the current worldwide situation, but, alas, noooooo… :lol:

And last, the NVME drive that ships with the Zbook G5 is not compatible with OSX and will give you a KP, so I have kept my windows install in it and keep it from mounting on OSX by editing the OSX FSTAB.
Keep in mind as the G6 might have the same

Thanks for the heads-up. As you can tell from what I've posted (originally in my OP and now on my GitLab repository, as well as possibly in this thread,) though, I originally skimped on storage in my laptop order, getting only the lowest available capacity 2.5" SATA-Ⅲ SSD (256 GiB,) and opted to go for replacing it with an aftermarket 4-TiB 2.5" SATA-Ⅲ Samsung 860 Pro SSD that I managed to purchase at a slight discount instead. I should therefore be all set to use that as an internal drive.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have Zbook 17 G6. Can you please share your EFI/CLOVER with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back