Zotac NVidia POS
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Thanks for taking a look at my post :)

So, I've done a bunch of research and I think I've been able to come with a successful build for under $700. My goal was to make a machine built specifically for mixing in Logic Pro using, for which I use a good chunk of Software Instruments.

Here is my build (for OS X 10.7.2):

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB DDR3 PC3 12800 (cas8/1600mhz)
ZOTAC ZT-84GEM2M-HSL GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI-E 2.0
SYBA Model SD-PEX30009 1394b/a PCI-E2.0
WD 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
MSI DVD Burner SATA Model DH-24AS

I will also be keeping all my recordings on an external FW drive to keep read speeds high and un-interfered with.

Any comments/ideas/criticisms? According to what I know, everything *should* be installable but please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

EDIT: GREAT SUCCESS! Here is my official build - viewtopic.php?f=54&t=48611

If you are planning to run Lion....

That board supports video form the Sandy Bridge CPU's.

If you go with the 2600K or 2500K as a processor, you could probably ditch your video card and save some cash or put it into another part of the system.

I have never seen an MSI DVD burner, has anyone else in the forum used this and stated it is compatible?

My only concern about ditching the Graphics card: a lot of the plugins I use analyze waveforms in real time and sometimes I have 3 or 4 going at once. Would using the CPU as a graphics unit impede my audio processing performance? Also, the graphics card is only $15. :3

I haven't seen that particular drive, but it came free with the Hard Drive - I figured I could try it. Honestly, I probably won't need to drive but I figured it might be fun to write a driver for if it needed one

I would stick with the SONY DVD burner.

antigluten said:
My only concern about ditching the Graphics card: a lot of the plugins I use analyze waveforms in real time and sometimes I have 3 or 4 going at once. Would using the CPU as a graphics unit impede my audio processing performance? Also, the graphics card is only $15. :3

I haven't seen that particular drive, but it came free with the Hard Drive - I figured I could try it. Honestly, I probably won't need to drive but I figured it might be fun to write a driver for if it needed one

Thanks for your post. I am trying to convert Lenovo dekstop. Running 10.7.2 fine. But onboard Intel 4500 doesn't seem to work. So I was thinking of adding same graphics card as you mentioned above. I was wondering if this card works out of box or with minor tweaking. Also, did you use UniBeast followed by MultiBeast?

Finally, where did you get it for $15? :)

The Zotac is here (it's 17.99 after rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814500205

I also signed up for the trial thing to get free shipping which was a big plus!

I haven't done my install yet (still waiting for parts to arrive) but it is supposed to work out of box with Graphics Enabler = Yes. See this post for some more detailed info about that card if you want: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37071&p=233887#p233887

edit: i know the post addresses SLeopard 10.6.8 but on the OSx86Project wiki it's listed under compatible hardware for 10.7.2

Good luck!

antigluten said:
The Zotac is here (it's 17.99 after rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814500205

I also signed up for the trial thing to get free shipping which was a big plus!

I haven't done my install yet (still waiting for parts to arrive) but it is supposed to work out of box with Graphics Enabler = Yes. See this post for some more detailed info about that card if you want: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37071&p=233887#p233887

edit: i know the post addresses SLeopard 10.6.8 but on the OSx86Project wiki it's listed under compatible hardware for 10.7.2

Good luck!

Thanks. I purchased Zotac 1GB version from Micro Center. Will try it on Monday. I already have Lion installed so hopefully it will just work!

Just wanted to share good news that Zotac 1GB version worked almost OOB. I had to update kext with device ID and then everything worked like a charm.

BTW, there are bad reports all over net regarding ZOTAC rebates. So I have decided to go with MSI 8400GS from Micro Center. It is available for approx $30 with $10 rebate. Hope that one works like Zotac.

Wonder what options did you use for the multibeast. I got the same MB and CPU. Installed lion using bootable usb. Was able to boot from usb and then pick the hard drive to start the lion. But once I installed the easybeast via the multibeast, I got kernel panic.

Hoorah! After much fussing with this graphics card in 10.7.2, everything works like a dream now (including the free CD/DVD burner I got with the case ;D). Working on typing up my procedure and placing it in the user builds category.

For MultiBeast, I used the UserDSDT and the appropriate DSDT for my board (found under Resources>DSDT Database on this site).

I also had to manually modify some kext files (as well as add NVEnabler 64.kext) using the Lion installer Terminal to include my card's Device ID (see this post for more info: viewtopic.php?t=12646)

I will update this with a link to my build shortly.

EDIT: here it is - viewtopic.php?t=48611

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back