Contribute
Register

My first hackintosh! I want a good machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X99-UD4
CPU
i7-5820K
Graphics
MSi Radeon R9 280X 3GB Gaming
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am selecting all the components to make a hackintosh ! But I also want it to be something good and null noise!

I selected these components:

CPU: LGA1150 i7 4790k
Motherboard: ASUS Z97 -PRO
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical PC314900 1866 CL9 2x8GB
CPU Cooler: Reijintek Ereboss Core Edition ( fanless )
Alimentation: Seasonic Fanless 520 or 660 SemiFanless
Case: R5 White Fractal
SSD: Samsung EVO 500GB

Any criticism ? Proposal for any change ?

I would not run the cooler without a fan.. leave them at minimum but having a fan give you some insurance of not toasting your build.

Isuspect that since you are going for quietness over performance, you would not overclock .. then you don't need a overclockable CPU .. save some money that can better be invested elsewhere

I just finished my first build (so I'm no expert) but I've heard gigabyte motherboards are preferred because they are the easiest to work with. I used a gigabyte z97x-ud5h and once I figured out the correct boot flags it was a breeze.

Like Kazbah said you may not need to drop the extra money on a K.

What are you looking to do with the machine?

I would not run the cooler without a fan.. leave them at minimum but having a fan give you some insurance of not toasting your build.

Isuspect that since you are going for quietness over performance, you would not overclock .. then you don't need a overclockable CPU .. save some money that can better be invested elsewhere

Thank you for your answer!

What CPU cooler do you recommend? I want to make very quiet machine, but I could be overclock in a short term.

I just finished my first build (so I'm no expert) but I've heard gigabyte motherboards are preferred because they are the easiest to work with. I used a gigabyte z97x-ud5h and once I figured out the correct boot flags it was a breeze.

Like Kazbah said you may not need to drop the extra money on a K.

What are you looking to do with the machine?

The main use will be for video and photography edition; secondly, for general use.

Your going with all that processor and you don't have a discrete graphics card? If you are building for graphics you really should add a graphics card.

I want to make very quiet machine, but I could be overclock in a short term.

You will have to define quiet better here because these two statements are opposing one another.

When I started my build originally I wanted it to be as quiet as a real iMac at idle, so i bought a Corsair H60 AIO Water Cooler .. wrong choice it is noiser than a good air cooler at no/mild overclock because pushing air thru a radiator at 800 rpm (was the lowest the fan could go) make more noise than thru air cooler (Noctua NH-U12S 500 rpm) but at high clock you will not need to speed your fans as much with water cooling than air because water conducts heat 4x better than air. Also had a reference design GTX 760 .. the fans on it made it impossible to not notice the computer when entering the room even at idle the fans would keep on spinning. Thankfully the Maxwell cards now have 'no fan until I need it ' option. So exit GTX 760 in came MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G.

The truth is you can't have it all .. the more you will be overclocking, the more heat you will generate and thus you have to dissipate that heat .. the more fan power you need and fans brings in noise. It is simple physics ...

The main use will be for video and photography edition

Professionnal (earning $) , enthusiast (prosumer) or hobby ?

I am selecting all the components to make a hackintosh ! But I also want it to be something good and null noise!

I selected these components:

CPU: LGA1150 i7 4790k
Motherboard: ASUS Z97 -PRO
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical PC314900 1866 CL9 2x8GB
CPU Cooler: Reijintek Ereboss Core Edition ( fanless )
Alimentation: Seasonic Fanless 520 or 660 SemiFanless
Case: R5 White Fractal
SSD: Samsung EVO 500GB

Any criticism ? Proposal for any change ?
You sure that fanless cooler will work? I mean, You have an i7 quad core that's fairly high clocked, I'd hate to imagine how much heat that thing will throw out, better be safe than sorry, I can recommend you a silent fan cooler or a good water cooling setup if you like.

You will have to define quiet better here because these two statements are opposing one another.

When I started my build originally I wanted it to be as quiet as a real iMac at idle, so i bought a Corsair H60 AIO Water Cooler .. wrong choice it is noiser than a good air cooler at no/mild overclock because pushing air thru a radiator at 800 rpm (was the lowest the fan could go) make more noise than thru air cooler (Noctua NH-U12S 500 rpm) but at high clock you will not need to speed your fans as much with water cooling than air because water conducts heat 4x better than air. Also had a reference design GTX 760 .. the fans on it made it impossible to not notice the computer when entering the room even at idle the fans would keep on spinning. Thankfully the Maxwell cards now have 'no fan until I need it ' option. So exit GTX 760 in came MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G.

The truth is you can't have it all .. the more you will be overclocking, the more heat you will generate and thus you have to dissipate that heat .. the more fan power you need and fans brings in noise. It is simple physics ...

Professionnal (earning $) , enthusiast (prosumer) or hobby ?

like an enthusiast (prosumer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back