Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z270 Asus Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I've got an old g5 case and i'm trying now to build a new Hackintosh. I bought an ATX kit by the laserhive, everything is prepared to get started quite soon. But first i need to buy the right equipment to build inside. Therefore i need some advise and I am very thankful for every little hint. I'm quite unaware if everything fits inside this case. Here's the list of pieces I want to put inside, Feel free to comment or ad if something is missing or needed.

- Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5
- Core i7-7700K
- Corsair H60 (Water)
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (32GB)
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
- Seagate Barracuda 1TB
- Corsair RM 650x Watt
- TP-Link Archer T9E 802.11AC AC1900
- some dvd-drive, any advice?
- I will need two more small Fans for the backside. Any advice?

It's my first time building a computer on my own, so i'm quite new and happy if you can give me some advice.

If you browse around the forum, you'll get plenty of ideas. You'll see some you like and some you must have! Reading the builds of others is part of the fun process. If you want to keep the dvd, you could use almost any model and remove the small cover on the sliding tray and keep the original G5 system. Personally, I love the noctua fans and coolers, they are well built and very very quiet.

I'm in the same place as Faxinus, more or less. I already have a (broken) G5 and I understand the compatibility-list, but I get the idea there is so much more to know if you want to do a nice clean Hackintosh. Specially since I have zero experience in building PC's. Sure, it's part of the fun to sort everything out and I'm not afraid to get hands-on and fire up a Dremel, but I would hate to mess up the case / parts, choose a bad combination or find out afterwards I'd better chosen a different part with more options or better compatibility etc.

I know nothing of PC parts so everything is abracadabra too me, from memory specs to ATX-sizes.

Hey Laptopleon
You can find many informations about the modding of your G5 case on the Website of the Laserhive. https://www.thelaserhive.com/kits/powermac-g5-conversion-products/

I've bought the original full ATX and a Fan/Radiator Brackets (140mm) from the laserhive. It's up to you which one you choose.

@Charlee78. I've now read a lot of builts, posts and threads and decided on following parts:

- Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5
- CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
- CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
- RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB (32GB)
- SAMSUNG 850 Evo Series SSD, 1.0TB (MZ-75E1T0B)
- WD green 3TB WD30EZRX
- WD green 4TB WD40EZRX
- PCI-E: ABWB 802.11AC WI-FI With Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E) BCM943602CS Combo Card For Hackintosh
- PSU: SEA SONIC Prime Platinum, 650 Watt (SSR-650PD)
- 2x NOCTUA NF-B9 (92mm)
- 2x NOCTUA NF-A14 FLX (140mm)
- Optical Drive: SAMSUNG SH-224GB, DVD±RW, black, Bulk (SH-224GB/BEBE)
- 1x G5 ATX Adapter Cable from BlackCHmods

I hope everything will fit inside. Do you think, the PSU delivers enough Power? Any comments on this List?
I'm glad if you could tell me if anything is wrong or incompatible!

That seems to be a complete list! It will be a beast! Make sure you get the usb cable with the bluetooth card because mine didn't came with it and I had to wait some more time for it. As for the power supply, I don't know that brand but you can find out how much power you need here: https://seasonic.com/psu-calculator/

With the hardware you chose, it states you need 398W so you should be good!!And the fact that you chose a modular power supply will make a huge difference in cable management.

For the cpu cooler you have to be careful of the height because my build had a maximum height of 160mm but removing the cpu cover and the clear plastic wasn't an option for me. If you're not planning on putting them back you might have more room.

- Corsair H60 (Water)
- some dvd-drive, any advice?
- I will need two more small Fans for the backside. Any advice?

You can see some pictures of my old setup here. I also had a Corsair H60, albeit in a different case. The tubes take up some space. As you can see in my pictures, there is not much volume above the CPU and before the back 120 mm fan mount. The tubes might not fit in there.

I usually recommend Blu Ray drives over DVD drives. Pioneer drives are recognized natively by macOS. BR drives are only a little bit more expensive than DVD drives, but using a burning app like Toast you can use them for backup media (25 to 100GB).

I also advise against purchasing too strong PSUs. Nowadays you don't need 650W PSUs anymore. A lot of people don't seem to realize that the watt consumption is going down these days, whereas in the past it went up from generation to generation. You usually take the TDP of your CPU and GPU, add 30W (for peripherals). Then you take the watts of your PSU and multiply by 0.8 (because PSUs are usually rated for 20% degredation over five years). For my 7700K + GTX 1070 I went with a 550W PSU. If you bought a 7700 or 7600 you might go even for a 450W PSU.

Hey Fraxinus,

I just stumbled over your post while looking if the Noctua NH-D15 fits into a Laserhive-modified G5. The big question is: did it fit? ;)

Thanks in advance for the info!

Yesi have a NH-D15 now in my old G5 Case. It fitted in well (not a lot space left), in ever aspect i can recommend you this cooler. It works flawless for me, and they have friendly customer service.

Meanwhile, I build the G5 hackintosh. However, I didn't use it a lot, mostly because my old Mac Pro 2008 and rMBP 2013 were still fine. Now the MB is starting to fail, but the Mac Pro is still fine. Even put Mojave on it :)

Worse is, that the Vega 56 graphics card is also failing and now send back for repairs. It was acting sketchy from the start. I thought it was because of the hackingtosh part, but now my wife was using it on a Windows disk and after a week it went bonkers. Black screen interruptions for a few seconds mostly.

To top it of, my hackintosh installation asked for a login. The weird thing is, that I deliberately kept it blank.. So now I can't get into my hackintosh account. It must be possible to reset the password but that's too complicated for me, so I think I'll just have to re-do it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back